low res textures

The most advanced WWII prop aircraft
mJolner
Airman

low res textures

Post by mJolner »

Ok I know this has come up before, I just cant remember the solution but sometimes (often) when I load up a WOP plane, especially the "Owl" either all or the aft half of the textures are blury or low rez.

I have all of the WOP planes from the CD to all the add-ons.

Thanks

snave
Staff Sergeant

Post by snave »

They are mipmapped to reuce texture load at distance. You can remove the mipmaps using dxtbmp - or you can just zoom in when in spot view then out again. That fixes it.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

mJolner

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Which other aircraft are you seeing the blurry textures on ?

2. What model video card and driver series are you using ?

Thanks!

Ridge
Senior Airman

Post by Ridge »

I see it all the time on other aircraft. Happens on the WOP P-47's wings, and the left wing of Dino's F-14 Tomcat, and other aircraft, occasionally...

Radeon 9600SE 128mb AGP running latest Omega Drivers.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

It's just a little FS9 bug, it's usually corrected by cycling the views.

snave
Staff Sergeant

Post by snave »

SD_Research wrote:It's just a little FS9 bug, it's usually corrected by cycling the views.
...or by lowering the fps limit. :o
Simon Evans

-E
Senior Airman

Post by -E »

Try FAC257's-Fix, which worked GREAT for the Uhu & green P-47's here... load the offending texture in Martin Wright's DXTBMP program, create a green alpha channel then save the texture. Since using his fix when this occurs on the WoP planes, I've not had another problem here!

RocketDog
Airman Basic

Post by RocketDog »

-E, please could you explain that in a bit more detail?

I've got blurry texturtes on the fuselage of my He-219. I downloaded the DXTBMP program, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it now...

Cheers,

RocketDog.

Epsillon
Senior Airman

Post by Epsillon »

-open he219_x_t.bmp (where x is a number from 1 to 4) with DXTBMP
-choose Alpha->Create Alpha Channel (Green)
-click OK
-save the file

That's all...;)

Stephan

mJolner
Airman

Post by mJolner »

FAC257

To answer oyur question I am seeing this effect on all WOP aircraft, havent really tested to see if it happens on some more than others as far as the different models are concerned.

I am currently using a 6800 Ultra 256 PCIE with 1 gig ram and a Anthlon 64 4000+. My drivers are the latest from Nvidia 84.21.

Loaded these in preparation form my shiny new 7900 GTX 512. Just need to find the time to install it.

But anyhow as others have suggested the low rez tex go away as soon a I zoom all the way in. That is what I did in the past. I had just forgotten about it.

Thanks

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

mJolner

Thanks! :)

THORmx
Senior Airman

Post by THORmx »

Epsillon and -E,

won't that erase the alpha that Shockwave added, making so that things that are to appear metallic don't anymore?

also, I tried this and it did not work. I opened it, created green alpha, then saved, but my textures still blur (just the left wing and the back part of fuse (where it says ac #/ letters)).

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

THORmx

Whoops, I didn't see you down in this section trying to solve your blurry problem. I just sent you a note up in your thread in the "WWII Fighters" section.

See if that explanation helps.

And yes it will erase the Shockwaves alpha channel but it replaces it at the same time with one that doesn't react the same way with the aircraft model creating the blurry effect.

THORmx
Senior Airman

Post by THORmx »

FAC,

I did see your post and it helped, thanks :D

I figured it would erase their's. I guess in a sense anything that should look metallic won't now, but oh well! We do what me must!

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

THORmx

This process will not affect the way anything on the texture looks accept to get rid of the blurries. If it looked metallic before it will after.

If you lost a metallic look to one of your textures it was most likely caused by forgetting to save the file with a green alpha channel.

There are only a few of the blurry P-47s where a small section of a file may need to be masked out of this procedure to preserve a shiney part. I've done these partcular files both ways and the "shiney" parts are really un-noticable areas on those files. This is only for a few of the default P-47s and a few of the earliest P-47 repaints that were done before we found the problem. Any P-47 repaint done after about the second week of Dec '05 has the textures adjusted for the model already. At least any I've run across and tried.

There are no He-219 repaints or default textures that have an area that needs to be "masked" to preserve a metalllic area that I've seen so far. The only part of the model on the three particular He-219s models that cause blurry textures are covered by the single file "he219_2_t.bmp". There are no metallic parts to worry about on this texture file.

new reply

Return to “Heinkel He 219 "Owl"”