Update B17 cockpit?

A Living Legend
Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Update B17 cockpit?

Post by Snuffy »

Its been a while for me, but I do recall that FSX does provide a GPS option that installs as a "dialog/window" box over the view of the pit.

There is no need for A2A to butcher the cockpit they have to wonk in a gps system that's not needed.

See how badly technology has ruined the children of today. Its a cryin shame.
Snuffy

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Adding modern instruments is one thing, but there would need to be much more done to make a modern B17. Removing weight, the crew, the radio broadcasts, ect.

bastins
Senior Airman

Post by bastins »

Snuffy wrote:See how badly technology has ruined the children of today. Its a cryin shame.
Yeah, I hate progress.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

bastins wrote:
Snuffy wrote:See how badly technology has ruined the children of today. Its a cryin shame.
Yeah, I hate progress.
Being part of the first generation to truly embrace technology, and the last generation to actually carry quarters in my pocket to call home, I can't say it's always progress. Not to go too far down this hole, but we've taken piloting out of flying. Now everyone wants to "manage" their plane. What people like is their business, but, I ABSOLUTELY see both sides of the fence on this one. That being said, I have a whole stable of modern planes for FSX. There's no need to get A2A to fit my particular needs, as they're far better developers when they're building what they want.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Alan_A wrote: At the risk of repeating myself, what I'd really like to see for the B-17 is a couple of variant external models of civilianized versions - visual only, no need for revised flight dynamics - that would allow a few postwar missions - SAR, cargo-hauling, etc.
Repeat away, Alan - I too would love a demilitarized post-war B-17, such as those used by the French Institut Geographic National. In fact, a lot of preserved Fortresses owe their survival to the IGN, including Sally B and the presently grounded Pink Lady.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

There are a couple of nice IGN options - this one by Jankees that I've used often, and this rather attractive one by Martial Feron that I've just discovered.

Unfortunately, of course, they still carry their armaments. When flying them, I've tried to convince myself that the turrets and mounts are equipped with, not guns, but rather some sort of survey instrument. Sometimes I convince myself. Mostly I don't.

So... one more time... A2A... civilianized Fortress, please...
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Alan_A wrote: So... one more time... A2A... civilianized Fortress, please...
Two more times ! And I would be happy to pay for it. :)

braindart
Airman Basic

Post by braindart »

Would be sweet to have both vintage and modern avionics in this bird, I love flying her already and would enjoy shooting ILS approaches in her that much more

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

You can shoot an ILS as is - there's an ILS gauge at the top of the captain's panel, just above the altimeter and ASI. No OBI but it'll indicate both localizer and glideslope. Works off the Nav 1 radio. Of course, you can't tune a second VOR, just an NDB, so you can't really fly a full instrument procedure. So yes, agree completely - a couple of modern nav instruments - maybe with a nice "period" look - would be a good enhancement.

Still holding my breath... 8)
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Post by mountainhighair »

Like braindart said, a simple solution is for A2A to come out with a modernized version that stays true to the original. Provide both versions. They did this with the P-51, but they wouldn't even have to go that far. The Mustang was recreated as a Civvy with the external model being edited. That would not be necessary with the B-17 - only a cockpit mod. Creating a modernized version of the cockpit would not detract from what has already been created. Edit some weight factors and this is a simple project that would satisfy many customers. Why not do this? Minimal effort for large profit gain and customer appreciation. No brainer...
I know some see such a move as being sacrilegious, but nothing is taken away from the original. Let folks have their fun. This is just computer flying anyway. It's like sports - we get wrapped up in it, but in the end, what does it matter? It's just fun and games.

matt_smith
Senior Airman

Post by matt_smith »

This is how I bring my B-17 into the 21st Century, full moving map with weather overlay running on my laptop courtesy of ASN and a little tinkering.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

That is well well well too clean! :mrgreen: 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

matt_smith
Senior Airman

Post by matt_smith »

Lewis - A2A wrote:That is well well well too clean! :mrgreen: 8)
What can I say, other than you can't see all the junk on the spare bed. I am a bit of a clean freak though

Sent from the ISS using Tapatalk

caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Post by caribpilot »

Sorry to resurrect this old topic but I'm curious to know if A2A will give this any consideration in giving new life to this add-on? I'm asking because a lot can change in the two years since the original response of "not planned."

Also, any thoughts on a version that removes the guns? Post war, the B-17 saw life in many other uses and they removed the guns as seen here in this coast guard version.
M.Carter
Private Pilot

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”