Spitfire Mk 1....b?

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
Smokin256
BDG

Spitfire Mk 1....b?

Post by Smokin256 »

[soap box mode]The 8 .30 cal. mg armed Mk 1 was designated the Mk 1a. The Mk 1b was equipped with two 20mm cannons. Designating the .30 cal armed Spitfire with the constant speed prop a Mk 1b was strictly a Rowans' "Battle of Britain" idiosyncracy. We have to be very careful. These kinds of things tend to be self perpetuating.

You know, as these great aircraft and their pilots slip further and further into the dimly lit past and Information about them becomes more and more scarce, A greater and greater share of the responsibility for keeping the sacred flame of truth alive Falls on flight sims like this one (and BoB II WoV and B-17 TLR ect. ect.........).[/soap box mode]

You might want to think about redesignating it Mk 1a or putting your modelers to work modeling cannons (and the assocated blisters) for it.

It does look beautiful though! :)

Cheers..................Smokin256

Talos2005
Senior Airman

Post by Talos2005 »

Hi Smokin256!!

Well said, and you got the point.
I as well do not understand why Shockwave people put Mk1b on Spit with 0.30 calibre.
Many ducuments show Mk1b with 20mm cannon.
At least, we cannot find any sorts of cannon from the pictures.

I'll second you.
Scott, please explain the reason why.

Kind Reagrds,

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I can see by all the modeler's documentation the MkIA variant is modeled. This was my mistake.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Smokin256
BDG

Post by Smokin256 »

Oh well :) ! I just didn't want to see you get buried under an avalanch of hate mail from anal-retentive Spitfire fans like myself :) .

Can you delete this topic now? No use having it clog up the forums.

Talos2005 wrote;
"Well said, and you got the point."
And I see from your other posts that you do too. :) Keep the faith brother! :)

mudmarine
Staff Sergeant

Post by mudmarine »

Keeping the truth alive falls on the flight sim makers? It's not their responsibility, they make games. If I want to know the truth about what aircraft had what gun, I'll go find a reference manual or book not a "model" aircraft in a flight sim. S/F MudMarine

Smokin256
BDG

Post by Smokin256 »

...........And mudmarine doesn't get the point. But that's ok too.

I knew I should have listened to that little voice that told me I should make this a PM. Oh well, too late now.

Cheers.............Smokin256

P.S. Scott, anytime you want to delete it, it's ok with me.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

It's all taken care of, guys, there was just a mistake in the promo. It's a Mk IA, it's always been a Mk IA. It's got your eight machine guns, a Merlin III with a constant-speed Rotol prop and the good old automagic boost cutout that gives you 12 psi (1300 HP) if you really feel the need for speed. Since we're on the topic, the flight models for these new planes have been taken to an even higher level of accuracy. We're introducing, as part of the "Absolute Realism", a new thing called "Precision Fuel Management". This lets you use manual mixture but provides a special gage (yes, that's how the USAAF manuals spell it, not "gauge") that will allow you to set the mixture control to emulate full rich, auto rich, or auto lean. The gage takes all the guesswork out of setting the mixture control and allows these planes to reach the actual maximum ferry range, chugging along at low RPM and sipping fuel like it was afternoon tea (or Schnapps). The Bf 109 has a faithfully-reproduced, full-feathering prop controlled by the prop control (not a feathering switch) which allows a fully-feathered "dive" position for zero prop drag, and lets you get that DB 601 Aa all the way down to 1200 RPM for best range power setting.

We're also providing comprehensive aircraft performance comparison charts that compare all five planes with respect to top speeds from sea level to 10,000 meters, time to climb, fuel and distance to climb, and of course, a table with all the leading particulars such as weight, maximum instantaneous rate of climb, and such.

This package will give the WWII history fan the best opportunity yet to truly compare the performance of all five of the these famous fighters, back-to-back, with ultimate realism. The charts we provide are derived completely from actual, in-game testing and they match the real aircraft's performance to a "T".

We've duplicated the Bf 109 E-4's leading edge slat animation with uncanny precision (watch 'em come in and out based the precise coefficient of lift), you've got your manual "wheel 'em out" flaps, historically accurate "tail-heavy" ground handling, nasty (but manageable) takeoff torque, and the famed "stick is in cement" control feel beyond 400 mph.

