How I took off with "Pink Skyvan" (Picture Heavy)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
MaxZ
Senior Airman

How I took off with "Pink Skyvan" (Picture Heavy)

Post by MaxZ »

Hi everybody!
Since I got such a good echo for my last posts in my newly started life in aviation, I thought I'd give it a go and try for the hattrick. Skip the following paragraph if you just want to see pictures:

To start off with a bit of cloying sentimentality that is usually way too much for a forum post: I dedicate this to the good folks that I got to know thoughout flightsimming that got to be great friends over the time and have helped me get where I am now.
Particularly to Anders "Idiot" Fritz, Janiek Arp who flies tubes only, motherfuckers Terry and Phil, Zoolander of the Digital Themepark and especially his lovely wife Rowan, as well as 91st-Guru Gypsy Baron.

In my first (https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 23&t=60245) and second (https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 23&t=63218)post of the "series" earlier this year I told you how I finished my flight training, got the job that I have now and what my first mission was.
Now after roughly 1600 flights, 800hrs blocktime and 300 gallons of best czech beer it is time again that I share with you how my first season as a commercial pilot in the marvelous Skyvan went.

ImageImage
So the Skyvan went to England a few days before a not-so-regular weekend somtime in july:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Then there were long ferry flight with the best colleague flight instructor and friend that I've met so far:
ImageImageImage

I went to HKG with an old flightschool friend, who now flies 777...
ImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
...where we of course climbed the famous chequerboard.

And in June there was this one day we pilots train so hard for:
ImageImage

In Fano, Italy I had a big ass birdstrike. Dozens seagulls took off from the high grass, 50m south of the runway. And some how I managed to hit twentyone of them. Pam pam pam.
Quick check on the engine instruments revealed that an engine failure was imminent. At five meters airborne. I did not take me long to see that an "RTO" was too late.
So I pitched for best speed and disregarding all noise reduction procedures did a 180 turn to land the fully fueled and fully loaded OE-FDK back. Those four minutes of flight felt like an hour.
The workload was unbelievably high and still, the whole thin was over withing the blink of an eye. Stay current on your emergency procedures, one day they'll safe your life, and the life of 25 PAX on board.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

But goddamnit do I love my job:
ImageImage
ImageImage

As always, thank you for reading, feel free to ask and if you find any spelling errors, you may keep them 8) !

Best regards,
Maximilian
Public service announcement: You put an aircraft in a hangar, not a hanger.

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Re: How I took off with "Pink Skyvan" (Picture Heavy)

Post by aonyn »

Glad to hear the birdstrike incident went as it did. From the sound of it, the aircraft will fly again, and even has flown again. Good job sir!
So just curious, did the mechanic give you the honour of cleaning up the bird puree? :)

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

yes it flew again. Engine was changed within 5hrs :D and yes, I had the honour to clean it. That smell was out of this world. Decaying fish in the hot italian summer. Buon appetit!

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Engine change in 5 hours, wow!
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

Junkman00
Airman

Post by Junkman00 »

Max,
It amazes me at your great adventures since we last meet and enjoyed some local airplanes in the States. Keep sending pictures, and thanks to a good friend, enjoy your flying days.
Phil
Junkman00

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Looking at the pictures alone that's some awesome documenting of flying adventures and beer nights with friends :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

thx for sharing!!! :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Cool read and great pics.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

blockwood
Airman

Post by blockwood »

Max

I know why you fly the SkyVan. It's to carry your lunch. Just kidding! I'm sure Sleeper and Junkman might have something to say on this topic.

Very nice pictures. The SkyVan is a great jump aircraft. These days, I'm a little too old to be jumping out of anything other than my bed.

Sincerely,

Bill Lockwood

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

Thank's for the very positive responses!

Yes indeed, it has been quite an exciting year for me. I learnt more now than I did in 13years of flying (gliders, hanging out at the local airfield as a kid) before.
Please excuse me not making it a solely professional post. I had to include the beer nights in ther post since that was where I really got to know a whole lot of new folks. I never really considered myself a very outgoing and extrovert person, but I was proven wrong. I,like all others in aviation, have the opportunity to meet very interesting characters on my journeys; which is also one of the best aspects of a flying job: meeting new people that you share a common interest with.

Bill, you jumped the Skyvan? Where? I believe they have a few in Perris, Eloy and Deland...

Best regards,
Maximilian

EDIT: yes, Sleeper and Junkman best know how much I can eat is a short time...those guys had to live off bread and water for two montswhen I left the US :lol: 8)

blockwood
Airman

Post by blockwood »

Max

I jumped at Perris Drop Zone when I was stationed at March AFB. I was used to jumping from the DC-3 there, so the SkyVan was an eye opener. You get to altitude soooooo fast! It's also hard to screw up your exit, no matter how hard you try.

Sigismund
Airman

Post by Sigismund »

Just found this old post. As a skydiver it’s amazing to find a post about the PINK-Skyvan in the A2A forum. Did a couple hundred jumps out of the FDP, FDI, FDN and FDK at different dropzones in Germany, Klatovy and even in Fano.
Hope the day will come, that A2A will do an Accu-Sim Super-Skyvan, but I guess it’s a bit to special. Scott said that he need fully access to an aircraft to develop it, and the skyvan is a rare thing nowadays.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Sigismund wrote: 04 Nov 2023, 06:35 Just found this old post. As a skydiver it’s amazing to find a post about the PINK-Skyvan in the A2A forum. Did a couple hundred jumps out of the FDP, FDI, FDN and FDK at different dropzones in Germany, Klatovy and even in Fano.
Hope the day will come, that A2A will do an Accu-Sim Super-Skyvan, but I guess it’s a bit to special. Scott said that he need fully access to an aircraft to develop it, and the skyvan is a rare thing nowadays.
They have a Cockpit of an old Skyvan (FDE I think) in the hangar on the other side at Klatovy which they connected to XPlane, mounted it on hydraulic bars and wrote a flight model for it to train their pilots on the SC7. Their chief pilot Phillip is a friend of mine, he put me in there when he still had to fly during the day when I visited him… a bit like a child at Ikea 🤣🤣 I loved it.

The Skyvan is a great plane but MSFS doesn‘t support the TPE engines, all they do is PT-6. it would really require Accusim or similar to simulate a Skyvan.
Attachments
IMG_4736.jpeg
IMG_4736.jpeg (469.15 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
IMG_4737.jpeg
IMG_4737.jpeg (442.49 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

Sigismund
Airman

Post by Sigismund »

Wow, I didn’t know that. The FDE had that awesome Nemo-Livery. I will bring a huge amount of beer when im at klatovy next time to get to this simulator!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Skyvan's an odd one. Reportedly, it flies much better than it ought to by is looks. The interior is just cavernous for an aircraft of its size. We speculated whether it was originally designed to carry small military vehicles, but limitations on floor loading, particularly near the ramp if I recall correctly, did not suggest so.

Technically, it is not all around brilliance, let us put it that way. Kind of double sheet fuselage structure it had was pretty much irreparable in case it found itself having gone through any worse incident, particularly one involving water. The nose gear was attached to a flimsy bulkhead that was pretty much unreinforced as far as I could tell, all the previous repairs aside, which made the aircraft delicate to tow around. The flight controls were connected by 'chains' made of individual aluminum tubes, each about a meter or so long (and most being unique), connected together with kind of eye bolt bearings and riding within supports with rollers. The rollers wore grooves on to the tubes, thus, they were replaceable items - of course, with no replacements available. The list went on.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”