SCREENSHOTS

A Living Legend
Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: SCREENSHOTS

Post by Piper_EEWL »

flyultimate wrote:You will love this machine! She flies beautifully! Looking forward to seeing some of your screenshots as well.
So I finally got to try it and I gotta say it's pretty awesome. I love how the crew makes random comments like "I left my bag on the Tarmac". Cracks me up. I've only got 3h on it so far so there's still a lot to learn put its a loads of fun. I hope I'll get some nice screenshots on one of my next flights.

Take care

Edit: Fixed typo
Last edited by Piper_EEWL on 26 Jan 2016, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

flyultimate
Airman

Post by flyultimate »

Piper_EEWL wrote:
flyultimate wrote:You will love this machine! She flies beautifully! Looking forward to seeing some of your screenshots as well.
So I finally got to try it and I gotta say it's pretty awesome. I love how the crew makes random comments like "I left my bag on the Tarmac". Cracks me up. I've only out 3h on it so far so there's still a lot to learn put its a loads of fun. I hope I'll get some nice screenshots on one of my next flights.

Take care
I sure hope you have as much enjoyment flying the B-17 as I have. She is a work of art, produced by some very talented folks. I love some of the comments like you, especially after a rather testy landing following a full blown weather challenging approach!

No doubt you will come up with some great shots, Piper.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

flyultimate wrote: I sure hope you have as much enjoyment flying the B-17 as I have. She is a work of art, produced by some very talented folks. I love some of the comments like you, especially after a rather testy landing following a full blown weather challenging approach!

No doubt you will come up with some great shots, Piper.
Yeah she sure is great. I have 5.5h on her now and I've decided to ferry fly her from the states (started my first flights at Kermit Weeks Fantansy of Flight FA08) over to Germany. So she'll be my first non tube liner to cross the Atlantic. That'll be exciting :shock: . I hope I'll get around to post some of the progress here. But don't hold your breath my FSX is not that beefed up :wink:

PS: Not to brag but after I greased my landing yesterday one of the crew members commented: "Did we land yet? I don't think the wheels are on the ground"! You gotta love those comments seriously :) :lol:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

As said before I'm flying the B-17 form FA08 to EDJA (Memmingen in Germany). I've not gotten that far yet but here's some shots of my progress:

In flight enroute from FA08 to KSAV

After landing in KSAV trying to find suitable parking :wink:

Second leg took me to KMMU. On the way I decided to visit the Statue of Liberty

After landing in KMMU. Had to park on the taxiway since there's no other space for the Flying Fortress

Enroute from KMMU to KPSM

Looks like I got my self into some trouble here :shock: . Next time I should check the weather more thoroughly before departure :roll:

Thanks to the ILS I made it. But it was close. After landing in KPSM

Looks like I'm stuck there now waiting for better weather...

flyultimate
Airman

Post by flyultimate »

Hello, Piper,

What great shots. All of them look great with #1 and #6 my favorites. The more you fly the B-17, the more she grows on you.

Thanks for sharing these and looking forward to more.

Jim

A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other. ~ Author unknown

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Thanks Jim. When I took shot #6 I was in big trouble and almost crashed my beautiful B-17 into the ground. Man my crew chief would have been mad :wink:

I'll try to post update of my journey as I go along.

Take care.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok guys. Some more progress today.

The first leg took me from KPSM to CYFC (I try to stick to the Orbx NA freeware airports)

Takeoff with 18kts crosswind blew me right off the centerline :shock:

Climbout

Enroute in 12.500ft

CYFC for lunch. I bet the guy in the Dash wishes to fly the Fortress too :wink:

The second leg was CYFC to CYYG

The sun is setting

Nice long final into RW 28. I love that cockpit lighting.

Fully configured

Diluting the oil as advised by the crew chief. I guess she doesn't like to start in cold weather. We'll see. Currently its only -6C in CYYG

Finally shut down and secured for the night. Next to the business jet.

