Landing The Spit

Britain's premier front line fighter of World War II
new reply
Phil Tate
Airman Basic

Landing The Spit

Post by Phil Tate »

I enjoy flying the spit and they have truly captured the Merlin sound. I have a problem landing the Spit. I reduce speed to 140 and try to touch down at 85. Every landing I tend to bounce. As soon as I cut power it drops like a rock. Any suggestions? :?:

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Nothing wrong with a little power on landing. Also, you can forward slip her if needed.

She might bounce a bit, as she wasn't really meant for paved runways but rather grassy fields. Watch some of the old videos of these birds flying and you might see a pilot or two bounce one on landing.

Alternatively, you can attempt to wheel land her, which means a slightly higher landing speed. You might get a little bounce here possibly as well, but it gives you a little more control and view of your surroundings.

Making those 3 pointers is not easy, especially if you want a real soft landing. You are just going to have to practice a lot. Don't forget, this is a real plane. You have to fly it all the way to the ground.
ImageImage
ImageImage

SD_Research
A2A Major

Re: Landing The Spit

Post by SD_Research »

Phil Tate wrote:I enjoy flying the spit and they have truly captured the Merlin sound. I have a problem landing the Spit. I reduce speed to 140 and try to touch down at 85. Every landing I tend to bounce. As soon as I cut power it drops like a rock. Any suggestions? :?:
What's the hurry? You're 20 mph over your target touchdown speed, of course you're going to bounce.

Fly the final approach at 90 mph IAS, crossing the runway threshold at about 75 mph IAS. Touchdown at 66 mph IAS.

That's in the checklist, which some pilots occasionally look at before they try to land. :wink:

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

SD is absolutely right. I thought that sounded a bit high, but I don't have access to FSX or the manual right now.

Then again, I guess I could get it on the webpage.....
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Supermarine Spitfire MKI”