Still Great after all these years

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
8thFG
Airman First Class

Still Great after all these years

Post by 8thFG »

Flying FS9 again. FSX is just too much for my current PC. Reinstalled 2004 with my old Wings of Power aircraft and WWII Fighters CD.

True Bliss. These aircraft still hold up great and bring many :D :D :D :D

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Still Great after all these years

Post by Scott - A2A »

Thanks for posting.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

I just finished jumping back into flying a desk since I took up flying lessons again (soaring this time), and revived my old Windows XP machine. Basically burned it down and rebuilt it from two freshly-formatted hard drives. Took almost two days to completely get the setup going again. Some drivers I had on media, some I was able download. A long, arduous process but worth it. FS9 performs beautifully on this box, which was just about as hot a machine as one could build in 2005.

I have new machine with Windows 10 etcetera, run X-Plane, P3D, Condor 2, FSX Steam Edition. Steam Edition is excellent, and runs all the A2A stuff fine (I don't do Accusim, just the stick and rudder stuff). The flight dynamics are simply done better in FS9; FSX is pretty darn good and better in some ways, but FS9, in my opinion, is best platform for actual flight simulation as opposed to gaming. P3D has done away with quite a few features but is still pretty good, a welcome followup to FSX.

It's amazing what one can learn about flying when there is no engine on the aircraft. You get one landing and it better be a good one... :wink:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nachtflieger wrote:I just finished jumping back into flying a desk since I took up flying lessons again (soaring this time), and revived my old Windows XP machine. Basically burned it down and rebuilt it from two freshly-formatted hard drives. Took almost two days to completely get the setup going again. Some drivers I had on media, some I was able download. A long, arduous process but worth it. FS9 performs beautifully on this box, which was just about as hot a machine as one could build in 2005.

I have new machine with Windows 10 etcetera, run X-Plane, P3D, Condor 2, FSX Steam Edition. Steam Edition is excellent, and runs all the A2A stuff fine (I don't do Accusim, just the stick and rudder stuff). The flight dynamics are simply done better in FS9; FSX is pretty darn good and better in some ways, but FS9, in my opinion, is best platform for actual flight simulation as opposed to gaming. P3D has done away with quite a few features but is still pretty good, a welcome followup to FSX.

It's amazing what one can learn about flying when there is no engine on the aircraft. You get one landing and it better be a good one... :wink:
You might want to give Accu-sim a go. I think you misunderstand what it is, esp if you like stick and rudder. The advanced flight modelling in the Accu-sim professional simulation software is levels above the default relaxed realism.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

Lewis - A2A wrote:
Nachtflieger wrote:I just finished jumping back into flying a desk since I took up flying lessons again (soaring this time), and revived my old Windows XP machine. Basically burned it down and rebuilt it from two freshly-formatted hard drives. Took almost two days to completely get the setup going again. Some drivers I had on media, some I was able download. A long, arduous process but worth it. FS9 performs beautifully on this box, which was just about as hot a machine as one could build in 2005.

You might want to give Accu-sim a go. I think you misunderstand what it is, esp if you like stick and rudder. The advanced flight modelling in the Accu-sim professional simulation software is levels above the default relaxed realism.

thanks,
Lewis
My machine won't run it without a huge hit to performance. Have tried it, but I like to get in the cockpit and fly without stuff blowing up and breaking. Not for me, I really like the Aircraft Factory stuff. I know that's your flagship product and have no criticism of it as such but I want to get in my airplane and expect it's already been serviced and is ready to fly.

I also thought it was pretty funny when the B-377 windshield fogged up over the Mojave Desert in practically zero percent humidity conditions. Here I am, trying to jump between the Flight Engineer's spot and the pilot's seat attempting to fly the aircraft and now I have to turn on the defogger. You might want to check those parameters, lol!

What about a version of Accusim that can have an option for a flight crew that does a perfect job, so the pilot can just do his or her job? You could select your crew members based on personality, competency, gender, experience, and so on.

The possibilities are endless:

Pick a crew who've all gone out to party the night before and are nursing terrible hangovers; I'd love to see the kinds of screwups you could program into that!

Or pick a top-notch crew where you'd expect a smooth flight or quick reaction to a problem.

And so on.

You do that, I'd buy it!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I still don't think you understand what Accu-sim is and whats happening but to each there own, we have Aircraft Factory for the relaxed realism default flyers 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

Lewis - A2A wrote:I still don't think you understand what Accu-sim is and whats happening but to each there own, we have Aircraft Factory for the relaxed realism default flyers 8)

thanks,
Lewis
As you say, Lewis, each to his/her own. I understand the techniques used in Accusim quite well, though, being a programmer myself, and if I wanted to simulate a lot of failures and quirks and complex checklist procedures, I'd be using it.

I know that's what's called "immersive" and I'm all for it. It'd just be nice to turn it off if desired to simulate a nice, reliable airplane. I spend enough time waiting for clearances to taxi and going through checklists, runups, and all that jazz when I'm flying real airplanes. I don't want to spend all that time when I'm on the computer. I would like to get right to the fun part.

I guess to my mind, Accusim is like waiting in slow traffic to get to that great playoff game.

Me, I just watch the game on HD television.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Nachtflieger - I'm curious. Which Accu-Sim products do you own that feel like "waiting in slow traffic to get to that great playoff game"? If it's preflighting the aircraft you dislike, it's easy to visit the maintenance hangar and check there are no issues before each flight.

If you prefer to dispense with failures and tech issues entirely, this is also possible via the "NO DAMAGE" option in the Shift 3 menu.

Thanks,
Nick

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

100 hours on my 172 and I have yet to experience a failure aside from any I have induced intentionally like a broken flap, or a damaged starter.

The preflight process cab take as little as 30 seconds and then your flying. I can make it take longer by setting up all the radios, following all the checklists carefully, but that doesn't change whether I'm using an Accusim aircraft or not.

The actions I do in sim are not a function of the simulated aircraft but rather the procedures I intend to simulate. The question is do you want a simulation to faithfully replicate the behaviors including the flight dynamics of the real machine as well as the avionics? You get out what you put in. The Accusim 172 is a great IFR procedures trainer.

The stock 172, not so much.

Accusim serves a totally different purpose and really can't be compared.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”