WOP II "WWII FIGHTERS" Question

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
bobanderson
Airman

WOP II "WWII FIGHTERS" Question

Post by bobanderson »

Do the 5 planes in the above package come with both a 2D & 3D virtual cockpit?

Thanks,

Bob Anderson

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Absolutely. Shockwave makes the best 3D cockpits I know of.
Snuffy

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

I 2nd what Snuffy said... You can't beat them...

bobanderson
Airman

Post by bobanderson »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I like & use the 3D virtual cockpit but wanted to make sure there also is a 2D cockpit.

Bob Anderson

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

I personally don't use anything but the 3D and I won't usually fly a plane that doesn't have a VC....

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

I have to agree with Point-man here on this one too. :)

While the 2Ds are nice to have you're limited in what you see in the pit without the aide of distracting pop up panels.

I fly wholly in 3D ... which btw ... all Shockwave pits are clickable.
Snuffy

alias_unknown_2004
Senior Airman

Post by alias_unknown_2004 »

I agree. I don't think the 2d cockpit matters too much anymore and i have a feeling they will eventually be phased out. The Shockwave 3d pits are every bit as detailed as 2d and more realistic to boot. I haven't used a 2d to fly for ages. Even when I use stock aircraft (which since the release of the SW P-47 is about...never) I use the 3d view.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We've gone with a new system for WWII FIGHTERS. We have pop-up panels that can be used while in external view. One panel is the main panel, another has rpm and power to help flying by-the-book, and the other is a clock.

Notice the custom mixture gauge created just for the Spitfire and the Zero, which support manual mixture controls. What I like most are the gauges are nice, clear, and big.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

bobanderson
Airman

Post by bobanderson »

WOW! I like that Scott. Will definitely be ordering this package.

Bob

alastairmonk
Airman First Class

Post by alastairmonk »

Are these external pop-up panels the only 2D panels, or are you including an accurate 2D panel as well as the VC ? Mini panels have their uses, but are no substitute for the real thing.

If I'm in a cockpit I want a cockpit view. I never use the "mini-panel view" because it bears no relation to a real cockpit. Both the 2D panels and VCs have their limitations, but at least they are good approximations of what they represent.

Your VCs look fantastic. Pity it looks like they will not be matched by equally good 2D cockpits. Superb gauges on metal plates are a poor substitute.

Alastair

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

All of the WoP planes that I have bought have a 2d panel as well as the 3d panel. I think the extra instrument panels are for when you are outside the plane...

bobanderson
Airman

Post by bobanderson »

I also agree that without a good 2D panel, the plane is not complete even though many use only the 3D. I feel that both are necessary & sure hope the planes in this package have them as I have just purchased the package & will be disappointed if there are no 2D panels. I do have the WOP P-51 by itself & it does have a good 2D panel.

Bob Anderson

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Wow the pop up panels look great.Those fighters are an excellent deal too.I am going to constantly check local stores for WOP WWII Fighters.
I hope to find it soon.
Last edited by JJB17463rdBombGroup on 05 Jun 2006, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

What I didn't like about those older big painted cockpits is they didn't add any function (looked just like the 3D cockpit) and you couldn't use them with any other view. This new panel system can be used in the VC as well - I pop up these strips during takeoff and landing so I can keep my head up and can easily see the instruments. If you want to fly these aircraft by-the-book, gauge clarity is everything.

I know, as with any change, there will be complaints. All I ask is for those to take a step back and see is what we've accomplished with this package.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”