how you do a Mag check on this beast?

A Living Legend
new reply
cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

I finally got my B-17 cold and dark when I load her flight. but I was wondering do the pilots of the real thing do a magneto check before boring holes in the sky? ever since I have been flying this thing I have never done that or checked my turbo chargers to make sure they are all even :oops: I just jump in fire it up wait for the engines to get warm and then go bore some holes in the clouds.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: how you do a Mag check on this beast?

Post by Tug002 »

I have to admit that I rarely do a mag check on the B-17 before flying but I do set up the turbo's while on the ground so I have equal and maximum power on take off.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

oh ok so then you can't do a Mag check on it? or it's just tricky?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

You can definitely do a mag check on the B-17! It is easier to do from the co-pilots seat (or with track IR). Put your mouse cursor on the desired mag switch and use the mouse wheel to carefully move the switch. If you accidentally switch it "off", then leave it off, reconfigure the engine for starting and re-start. Doesn't take long and it is part of the enjoyment of having such a complex aircraft.

Okay, I'm going to amend this by saying if you don't have track IR then it is easier to do the checks from the pilots side, if not making it somewhat harder to see the RPM indicator. If you do have track IR, I think it easier to lean forward a bit to move the mag switches because it is far easier for me to see the RPM indicator!

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

:D well I do have track IR. so maybe the next time I try taking this thing up I will try a mag check. if they do them IRL why do them virtually? but do they do them in real life though? I have seen the B-17 Nine O Nine in real life but I don't know what procedures they use :oops:

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Look at this video, part 1 of a 3 part series. At 9:20 into video you here the hydraulic pump cycle as the pilot advance the throttles. Both pilots close their windows, then the pilot leans forward and performs the mag check. It's pretty quick- that whole portion of the preflight is over by 9:46 (26 seconds). Yes, I think they do mag checks in the real world! Heres the video: http://youtu.be/QX-G5B4WY_4

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, one of those sim v real life, in sim land we can just up and go, but when your life depends upon it thats another story :)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

that's true. but here's a question for a ground check what RPM would you use? as there is no procedure in the B-17 check list for this.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

To exercise propellers and turbos, set at 1500 RPM. To check magnetos, turbos "off" and increase throttle, one engine at a time, to achieve 28" MP, then check left and right mag. To calibrate turbo, set throttles at 28" MP and turn turbo dial to 8. Then, one engine at a time, push throttle full forward, which should give 45".MP. Use the turbo pots to adjust to 45" (30 seconds max). Repeat for each engine.

Taken from a B-17 F/G manual, but it works pretty well for me!

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

oh ok I will have to try this. it would add a bit more realism to flying it.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”