An A2A DC-3

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: An A2A DC-3

Post by Alan_A »

dvm wrote: How about Beech 18 or a A26 to name two.
And miss out on a Convair 240 Aero Dogs repaint? Never!
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I always wished for an A2A DC-3 until I got the Manfred Jahn/Jan Visser/Tufun C-47. My first impression was that they'd made an aircraft with the quality and features of the A2A Stratocruiser.

I flew the last two versions. The final version required surprisingly few changes. I restored the 7000 critical altitude and raised the prop thrust a bit to restore the performance of the previous version. I lowered the elevator and rudder trim effectiveness similar to what A2A does on their planes. I removed some duplicate flap settings which intentionally removed a bit of extra lift from the flaps. In the cockpit I did some creative hacking of the interior model file to make the clock minute hand continuous rather than jump ahead by a minute, and fixed the problem with RMI needle 2 to adjust by the magnetic variation on a VOR to make the needle point correctly. I also added some processing to make needle 1 point correctly when not receiving a signal, and if the ADF is turned off the needle will point to a second VOR. I did some work to make the altimeter read below zero when appropriate, but I have to do that on every plane.

What could A2A add to this? There are some internal engine additions they could make to produce more types of engine failures. The engines are already difficult enough to start until you learn how. They might add more sophisticated real time loading processing. Meal service would be a welcome addition. They could make the autopilot functional although I don't use it myself and you can use a 2D panel to use the autopilot already. There may be additional processing to make some internal systems more sophisticated and add new types of failures. They could make the vintage radio functional.

While I have no doubt that A2A could make a better DC-3, I'm not sure how much better they could make it. MJ and company have raised the bar very high on this one.

Hook

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

Based on the previous comment, COTS as a standalone application configurable for different aircraft types would be awesome.

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

Turbo DC3 would be even better :mrgreen:

Bill140A
Airman First Class

Post by Bill140A »

Everyone has their druthers - I would druther have a Beech 18.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Marvin-E34 wrote:Turbo DC3 would be even better :mrgreen:

Manfred has an excellent Basler BT-67 in addition to the DC-3 and Super DC-3/C-117D. I would suggest those.

As for Convairs - I have mentioned the Convair several times to Scott. I've suggested both the piston Convairs and the 580s because I have contacts to be able to do both fairly easily. There's actually quite a few 340s, 440s, and 580s still flying, so getting source info isn't hard. The problem is doing just one. With the level of detail in modelling that A2A does, it's not going to be the whole family. You might be able to do the 340/440 since most of the changes there are minor (and many 340s were converted into 440s), but the 580 has significant changes beyond just the engines, the 240 is a whole different airframe (shorter wings, shorter fuselage, different tail, different engine version and exhausts, etc), and then there's the 640 which while less of a modification to the 340/440 airframe than the 580, the RR Dart operates completely different from any other engine simulated by A2A to date, so it'd be yet another development project.

I would love to see a Convair, but like so many possibilities, it's so hard to do just one.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

ilya1502 wrote:Based on the previous comment, COTS as a standalone application configurable for different aircraft types would be awesome.
I've been hoping for an Accu-Engine to go with Accu-Feel. :)

Hook

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Eww! That Basler is hideous! Thou shalt not remove a perfectly-good radial! :mrgreen:

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

The whine of the turbine engines smoothly spinning their cyclones of fire cannot hope to equal the Harleyesque sound of a radial engine.

Hook

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Inspiring poetry, Hook. I cried.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

patful wrote:Inspiring poetry, Hook. I cried.
Thanks. :)

Load up the stock Grumman Goose. Start the engines and set them to idle. Go to external view and pan around the aircraft. There is no more beautiful sound in all of FSX.

Radial engines and steam gauges. The only way to fly.

Hook

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

CAPFlyer wrote:
Marvin-E34 wrote:Turbo DC3 would be even better :mrgreen:

Manfred has an excellent Basler BT-67 in addition to the DC-3 and Super DC-3/C-117D. I would suggest those.

As for Convairs - I have mentioned the Convair several times to Scott. I've suggested both the piston Convairs and the 580s because I have contacts to be able to do both fairly easily. There's actually quite a few 340s, 440s, and 580s still flying, so getting source info isn't hard. The problem is doing just one. With the level of detail in modelling that A2A does, it's not going to be the whole family. You might be able to do the 340/440 since most of the changes there are minor (and many 340s were converted into 440s), but the 580 has significant changes beyond just the engines, the 240 is a whole different airframe (shorter wings, shorter fuselage, different tail, different engine version and exhausts, etc), and then there's the 640 which while less of a modification to the 340/440 airframe than the 580, the RR Dart operates completely different from any other engine simulated by A2A to date, so it'd be yet another development project.

I would love to see a Convair, but like so many possibilities, it's so hard to do just one.

I think the choice would be dictated by which version i most available for A2A's usual testing regime. My personal preference is for the original version, the 240, which had different door configuations, from the factory, and later had various radar installations added giving different nose shapes. There's more possibilities with the 240. However I'd also be happy with the 340/440. A 580 would be interesting too, but the development time for this would be many years due in part to the time required to develop the engines to AccuSim standards.

Basler??? Sacrelige!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

Oh yes, I would love a Convair! Such a good-looking airplane. The A320/B737 of the old days. Many possibilities, including bush flying... it would be a whole universe opening up!

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

I think A2A should do the DHC-2 Beaver. No matter what people's preferences are - tubeliners, military, GA, vintage or modern - everyone loves the DHC-2. Of all aircraft, past and present, it's the one that would appeal most widely, I think. :)

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Paul K wrote:I think A2A should do the DHC-2 Beaver. No matter what people's preferences are - tubeliners, military, GA, vintage or modern - everyone loves the DHC-2. Of all aircraft, past and present, it's the one that would appeal most widely, I think. :)
Whilst agreeing with you I will drift off into fantasy...

Wouldn't it be interesting to see developers make co-operative efforts - like A2A upgrading the very nice MilViz Beaver to A2A standards? Save some work perhaps (he says who knows nothing!)?
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”