Minor bug report

The most advanced WWII prop aircraft
new reply
RocketDog
Airman Basic

Minor bug report

Post by RocketDog »

The windscreen wiper passes between the pilot and the gunsight. It should pass in front of the gunsight.

Apart from that... many thanks for such a beautiful aircraft. AAlways a favourite of mine and great to have such a high-quality flyable.

Cheers,

RocketDog.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

There's a glass between cokpit's interior and the gunsight.

regards
ROB

snave
Staff Sergeant

Post by snave »

ROB wrote:There's a glass between cokpit's interior and the gunsight.

regards
ROB
So if its `indoors`, why does it need a wiper...? The sight mechanism was inside the cockpit, behind the curved front glass.

But given the acute curves, why did the exterior glass even NEED a wiper? Was the wiper specifically for getting the condensation off the inside? :wink:
Simon Evans

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

It's not "indoors". Here's the list looking from the side, listing from the nose:
- windscreen
- gunsight
- wiper
- glass
- cockpit

Mentioned glass divides the cockpit into two parts: the "gunsight comparment" (propably unpressurized) and exact cockpit (pressurized). The wiper was against the moisture/steam in gunsight compartment.

regards
ROB

RocketDog
Airman Basic

Post by RocketDog »

Neat! I should have realised the model was too good to get that wrong.

Cheers,

RocketDog.

GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

The thing that puzzles me is the Armoured Glass comes up and then swings back over the gunsight. And, there is a cutout in the glass for this... see the movie again and you'll see what I mean. The wiper can't wipe across the AG or it would be ripped apart, it has to wipe across the inside of the canopy if it's for clearing condensation. Or, it's for the outside for rain. Looking at the outside of the a/c during the movie you can't see the wiper at all to tell where it is.... inside or out. Rob, from watching the movie the AG can't separate the compartment, as can be clearly seen. It's radius is smaller than that of inside the canopy, and the two don't touch to make a seal.

Maybe Scott can clear this up for us as to where the wiper is located and it's supposed to do. Clean yes, but where? :wink:
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I think Rob spelled it our perfectly. Here's a picture, which should help.

Remember, the wiper is not outside the aircraft to wipe rain off the outside windscreen (the rain blows off the outer windscreen - no wiper needed). The wiper is inside the compartment between the outside windscreen and the cockpit.

Moisture can certainly fog up the flat, inner windshield in this compartment, so the wiper is there to clear that fog / moisture.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

Ok, I stand corrected, thanks Scott. It was hard to tell watching the movie and I "thought" I had it correct. :oops:

I get it now. There is glass above the panel that the wiper is on. Not the inner canopy or the AG. I couldn't see the inner glass in the movie.
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

new reply

Return to “Heinkel He 219 "Owl"”