Ground operation in hot temperature

A Living Legend
new reply
heartbreak61
Airman

Ground operation in hot temperature

Post by heartbreak61 »

Hi,
I usually fly my B-17 in my country airspace. My country is tropical country, so I would expect 31-34 celcius degrees of outside temperature on ground.

My problem is even with more dense oil and fully opened cowl flaps, the CAT and Cylinder Temperature are still going over the maximum allowed temperature when i'm doing taxi or take-off roll. Luckily, when flying, it gradually goes to desired temp as more wind blows in.

What should I do to keep my engine cooler?

Thanks

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Ground operation in hot temperature

Post by Jacques »

If you have the runway length, less power on takeoff would help. If you have to do a full power takeoff then clmb only as high as you safely need so you can start increasing airspeed.
Accomplish a very flat climb to above 10000' where you will start to get into cooler air. Be careful of a too rapid reduction in power when the engines are very hot or you will likely experience greater engine wear and possible damage. So power reductions should be gradual.

heartbreak61
Airman

Re: Ground operation in hot temperature

Post by heartbreak61 »

Jacques wrote:If you have the runway length, less power on takeoff would help. If you have to do a full power takeoff then clmb only as high as you safely need so you can start increasing airspeed.
Accomplish a very flat climb to above 10000' where you will start to get into cooler air. Be careful of a too rapid reduction in power when the engines are very hot or you will likely experience greater engine wear and possible damage. So power reductions should be gradual.
Thanks. I usually fly from and to big airports with long runways. So I guess I can just reduce my takeoff power setting.

I too, had a thought about that before. But because the manual says that I should takeoff with full power, then I dropped that idea.

And thanks for your tips on slowly reducing power. I'll keep that in mind. :)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”