B-17 sound enhancement on full throttle

A Living Legend
R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

B-17 sound enhancement on full throttle

Post by R-2800-59 »

Dear B-17 flyers out there,

I love, love, love the take offs on the 17, reving up those 4 shaking beauties out of the window.

Really enjoyed the sound of that, too.

Until I saw that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLrgh0mZTDE

The real steel has some different behaviour than the A2A soundset ( nevertheless, it's a masterpiece, you really caught the overall athmosphere perfectly ):

Beginning at 2400-2500 rpm, the props' blade tips break the sound barrier what causes the high-pitching and breathtaking noise in the recording. The actual engine sound gets more overshadowed the higher we push the rpm. This effect isn't simulated with the default sound set.

After some time, I missed the audible max. power while taking off, some noise to realize that those engines are being revved and pushed to the red line.

I took myself some time, analyzed the real-steel recordings and created this little "enhancement" to give myself and you dear simmers the feeling of nearly 5000 horsepower next to your ears.

http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/36445971/file.html

Please don't reupload without asking and report any bugs to me.

Have fun with it!

Marko

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: B-17 sound enhancement on full throttle

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The A2A sound set was created from actual B-17's (3 of them) during the development period using professional sound equipment and special engine runs. You can see some of the action here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_1W9o-E3dA
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

Plus the fact that the cameraman was located in the nose of the 17', the most loudest part of the fortress in any position. I'm guessing A2A recorded their B-17 engine sounds in the cockpit, to get more of a sojnd rather than mostly prop noise. I think A2A hit it eight on the money
ImageImageImage

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

Now I am ashamed... Didn't want to grump about your soundset, as I've said it's a masterpiece.

The 17 in the video really sounded 100% like the original files, however I prefer some more noise.

Hope I didn't affront your sound engineers :oops:

Marko

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

No problem at all Marko, choice is good. Just wanted to make sure though that you where aware of exactly where the source comes from.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

I love your commitment in each project you release. Top notch.

Didn't know that the bombardier was first in need of ear protection on board!

To excuse my mod, I worked out a compromise. It actually blends with the original sounds and the prop tip noise isn't too dominant... I am working on a mp3 demo right now

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

There is my little demo, directly recorded within the system so you'll know what awaits you.

A regular take off run, you'll hear the throttling up from 1100rpm to TO power (2700rpm, 46InHG).
After the copilot's call that they're getting warm I first throttled back to climb settings (2300rpm, 38InHG)
and then to fast cruise (2200rpm, 34InHG).

http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/41526300/file.html

Better to download the mp3, the player's quality is antique.

Capt Richardo
Airman

Post by Capt Richardo »

I tried the enhancement and ... I like it.

For me it gives the sence that the engines are giving all they have, nice job and thanks for sharing.

Rich

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

Nice to hear, that was the effect I wanted to achieve!

Kiwi Spitfire
Senior Airman

Post by Kiwi Spitfire »

It is always good to remember that just because something sounds a certain way in a video - doesn't mean it sounds that way for real. As an extreme example, imagine that video was captured with a B&W camera....you would be like OMG I didn't realise when you look out a B-17 window everything is black and white! :lol:

A2A have captured the sounds in the FD with professional high quality recording equipment, which pretty much is the best representation you could get, apart from actually being there. If you want it to sound more 'grunty' etc then power to you, personally I am always loathe to change something a developer has captured/modelled as accurately as possible. Actual sounds in a flight deck can be a little different than some people expect who haven't spent a lot of time there - personally I love the nuances of sound that is present with the A2A sounds of the multi-props on the B-17...my trained FE ear keeps getting 'alerted' to an off-beat and is always looking for the sync servos and sync master switch...arg :wink:

On that Lewis, are the props modelled in such a way that playing with seperate prop RPM levers will effect syncing of individual props - have to sync-up old school lol.
Last edited by Kiwi Spitfire on 07 Dec 2013, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha | Intel i7-6700K@ 4.5Ghz O/C | G-Skill 16GB 2800MHz DDR4 RAM | Asus Strix 6GB nVidia GTX980ti | 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M2 | Phillips 32" Display | TrackIR |Win10 64bit.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

personally I enjoy the sound of the B-17 the way A2A created it. just my 2 cents, but if it aint broke don't fix it. :|

Tug :)

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

R-2800-59, I tried your sounds and I really like them! You blended them really nicely so the new effect is subtle but noticeable. Thanks :)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I've been trying out this sound enhancement for a few weeks now. I wasn't so sure at first, but now I really do appreciate the difference. Especially so when you gradually reduce the MP and RPM's so the blade noise slowly disappears. I think it is very immersive. Thanks for your efforts!

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

I flew on the EAA B17 Aluminum Overcast and the sound was like the A2A sound set. I do have old age hearing so maybe the prop tips were making noise but I didn't hear it. I would not put too much faith in a processed video on youtube to represent accurately the actual sound of the B17.

I made a youtube video of my B17 flight where I started in the back of the plane on take off and worked my way forward during the flight. You can watch it and see how the engines sound to you at various areas in the plane.

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTLzf4IRSRY

The video is strictly amateur, but I hope you enjoy it anyway.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Nice video, Mike! I almost committed to taking a ride on a B-17 this Spring when almost all of them did a swing through the Pacific Northwest. If any come this way next year, I will not hesitate. What an amazing experience that must have been!

If you watched the video at the top of the thread, that was the source for the soundset. Okay, maybe his position was a little in front of the pilots, but still pretty close. And the only part that is changed is that bit at full throttle during takeoff. The rest of the sound set is the original. I almost deleted it, but tried it a few more times and thought it was authentic enough for me to keep. Opinions will vary. I presume that the person who created that sound set just cleaned out some of the extraneous sounds not connected with the engines.

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”