Redbird Alloy YK1 Simulator Yoke

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Redbird Alloy YK1 Simulator Yoke

Post by Mazo »

Looking for information on this yoke from Redbird. If anyone has one, would you be willing to share your experience with it? I have not found any detailed description of the build quality, pots vs hall sensors, metal shaft etc., not even on the Redbird website.

Thanks for your input.

Lyn
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Redbird Alloy YK1 Simulator Yoke

Post by Oracle427 »

Very springy, no detents, realistic travel, light resistance, no force feedback. I find it difficult to fly with in the Redbird, unless I've flown it a lot and gained a feel for it.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Thanks for your input. For $799.00, I would expect that the yoke should be well made and calibrated for excellent flight sim control. Sounds like that is not your experience.
Thanks again.

Lyn
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

BTW this "feaure" straight off the product data page is what I like least about the yoke. I think it is otherwise a perfectly good unit in terms of precision.

"Accurate feel - full control deflection without increasing spring tension"

I want increasing tension!!!

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Oracle427,
Thanks for your further thoughts.
What yoke are you using and what recommendation would you have for a higher mid-range (under $1000.00 but could push that limit a bit) yoke?

Thanks!

Lyn

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Ha, MS Sidewindow Precision Pro. Owned it since new from the late 90's and it's going very strong. :) :) :)

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

I have one also! I had two for awhile, as a spare, but gave one to my grandsons with the admonishment to my son that under no circumstances let the boys throw this "treasure" away! They are irreplaceable!

Using a CH Eclipse that i have had for several years but is showing its' age and wear and tear, thus looking to step up to something better. Decisions, decisions!!

Lyn

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

The Virtual Fly YOKO pushes your $1000 ceiling just a bit (it's $1035 from Jetline Systems, the US distributor). It's excellent - extremely precise and smooth, and unlike your description of the Redbird, it provides increasing tension the farther you get from center (they do it with bungees, which sounds crude, but works). There's no center detent. It's so smooth that I'm now using it in stick aircraft also, because I can't find a joystick that matches it for fine control. Might be worth a look.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Alan-A,
Thanks for your response. I have thought about this yoke and have seen some very positive reviews on it. Sounds like the YOKO is serving you well and with accuracy. It is within my price range so that won't be an issue. Will seriously look at it more closly.
I have already worked with Jetline Systems and have nothing but praise for the folks there and the computer they built for me.

Lyn

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

While it is not out yet, I would suggest taking a look at the Honeycomb Aeronautic Alpha yoke that is supposed to be hitting the market around the first of the year. To me it ticks off all the boxes, but I am not in the market for a yoke but will most likely be getting their Bravo Throttle when that releases at the same time as the yoke.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Paul,
I have been following the progress, or lack thereof, for at least a year. They have dropped many of the quality items that were first advertised, to keep the price at $200.00. Better to keep the price up so that quality and innovation don't suffer. The specs looked very good at the beginning, Hall sensors among the items that have been dropped as time went on.

Lyn

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

If I was was to invest big money in a yoke I would go with the Brunner. They have a cheaper model CLS-E NG for $1350. It has only 3.6 inches of pitch travel vs the 6 inch plus of the $2000. job. It also generates less forces. Not sure how big a deal the lack of travel is as how often does one use the full travel in the real world flying (just before you scream mama is one example). :D The most important thing is the feel with a system that changes forces depending on flight conditions. In my experience a spring or bungee cannot compare.

https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/pr ... e-ng-yoke/

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

While items may have been dropped from the Honeycomb yoke, it's the price point that I am concerned with. I don't have deep pockets, and $200 is about perfect for me, and for what it has at that price point is better than any other yoke that is out at that same price point and even many above that price. If you want a sports car you don't pay compact prices. If price is no object for you then go pay $600 and get a $600 yoke. I hate how people say, "Oh they dropped this and that from it to keep it at such and such price", well guess what, I am glad they did just that, and I am not in the only one in that boat, and I am tired of being looked down on for being on a budget, and for the a $200 price point, I can bet you couldn't build a better yoke than they have. They set a price point and have stuck to that. I'd rather a build slip in time and maintain that price than for them to say, "Ok if you want it, it's now $350," because that will lose them more sales in the long run since most of us can't afford super high end accessories. I even have to wait long durations between my purchase of A2A aircraft and we all know that they are the best and that they have a good price point for what they offer and that many have and would be willing to pay more for them, I however can not. I have been a long time Shockwave/A2A customer, and I can tell you, price is very much an object to me, and while A2A maybe worth more, I can not afford it, so even if they raised the prices I would not begrudge them that, but they'd lose me as a customer because I could no longer afford it.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

dvm wrote:If I was was to invest big money in a yoke I would go with the Brunner. They have a cheaper model CLS-E NG for $1350. It has only 3.6 inches of pitch travel vs the 6 inch plus of the $2000. job. It also generates less forces. Not sure how big a deal the lack of travel is as how often does one use the full travel in the real world flying (just before you scream mama is one example). :D The most important thing is the feel with a system that changes forces depending on flight conditions. In my experience a spring or bungee cannot compare.

https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/pr ... e-ng-yoke/
I agree. When it comes to actually spending big bucks its only marginal what kind of improvement one can make on a spring/bungee, even at $1000. If that kind of money is available its not so far off the Brunner CLS-E NG.

I have the CLS-E, and I can say without a doubt that it is one of the absolutely best investments I've ever done. I love that yoke and its capabilities. The precision and the feel is second to none.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Don’t know if you’re still looking for information on the Redbird, but Froogle's latest video is an unboxing of all sorts of Redbird stuff. Not a review yet, but that will be coming presumably in a few weeks.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Rx3xmHF3ZuE
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”