KBFI chow hound out/return

A Living Legend
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

KBFI chow hound out/return

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi .
Today was warmer at KBFI , temp/dewpoint both at 2 deg , first time its been above freezeing in about a week at boeing field , engines started reasonably well , considering the hrs they have on them .
It was raining and low cloud at T/O , headed towards KPAE then went down the river chanel to the open sea , followed the coast to my right until i had 3hrs fuel left , then turned around for my eventual landing at KBFI , tried a slightly different route on return , as i could see the weather was slightly better , than where i had been , and could see thunderstorms starting up , route back proved a lot better , so my choice was a good one . did a good landing at KBFI , still raining though , taxiied to same stand , but before shutting down , i decided to experiment with my throttle settings , as the engine control between 1000/1500rpm , was very hap hazard , so tried pos and neg slopes , just on one engine , found the a slope of 5 , ment i had to move my CH throttle more , for the 1000/1500 rpm range , but the engine moved more smoothely than before , now all engines have been adjusted to the same settings , later on i will attempt to start my ageing engines , and do some circuits , to check the t/o power has not been effected by the adjustments to the lower end of the throttle movement.
airframe now 166.4 hrs
engines
1 59.3 hrs
2 60.7 hrs
3 63.6 hrs
4 62.1 hrs
video of flight :- https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/108496398
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: KBFI chow hound out/return

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Did a test flight , to check the new throttle settings , engines started no real drama , the weather had closed in with a ceiling of 1000ft , and it was getting dark , put the uv lights on , and had to taxi to the far end , for runway 31L , which gave a good test of the engine control between 1000/1500 rpm , so taxi speed over haul was better , considering the faults on the taxiway , that give sections that seem as if oil as been spilled on it , and other parts of taxiway acts as if glue was on it , takeoff speed seemed unafected by the changes , first test apart from the weather been bad shows promise on the engine control mods in FSUIPC , for the CH quad throttles , more tests are required to confirm results .
video of aircraft , with the new throttle settings:- https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/108562678
airframe 167.6
engines
1 60.4 hrs
2 61.8 hrs
3 64.8 hrs
4 63.3 hrs
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”