P51D just rolled out - SCREENSHOTS

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
CWD
Senior Airman

Post by CWD »

I don't see a problem with the intake, really.

However, here's what's been bugging me about the windscreen.

Here's a good look at the one on the real thing...

Now here's the WoP version...

For starters, the center windscreen panel (the one the pilot acually looks through when looking straight ahead) is quite flat on the real P-51, whereas on the WoP model, it's rather convex.

Second, the shape of the side windscreen glass panels doesn't look right to me. It's a subtle difference, but it seems to me the ones on real P-51 are more gently curved at the bottom and less "triangular" overall.

This looked so bad to me in screenshots that for a long time it discouraged me from buying the WoP P-51. Obviously, I eventually gave in, and it certainly doesn't keep me from enjoying the aircraft, but it annoys me to this day. Correcting this and the landing gear issue mentioned before (which I had honestly never noticed, though Bradburger makes a convincing case) would, I think, result in the WoP model being as perfect a representation of the P-51D "look" as is possible.

I'm quite pleased that Shockwave is taking this opportunity to review the P-51 model, and I have no doubt that with their expertise combined with feedback from fans, the best P-51 ever made for Flight Simulator can become even better.

Spilot69
Airman First Class

Post by Spilot69 »

right above the intake hole and where the spinner hub meets the fuselage on the WOP a/c it is completely flat and even on the sides as it curves up the cowling a little bit. The real p-51 the scoop goes almost right up to the hub and there is no flat piece on there, it is all smooth and contoured very nicely. It just is a little annoyance to me, that and the landing gear has always bothered me mostly because it has too high of a nose up when on the ground.

richardaero
Airman Basic

Fin Profile

Post by richardaero »

Scott,
While your at it with the P-51 updates any chance of putting the fin profile right as per the photos I sent you, I'm still amazed no one else has spotted it.
The diagrams of the side views in this thread show the error very well.

Richard

kubanskiloewe
Airman

Post by kubanskiloewe »

hm, all what I see is the to high and to far from windscreen sitting Pilot in WOP.

CWD
Senior Airman

Post by CWD »

kubanskiloewe wrote:hm, all what I see is the to high and to far from windscreen sitting Pilot in WOP.
The pilot is leanding forward in the real-world shot.

GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

Here's another P51 with view for canopy and gear I took at Mid Atlantic a couple of years ago. Not a good close up tho, but it does show the windscreen sideglass curve.

This year I'll ask to get real close for pictures. Bud Anderson's 51 will be at the show so I'll ask him for some closeups to get details. Let me know what specific areas you want. Tho I imagine Scott and the guys have a pile of closeups on hand already. :wink:

BTW, the lucky stiff that gets to ride in the rear seat of "Big Beautiful Doll", pays $2500.00 for the privilage. She's one of the very few converted to have a second seat.
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

GT,

I went up in that P51 in your picture last year (Glamorous Gal). There are still so many P51's flying today so the sources are all pretty much there for this model.

Most everything mentioned in this thread is in the model at the moment. Spilot - nice catch on the front intake - it's a subtle thing but we're making that change thanks to your post.

Another guy mailed us some photos many months back about the vertical stab - he was also correct but an update for the P51 was not on the table at that time. That change is also being done.

This was a tough model because it was created first by a modeler who is not in our group - he is a very well respected modeler who has done a lot of work for the History Channel, but I have to say, there were a lot of little things missed like some things mentioned in this thread. We did a lot of fixes before the original one was released as well, but what we have now is really shaping up nicely.

This update will be out before or at the time of the WWII FIGHTERS release - I will get some new screenshots of the updated model in the next few weeks along with other cool enhancements.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Army_485
Airman First Class

Post by Army_485 »

That souds great scott :D

CWD
Senior Airman

Post by CWD »

Can't wait to see it! 8)

Spilot69
Airman First Class

Post by Spilot69 »

Can we get the gear bay doors to drop when we shutoff the engine just like in real life when the hydraulic pressure drops? or can we just make it animated by the tailhook or something?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Spilot - yes, it's already done.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Spilot69
Airman First Class

Post by Spilot69 »

awesome, I can't wait to fly here its going to be like a brand new mustang! Great job, you guys put so much effort into your a/c, other people would just say its an old model and there will be no more improvements. I still say you would get plenty of buyers if you make a razorback model, You have my money!

Adam

Army_485
Airman First Class

Post by Army_485 »

Can't wait the old Mustang was great to me and with all these fixes it will make it that much better.Thanks Scott

GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

You are one lucky son of a gun Scott. I'd give my.... never mind.... to ride in a 51. Oh well, a 17 and 24 has made my day tho.

If it's at all possible, I hope you can make it to MAAM this year Scott. There's things that will be there that won't make it back for quite awhile. Some you could use for new a/c for the Shockwave stable. :wink: And I think you'd be impressed with how far the P-61 has come along. As in, on her wheels this year and outside on display. :)
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

Bradburger
Senior Airman

Post by Bradburger »

Scott - Shockwave wrote:GT,

Most everything mentioned in this thread is in the model at the moment. Spilot - nice catch on the front intake - it's a subtle thing but we're making that change thanks to your post.

Another guy mailed us some photos many months back about the vertical stab - he was also correct but an update for the P51 was not on the table at that time. That change is also being done.

This was a tough model because it was created first by a modeler who is not in our group - he is a very well respected modeler who has done a lot of work for the History Channel, but I have to say, there were a lot of little things missed like some things mentioned in this thread. We did a lot of fixes before the original one was released as well, but what we have now is really shaping up nicely.

This update will be out before or at the time of the WWII FIGHTERS release - I will get some new screenshots of the updated model in the next few weeks along with other cool enhancements.

Scott.
That's very good news Scott and I look forward to seeing the updated MDL. And I'm pleased you have been able to model the gear doors dropping when the hydraulic dump handle is pulled. :)

CWD, good spot about the windscreen.

The main thing I noticed about it was that the rear framing of it was too straight compared to the side view drawing and photos of the real thing. But I see what you mean about the front frame.

I'm glad that the community has been able help Scott & his team make this great product even better. :D

Cheers

Paul

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”