Some questions

The most advanced WWII prop aircraft
new reply
itifonhom
Airman

Some questions

Post by itifonhom »

Hi all,
although I suppose this part of the forum is long dead, I'll still make a try! Didn't flew this wonderful bird since ages, I was more concentrated on airliners for quite some time, but now I'm trying some "bush flying" again and rediscovered the Uhu in my hangar. I got though some minor problems:

1). Can't figure out how to set the heading bug for the autopilot, in fact I don't know how to use the autopilot at all on the Uhu. I see there's an autopilot on/off button in the VC but how to set the values?
2). The aircraft seems to me like a bit "heavy" on the rudder, I mean, at slow speeds such as approaches, the rudder, although full right/left, doesn't seem to really turn the aircraft, I always have to use more throttle to one side to line up the plane. I know it suppose to be steady gun platform but maybe there's a way to enhance rudder effectiveness.
3). I use the Uhu in FSX and I got the prop texture problem, can't figure the 3D lights correctly, the armor glass lever doesn't seem to do anything and I see no engine smoke or engine start effects.

All in all, I'm really happy with this airplane, really great job done, even after all these years and new FSX airplanes coming in, the Uhu really looks great and flies great, just like the original!

Thanks in advance for any help, itifonhom
.....quid est veritas???

snave
Staff Sergeant

Re: Some questions

Post by snave »

It's been a while since I had this in the air (didn't port it to FSX and FS2004 is now off my hard drive) but there's a pop-up 2d panel for a/p functions. The VC a/p button was, IIRC, a simple HDG and ATTITUDE Hold.

The aircraft seems to me to respond as I'd expect. Stability overrules manoeuvrability in a night fighter. At low speed/low power you lose the addition of propwash on the rudders and the tail had been lengthened and rudders enlarged as part of the development progrma owing to marginal yaw stability. Eric `Winkle `Brown also regarded it as marginal on performance, being somewhat under-powered.

So it's reasonable to assume that a long, straight approach is required, and if you find yourself off line you ain't going to sideslip this wee beastie, you go around.

Can't help with the portover issues but you have read the forum topics on the matter?
Simon Evans

itifonhom
Airman

Post by itifonhom »

Hi snave,

so glad to see that someone still visits this forum! Well, I've read all the topics in this forum but the links seem to lead nowhere. I also searched replacement textures for the prop on all the known Sim sites, no success.
I suppose the rudder ineffectiveness is somewhat correct but I find it a bit too much, maybe a bit more rudder would give a "better" result. I have no idea what to change though.

I'm really thinking of making some "FSX files" for this bird, you know, new textures, effects and such, the whole treat. I really like this bird, would really like to see it "real FSX"!

Thanks for your reply, itifonhom
.....quid est veritas???

itifonhom
Airman

Post by itifonhom »

As for the autopilot, it seems that follows just a certain bearing, not holding. In the 2D autopilot window, an altitude and climb/descent rate can be set but no heading value. Tried also in VC and 2D cockpit to change the bearing, couldn't find anything. Maybe if I set the autopilot on without any modes does the trick, will try it today.

itifonhom
.....quid est veritas???

itifonhom
Airman

Post by itifonhom »

Well, I think, at least this part of the forum is absolutely dead and the Uhu with it! I really would like to invest some time making this bird more FSX friendly but it seems that's just not possible. Although I managed to repair the autopilot problem and even add a radar gauge to see the AI traffic, that's all I can find. No prop textures, no VC night lights. I'd really like to see the Uhu with bump maps and specular maps, gun effects and all, even maybe an original scenery, Venlo for example. I am a big fan of Uhu, from the very first time I saw one, more than 20 years ago! Already made two plastic models of it, one in 1/72 and one in 1/48, so, "upgrading" this one to FSX is a logical step. Not without any help.
.....quid est veritas???

new reply

Return to “Heinkel He 219 "Owl"”