We put HUGE effort into this package and it's the best value we've ever offered.

We just have to say, while it's true it is "just a game" to many good folks, it's more than that to us. We have called Wings of Power "History in a Box" from day one, and that's how we view it. We want these planes as accurate as possible so that owning the product is not just fun, it's a history lesson. We work with many air museums, actual WWII aircrew, and current owner/operators of historic aircraft like the A6M5 Zero and Bf 109 to make sure we get as close we can to the real thing. We believe our aircraft are indeed a "virtual" reference manual, and should be viewed as such. Anyone wanting to get as deep as possible into these planes (without actually flying the real thing) can get very accurate information from any Wings of Power aircraft. We recommend them to anyone wanting to do research on the various aircraft and have always recommended getting the actual pilot's manuals to fly the planes. We think you will love this package, we loved making it.

CWD
Senior Airman

Post by CWD »

SD_Research wrote:It's all taken care of, guys, there was just a mistake in the promo. It's a Mk IA, it's always been a Mk IA. It's got your eight machine guns, a Merlin III with a constant-speed Rotol prop and the good old automagic boost cutout that gives you 12 psi (1300 HP) if you really feel the need for speed. Since we're on the topic, the flight models for these new planes have been taken to an even higher level of accuracy. We're introducing, as part of the "Absolute Realism", a new thing called "Precision Fuel Management". This lets you use manual mixture but provides a special gage (yes, that's how the USAAF manuals spell it, not "gauge") that will allow you to set the mixture control to emulate full rich, auto rich, or auto lean. The gage takes all the guesswork out of setting the mixture control and allows these planes to reach the actual maximum ferry range, chugging along at low RPM and sipping fuel like it was afternoon tea (or Schnapps).
Will this new advancement be in the new-for-WW2-Fighters planes (Spitfire, 109, Zero) only, or the P-51 and P-47 also? If the latter, will these new flight models be available as updates for people who already have the P-51 and P-47 purchased seperately?

GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

CWD, these new ones all go into a separate directory.... no conflicts with the previous P51 and P47.
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

CWD
Senior Airman

Post by CWD »

GT182 wrote:CWD, these new ones all go into a separate directory.... no conflicts with the previous P51 and P47.
It's not conflicts I'm worried about. I want to know if those of us who purchased the P-51 and/or P-47 seperately in the past will have access to the improvements made to those models included in the WW2 Fighter pack without having to buy the whole package.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

CWD wrote:
SD_Research wrote:It's all taken care of, guys, there was just a mistake in the promo. It's a Mk IA, it's always been a Mk IA. It's got your eight machine guns, a Merlin III with a constant-speed Rotol prop and the good old automagic boost cutout that gives you 12 psi (1300 HP) if you really feel the need for speed. Since we're on the topic, the flight models for these new planes have been taken to an even higher level of accuracy. We're introducing, as part of the "Absolute Realism", a new thing called "Precision Fuel Management". This lets you use manual mixture but provides a special gage (yes, that's how the USAAF manuals spell it, not "gauge") that will allow you to set the mixture control to emulate full rich, auto rich, or auto lean. The gage takes all the guesswork out of setting the mixture control and allows these planes to reach the actual maximum ferry range, chugging along at low RPM and sipping fuel like it was afternoon tea (or Schnapps).
Will this new advancement be in the new-for-WW2-Fighters planes (Spitfire, 109, Zero) only, or the P-51 and P-47 also? If the latter, will these new flight models be available as updates for people who already have the P-51 and P-47 purchased seperately?
The P-51D and P-47 had automatic mixture controls in the original release and will remain as they are in the World War II Fighters package. The Precision Fuel Management will apply only to the A6M5 and Spitfire. The Bf 109 E-4 used direct fuel injection and had no mixture control so it's automixture all the way for that one, which is accurate. So you won't be missing out on anything if you already have those two planes in terms of flight modeling.

CWD
Senior Airman

Post by CWD »

Thanks for the clarification.

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”