SoCal meet up to see a REAL B-17?

A Living Legend
new reply
Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

SoCal meet up to see a REAL B-17?

Post by Tailspin45 »

Just occurred to me that it might be fun for we few SoCal A2A B-17 aficionados to gather at KCRQ April 28 - May 1 to lay hands on, or perhaps drool on, a real B-17 and compare notes.

I guess, given Collings Foundation typical schedule, it's safe to assume they'll be in mid-day on the 28th and leave mid-day on the 1st. So let's shoot for either Friday the 29th when there are less people or the 30th when its easier to arrange around work schedules?

If you're in, B-17 lover or not, answer up here with what works best, and we'll try to come to some general agreement on day/time?
Walk Through Tour Times (no reservations needed):

Friday– 9:00 AM till 5:00 PM
Saturday – 9:00 AM till 5:00 PM

$12 Adults / $6 Children 12 and under.

Flights take place before and after tours.
30-minute flight on the B-17 or B-24 is $450 per person
30-minute flight training on the P-51C is $2200
60-minute flight training on the P-51C is $3200
30-minute flight training on the B-25 is $2500

Flight Experiences take place before and after tours. Call 978-562-9182 for flight reservations.

Flight Experiences aboard the B-17 or B-24 are a donation of $450 per person for a 30-minute flight experience.

Flight Experiences aboard the B-25 are a donation of $400 per person for a 30-minute flight experience.

Flight training in the TP-51C "Betty Jane" is $2200 for a half hour flight, and $3200 for a full hour. All participants will get the chance to feel what it was like to fly one of the most legendary fighters of WWII.

Walkthrough tours of the aircraft on the ground are $12 for adults, and $6 for children 12 and under for access to all of the aircraft. WWII Veterans get into the ground tours at no charge.
Last edited by Tailspin45 on 19 Apr 2016, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Blue skies and tailwinds

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Re: SoCal met up to see a REAL B-17?

Post by crazac »

I'm in and down for any time on those days.

I will also try to post up on Thursday with a telephoto lens for their approach.

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Re: SoCal meet up to see a REAL B-17?

Post by Tailspin45 »

There's a Starbucks at the top of the hill off Palomar Airport Road on final, within feet of centerline. Back patio is perfect or in the field just east, they go overhead at about 400' or less and then you get a great shot down the runway as they land. Shot the following from there with iPhone through a small telescope.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-iRdyPqvo4[/youtube]
Last edited by Tailspin45 on 19 Apr 2016, 10:52, edited 2 times in total.
Blue skies and tailwinds

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I'd love to go. Just to far away :cry:

You guys have a great time (and maybe share some pictures :wink: please)!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Tailspin45 wrote:There's a Starbucks at the top of the hill off Palomar Airport Road on final, within feet of centerline. Back patio is perfect or in the field just east, they go overhead at about 400' or less and then you get a great shot down the runway as they land. Shot the following from there with iPhone through a small telescope.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-iRdyPqvo4[/youtube]
Yep, That's the plan. I will probably go out saturday to scout the set up and test. I wasn't sure if we could get out in the field or not. I've been meaning to do this anyway. Now I have a perfect excuse :D

HA!! Nice video! good job.

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

If I have the schedule right, they get in early afternoon Thursday, aircraft tours and fly Friday and Saturday, leave late morning Sunday. If we're going to have a meet up there it probably should be Friday PM or Saturday. can't get out on to the airfield except for tours. But the empty field west of Starbucks on short final seems to be fine.

Speaking of tours, don't know if you've climbed around inside a B-17, but it's only ten bucks and we'll worth it.

Of course if you've flown the A2A B-17 much you needn't bother, you've "been there, done that". (Actually, that's not true. The real thing is amazing, if removed from the imagined action available in FSX with plugins.)

The number of flights the real B-17 does depends on demand, and sometimes maintenance issues, but I'll be in contact with my friend who is the Coordinator, and will let you know what the flight schedule looks like.

Last edited by Tailspin45 on 22 Apr 2016, 07:59, edited 2 times in total.
Blue skies and tailwinds

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Tailspin45 wrote:If I have the schedule right, they get in early afternoon Thursday, aircraft tours and fly Friday and Saturday, leave late morning Sunday. If we're going to have a meet up there it probably should be Friday PM or Saturday. can't get out on to the airfield except for yours. But the empty field west of Starbucks seems to be fine.

Speaking of tours, don't know if you've climbed around inside a B-17, but it's only ten bucks and we'll worth it.

Of course if you've flown the A2A B-17 much you needn't bother, you've "been there, done that". (Actually, that's not true. The real things is amazing, if removed from the imagined action.)

The number of flights the real B-17 does depends on demand, and sometimes maintenance issues, but I'll be in contact with my friend who is the Coordinator, and will let you know what the flight schedule looks like.
I meant scouting this Saturday as a opposed to meeting there next Saturday. I'm only interested in the hill for the arrival and or departure. So next Thursday and or Sunday.

I'm down to climb all over the bombers. I don't think I've ever even seen one, maybe as a kid, and haven't got the A2A bird yet.

I don't have the funds to buy a flight, but, if they need to fill a seat I have two cheeks and a smile.

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

crazac wrote:two cheeks and a smile.
Atta boy! They served you well at Ramona, might work at Palomar. But don’t hold your, um, breath.

Yeah, this Saturday for location spotting is good. Get some arriving biz jets or whatever.

As before, let's sally forth next Saturday and see what fate awaits.
Blue skies and tailwinds

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

:lol: Definitely not holding my breath. Just putting it out there :twisted: I'm happy to just climb around and get photos. Maybe have a cigaret :wink: Ha, jk, I don't smoke. :mrgreen:

Saturday works for me. I have a friend who can't make friday, due to his ppl lessons. (jealous :evil: ) But, he should be able to come through Saturday. I might roll through Friday to do the photos and then Saturday I can relax and enjoy.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”