me-109 e rudder trim tab ?

The most mass-produced fighter of World War II
new reply
stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

me-109 e rudder trim tab ?

Post by stalkervision »

Is there actually a rudder trim tab ? The 109 has a built in rudder trim design that is in correct trim for cruising speed. This I know. There is also a way for the ground crew to align this correctly.

I have seen some aircraft illustration artists include a small little red trim tab on some of the 109 e's rudders depending on the unit ? apparently with a designation in German lettering of trim on the tail but I seriously can not find it in the German 109 e literature or photographs of the 109 e for that matter.

anyone know anything about this discrepancy ?

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: me-109 e rudder trim tab ?

Post by Killratio »

My understanding is that the trim tab is a fixed plate which can be "bent" appropriately on the ground. The BF 109 was notorious for being tiring to fly, in part from the lack of rudder trim. It was specifically commented on by teh RAF test pilots who flew the captured aircraft.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: me-109 e rudder trim tab ?

Post by stalkervision »

Killratio wrote:My understanding is that the trim tab is a fixed plate which can be "bent" appropriately on the ground. The BF 109 was notorious for being tiring to fly, in part from the lack of rudder trim. It was specifically commented on by teh RAF test pilots who flew the captured aircraft.

Darryl

Thanks a bunch Darryl 8)

new reply

Return to “ Messerschmitt BF109E3/E4”