the "de facto" limiting altitude

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

the "de facto" limiting altitude

Post by MarcE »

Hi all,

I am currently flying the Bonanza from Northern England to Iceland. I am at 12000ft, full throttle gives me an MP of 19'' so carrying me +2 I could easily go higher.

Also we have other airplanes like the C182 or the Comanche that are still far from home at that altitude, they can easily hit 16 or 18000ft. Are we still limited to around 12000ft due to hypoxia although no oxygen is simulated?

Altitude is range in case of an engine problem and atm I am coming closer to a cloud field that doesn't look like a dry and calm experience.. So I basically can't go higher because of the hypoxia thing (nobody would do that trip without oxygen) and I can't go down into warmer air because I'd lose that bit of safety and I can't fly through the clouds because of icing?

Yeah, I'll decend to warmer altitudes but climbing would be the actually better choice (in reality)

Cheers,
Marc

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: the "de facto" limiting altitude

Post by Oracle427 »

Climbing might be a better choice, but at higher altitudes you tend to have much stronger winds aloft. You also tend to lose cruise performance above 7,000 feet in naturally aspirated engines.

You might have better endurance, but not necessarily better range due too many factors. In my experience going very high has usually been a wash unless you have some very good tailwinds. Tailwinds can still slow your progress a fair amount unless they are well into your rear arc. The slower you get, the more you have to crab into the wind and the less benefit you obtain.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

An additional oxygen system completed with goggles and a low temp suit would be nice for the GA range.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

As of now you are limited by hypoxia. The effects aren’t instant so if you want to push it in the sim listen for heavy breathing and then start descending or set autopilot to descend
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

pilot37
Senior Airman

Post by pilot37 »

n421nj wrote:As of now you are limited by hypoxia. The effects aren’t instant so if you want to push it in the sim listen for heavy breathing and then start descending or set autopilot to descend
Is hypoxia modeled in the Comanche / 182 / Cherokee? I've yet to be affected.

OFF Topic :

Talking about hypoxia, I just noticed you have the very computer spec that I have been considering moving up to from an i7 2600 @4.3GHz (GTX1080) With my spec I have to fly in good weather / low traffic to avoid stuttering.

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

pilot37 wrote: Is hypoxia modeled in the Comanche / 182 / Cherokee? I've yet to be affected.
Yes it is. I once lost my Comanche flying over 15 000 ft for too long.
It takes only one time but then you never make the mistake again :mrgreen:

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Marvin-E34 wrote: It takes only one time but then you never make the mistake again :mrgreen:
Hi Folks,

Kind of the same way in real life...
;)

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”