Next stop will be Goose Bay before I'll have to risk the passage to Narsarsuaq :shock:

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

So I finally got around to do some more flying with the B-17. I flew from CYFC to Goose Bay (CYYR) which would be my last stop on North American soil. No screenshots from that flight unfortunately.

Today I took the Fortress from Goose Bay to Narsarsuaq (BGBW) in Greenland. 674Nm in 4h 10min.

It was a cold morning in Goose Bay but she didn't hesitate to start. I guess diluting the oil before shutting the engine down helps.

The climbout was quite a struggle with a full fuel load (Tokyo tanks and bomb bay tanks you never know :wink: )

On the way up to FL120. This is where the winds were most favorable.

That's pretty much the scenery for the endurance of the flight :?

Descending into Greenland. Finally land!

Proof :wink: :D

Shut down and ready for the night. I guess they don't see a B-17 every day here anymore.

Tomorrow I'll try to fly to Reykjavik. That'll bring me a big step closer to Europe.

I can't believe I've already got 22h on the Fortress. I hope you guys enjoy the screenshots!

Happy flying!

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Nice shots, Sebastian! BGBW can be kind of a tricky place to get into if the wind is right (or wrong). I like the scenery you've got, as well! 22 hours comes and goes in no time with the Fortress.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Thanks Jacques. I'm glad you enjoy them. Yes I've hear about Narsarsuaq and it's winds. I didn't have any issues though. Smooth as silk :wink: Btw. it's a freeware scenery from FlightSim Greenland.

Today I was going form BGBW to BIRK Reykjavik. 764Nm.

Cold morning start in Narsarsuaq.

We're rolling :wink:

Climbout of Narsarsuaq

In cruise

Final approach

In flight the crew chief was suggesting that we have a problem with the number 1 engine. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. All the t's and p's were normal and on the same level as the other engines. But the crew chief kept complaining. So I had him check the engine after landing. And sure enough we had lost a cylinder. After only 26h? And after following all the procedures? That came sort of with a surprise.

Anyways. Cylinder got replaced.

Next stop Duxford!

Happy flying

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Really good stuff, again! I thought that might be where you got the scenery, but last I checked ( a few years ago) they had closed up and made everything unavailable. So, thanks for the link-- I'm happy to see they have come to life once more.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

It's a neat scenery indeed Jacques.

So I was able to get my longest leg (1070Nm) in yesterday as well. Reykjavik to Duxford.

Unfortunately I had to deal with the FSX default scenery for Iceland. I wanted to download the FTX Global Demo for Iceland but it gave me a "404 Page not found" error :?

Shortly after take off in Reykjavik

Landfall in Europe over Stornoway EGPO

Couldn't resist a low pass in Duxford :D

Sally B parked on the ramp

Finally parked after 6h 12min flight time. She performed like a champ!

To be continued...

Last leg coming up.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

All right guys. It's done. Last leg completed. Duxford EGSU to Memmingen Allgaeu EDJA.

Early morning in Duxford. Even made the copilot yawn. And there is our new T-6 parked in the grass :wink:

Taxing out passing the Spitfires

It was a bit misty.

Good bye Duxford. I'll be back for the airshow season. I heard they need a new pilot for Sally B :wink:

I had to dodge the Stansted CTR which required some low level flying in the mist. Oh man I wish I had the Orbx England scenery. But after clearing all the airspaces the flight went fine.

Approaching her new home. The former Airbase Memminger Berg. Now regional airport EDJA Memmingen Allgäu.

Final approach rwy 24

Taxiing by the terminal to a stand that's big enough for the Fortress. Here low cost airlines like Ryanair and WizzAir operate.

All parked and shut down. After a total distance of 4987Nm and a total flight time of almost 32h it was a long trip.

Except that blown cylinder on engine number 1 in Reykjavik she performed like a champion. It was a total blast.

I hope you guys enjoyed the screenshots and my progress.

Happy flying.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice shots, someones enjoying the fortress :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Thanks Lewis. I really am enjoying the Fortress. The only regret I have is that I didn't get it sooner :wink:

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”