KBFI chow hound eng startup problems

A Living Legend
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

KBFI chow hound eng startup problems

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today i downloaded and installed two repaints man o war , and chow hound , and had a problem with man o war not being recognised in fsx , turns out the file for the thumbnail , needed to be put into the texture file seperatly , and renamed to thumbnail , not yet tried man o war .
UPDATE:- man o war by john barner , i will be deleting as there are a few parts not right . looking for a replacement .
UPDATE 2 :- aircraft memphis belle (v2) by gunnar van der meeren has replaced man o war.
Started my flight in chow hound , at KBFI with ASN giving very cold temps , had difficulty starting and keeping engines running , but they where not coming to temp , and exhibiting problems , shut them down , in the hangar the engines showed no faults , not sure if weather ASN or Twitch might have some how interfered with the engines , i decided to shut everything down , and start again , with just FSX/ASN .
Once i had FSX/ASN up an running with chow hound on the heavy stand at KBFI , checked in the hangar , only fault was rh worn gear , all engines passed inspection , checked fuel/oil qtys , did a bat check , then set up for engine starts , engine 3 now showing 50 hrs my oldest eng , it turned over , but refused to start , atis was giveing temp as -4 and dew point -6 , so decided to try the winter oil , this did the trick , but every engine that started had a red message on shift+2 page stateing all engines had problems , knowing the hangar showed no faults , i can only think it was caused by low oil pressure on warm up , took a chance and taxiied to runway and took off , sofar all engines appear ok , and aircraft is in flight as i write this at fl195,
video of my first attempt at getting the engines started and failed to warm up:- https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/108023998
video of second attempt and still flying:- https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/108047289
Well i kept a close eye on the engines and inst on this 3.3 hr trip , once the rpm was above 1500 the oil pressure was in the green , engines took a lot to fire up , now have the winter oil in , so its thinner , and with the engines being old , and worn , this can only hasten the wear rate of the engines , so just wondering how long it will be , before any fail , also that RH gear to keep an eye on , and haveing to watch my landings , to make sure they are not heavy , or it could collapse , if that happens , it will also take out the engines/props on that side , the other thing to worry about regarding the RH gear , with it being worn , will it fail to retract/extend , so i have to be prepared for that during the next trip or two .
Engine hrs .
1 49.8
2 50.9
3 53.3
4 52.1
Took up Memphis belle for a trip of 2.1 hrs , very nice repaint , engines still holding out , but the vibration on all of them is now noticable ,on landing the hyd pump was showing as worn , only replaced that 2 days ago , seeing as its needed for cowl flaps/brakes i replaced it , but rh gear still showing worn.
video of memphis belle :- https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/108129126
engine hrs now.
1 51.7
2 52.8
3 55.4
4 54.1
regards alan. 8)

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: KBFI chow hound eng startup problems

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Hey Alan,
I'm in Russia with my B-17. I just departed Orenburg and the temp was -18C on the tarmac. At these temps it is necessary to run turbo selector at 10 while idling to keep carb temps in the green. I have really been struggling to keep carb temps in the green during this part of my European Tour, especially during the descent to final. Running turbo dial at 10 (or as high as needed) and making a slow descent in an effort to keep some power applied as well as higher RPM's than I would normally descend with has all been helping. However it is still a constant battle with carb temps. I don't think my intercoolers have been more than 0% in the last 8 flights or so.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”