Speech Recognition Copilot for the A2A B-17

A Living Legend
lequinne
Airman

Re: Speech Recognition Copilot for the A2A B-17

Post by lequinne »

Kilstorm,

Does the settings box fail to appear with the Sim in both windowed (normal) mode and full-screen mode? What's your operating system?

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? What sim version and OS?

Thanks for your patience! This is my first time distributing/supporting something across different systems... It's challenging and fun.

Farley

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

The test flight was a huge success in P3Dv3! The only thing I couldnt do was have the RPM take off feature used since I dont have the ability to do the checkboxes from the CP. Heres a video of screen grabs and two sim shots taken during the test flight.
https://vimeo.com/144988918

I use a touch screen 10" monitor for the C-1 which works great and can be seen in this demo video.
https://vimeo.com/126688253
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

lequinne wrote:Kilstorm,

Does the settings box fail to appear with the Sim in both windowed (normal) mode and full-screen mode? What's your operating system?

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? What sim version and OS?

Thanks for your patience! This is my first time distributing/supporting something across different systems... It's challenging and fun.

Farley
Yeah I only do window mode when setting up a flight so its a no show in window. I see it for a split second and then P3D returns focus and its gone and not hidden behind the P3D window.

OS is Windows 7 64bit, P3Dv3.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

lequinne
Airman

Post by lequinne »

Kilstorm,

I'm glad the test flight went well, you've got a pretty sweet setup! 8)

I suspect P3d doesn't like the "modeless" dialog box. I used it despite the warnings posted on FS developer forums, because it works on my system and I think it's a tiny bit cooler. Next version (coming in a couple/few days) will revert to a more traditional modal dialog, which should fix the problem.

In the meantime, for anyone having an issue with the settings window, here's a copy of my Copilot.cfg file, which is what the window generates:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13r9c6nig6tzz ... t.cfg?dl=0

Open this file in Notepad, edit the settings as you desire, and pop it in your panels folder alongside your B17CP.dll. The copilot will read the file when the aircraft is loaded and your settings will be applied.

Sincerely,
Farley

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Thanks for the cfg file, will test it out tomorrow. I made a word doc of a checklist using the calls I will most likely want to use based off of your manual. I've removed some of the calls I wont use because I have sim switches I can do to get the action done. This checklist is only useful after having done the manual you created and having a good idea what is done with the calls and when.

Got to give you props one more time for this addon as it certainly is a great tool that only adds to the accusim immersion.

Heres the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tghwz661pxeng ... s.pdf?dl=0

lequinne
Airman

Post by lequinne »

Wow!!! :D :D

That is Superb!!!! Certainly much more accessible, readable, and useful "on the fly" than my manual. Would you mind if I include it in the main download link, with proper credit given to you, of course?

Definitely no need to use all the commands! In the spirit of the early '40s, I really wanted to make the whole thing as flexible as possible, so each pilot can develop their own personalized procedures.

Cheers,
Farley

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

lequinne wrote:Wow!!! :D :D

That is Superb!!!! Certainly much more accessible, readable, and useful "on the fly" than my manual. Would you mind if I include it in the main download link, with proper credit given to you, of course?

Definitely no need to use all the commands! In the spirit of the early '40s, I really wanted to make the whole thing as flexible as possible, so each pilot can develop their own personalized procedures.

Cheers,
Farley
No need to worry about credits and feel free to do with it whatever you want..its your work just repackaged in the first place ;) Some users might like to have gear and landing lights calls etc but I have removed them from my checklist as I like to do that manually. I was going to do it and a old style type writer font but figured not everyone would have that and I would need to make it a jpeg file instead so went with simple.

I do wonder if there is a way to have a call to set the gear in a neutral position so when the user goes to lower or raise the gear its going from neutral to up or down which would cause the gear to move. Right now once I raise the gear from neutral to up I have no issue but to land I have to use the vc and mouse to reset it to neutral in order to lower the gear at landing.

lequinne
Airman

Post by lequinne »

Thanks!!! :D :D

What I think I'll do is have the copilot just return the switch to neutral uncommanded a few seconds after the crew confirms gear up if you leave it in the up position. It's what a real copilot would do, I feel.

In the meantime you can say "gear's up" as a notification of your own action, or to confirm the gear is up, and the copilot will return the switch to neutral once he checks and confirms it is up... ;)

Farley

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Made those distressed vintage looking checklist and added the PSD file as well.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rrh1bt4me8pd ... zoW-a?dl=0

lequinne
Airman

Post by lequinne »

That looks really great, I love the font!! I put both links up on the top post...

Farley

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Did some more testing with the CoPilot Cfg file in and all seems fine. Did a pattern at FairBanks Alaska with real weather giving me a -16C OAT so this was a good test in cold weather. Got my first engine running but flooded the second one. On the third engine I hand pumped the primer 5 times then called for engine start and that worked. Did the same on the last engine and that worked and manually went back to the flooded engine and started it without calling for the CoPilot to do it and didnt prime and got it running.

Inflight and on the ground tried some of the fuel xfer commands as regular and timed events and all worked well. Did manual cranking of gear and flaps but for some reason my flaps gauge did not show them working but outside visual inspections showed them down.

So far no real issues. The only thing I can think of is offering a cold weather start where the CoPilot primes it a set amount of times before starting up the motor spinner thing so that it gets about 8 or 9 primes before its ready to mesh.

Perhaps by adding the phrase "Cold Start" to the various command list like "Cold Start Engine One" ?!

The only thing left to test is feathering the engine inflight. Aside from that (which on the ground test went well) and with the exception of Control Panel not showing during start up with the CoPilot Cfg is the work around, I'd say its 100% for P3Dv3 which is great news!

lequinne
Airman

Post by lequinne »

That IS great news!!!! I really appreciate your testing and feedback!

I'm planning to upload the next version on Friday or Saturday morning, I'll try to get some added primer flexibility in there for extreme cold weather starts and flooded engines. Should be pretty straightforward.

Hmm... Flaps indicator works on my machine, and I'm about as sure as a programmer can be that my code is not affecting it in any way. If I may be so bold... I wonder would you get different behavior if you double-check your inverter on and a reading on your AC voltmeter? 8-)

Farley

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Yeah I dont think the Flaps indicator had anything to do with CoPilot and more a Accusim feature and something I overlooked in start up. Nothing broken Im sure, just pilot error.

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

More good news...now that I put the CoPilot cfg file into the panel folder instead of having the dll file create one when I first used the plane after installing the file, I can now access the CP both in window and full frame mode. So all a user needs to do is put the dll and cfg file into the panel folder, add the text to the panel.cfg file and they should be all set in P3Dv3. they can then change any value in the CP once in the sim from the CP or as text in the cfg file.

lequinne
Airman

Post by lequinne »

Kilstorm,

That is great news, I'm glad it's working!! But I've got to admit it has me a little perplexed... Am I understanding correctly:

The settings window would not appear (or appear fleetingly) at aircraft load, and would not appear when the "addons: copilot" menu entry was clicked. and then...
The only change you made was to add Copilot.cfg to your Panels folder, and now the settings window appears as it should when you click the menu entry?

If anyone else has had this issue in any Sim version please let me know!!

Farley

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”