P51 has no WEP?

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
Chalenge
Airman

P51 has no WEP?

Post by Chalenge »

According to the documents with the WWII Fighters P51D the Mustang had 61" of manifold pressure and no WEP? Is this accurate and if so where did you find that information? I found where the P51B and F4U-1 were put through comparison trials and power ratings for that aircraft (P51B) included WEP settings?

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: P51 has no WEP?

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Directly from our manual.
The Packard Merlin V-1650-7 used in this P-51D was a potent engine and a good performer at high altitudes. The two-stage supercharger did a good job of maintaining power up to moderately high altitudes and its operation was normally automatic. The maximum allowable manifold pressure for this aircraft is 67", which is considered "War Emergency Power" or "Combat Power". This setting was to be used for only five minutes at a time. The normal maximum power for takeoff is 61" at 3000 RPM. There is no War Emergency Power switch on this aircraft. Just use the throttle to set the appropriate manifold pressure.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Chalenge
Airman

Post by Chalenge »

Thank you for clearing me on that! Would full military power then be the 61" setting?

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Yessir. 61 inches, 3,000 RPM.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Test Pilot
Senior Airman

Post by Test Pilot »

If I remember correctly from the actual pilot's manual, WEP was activated when the throttle was pushed forward breaking a thin wire thereby opening up the full range of the engine. Thus in this model it is completely accurate that WEP is triggered by full throttle and not by flipping a switch.

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”