Accident Case Study: Single Point Failure

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Accident Case Study: Single Point Failure

Post by dvm »

Here is accident worth taking a look at especially if you fly IFR in the real world. It is timely as the accident airplane is a V-35. The analysis and recommendations could save your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sfHlzv6Rlk

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Accident Case Study: Single Point Failure

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

AOPA Air Safety Institute videos are educational and interesting, but every episode is also a personal tragedy at the same time.
Thank you for sharing this episode!

Cheerz,
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Accident Case Study: Single Point Failure

Post by AKar »

I've never been a fan of allowing airplanes to do IFR on vacuum gyros and an electric turn coordinator only, much less in these days, where adequate independent backups could be produced at very affordable prices. I guess that many pilots would indeed refuse doing that if once seen a broken dry vacuum pump and what that thing is made of.

BTW, there is one good assistant to that kind of situation they did not mention: such an autopilot like the S-TEC System 30 in A2A Comanche. I bet it is way better in partial panel flying than average human pilot!

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”