Young student pilot in emergency landing

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Just watched this video and had to share. What a great job all around on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B229-KLudTo

Mike

Edited: Adding news story as well. Quite the young lady...

https://www.aviation24.be/manufacturers ... -take-off/
Last edited by Mikenor on 11 Sep 2018, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Young student pilot in emergency landing

Post by FAC257 »

That was awesome!
FAC257

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Like a Champ. Well done, Maggie! :D

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Post by rhenson529 »

Thank you Mike for sharing. I found another news story on this where she talks about her ordeal.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-pilots-m ... d=57745039

Makes you also wonder why a wheel would fall of during take off. Was it something missed during preflight? A few months ago a wing falls off a Piper. Humm, can’t wait to see the NTSB report.

Ron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

An outstanding job by the young lady and a credit to her instructor and flying training in general, that someone so young and inexperienced can handle a situation like that with such presence of mind and grace.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Well handled by everyone involved. And hats off to the young lady for such a great job!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Agreed Ron, not even a mention in that story and couldn’t find much yesterday when searching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Don't be too hard on her for preflight. I once had a raging row with a young instructor because he sent me to preflight an
aircraft and came out 10 minutes later and I hadn't quite finished...he told me "You don't need to check these thoroughly, lots of different pilots fly them lots of times a day"... my reply was that was EXACTLY why I checked them so thoroughly. He put "time waster" down on my student sheet..the CFI removed it and had a quiet word to him!

Sometimes students feel obliged to see what SHOULD be there, not what is. And in any case, if the fault was up in the joint, it may not have been terribly visible anyhow.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote:Don't be too hard on her for preflight. I once had a raging row with a young instructor because he sent me to preflight an
aircraft and came out 10 minutes later and I hadn't quite finished...he told me "You don't need to check these thoroughly, lots of different pilots fly them lots of times a day"... my reply was that was EXACTLY why I checked them so thoroughly. He put "time waster" down on my student sheet..the CFI removed it and had a quiet word to him!

Sometimes students feel obliged to see what SHOULD be there, not what is. And in any case, if the fault was up in the joint, it may not have been terribly visible anyhow.
I agree, both on your pre-flight regimen and on the young lady's pre-flight. Whatever failed on her main gear was most likely not obvious on her normal pre-flight inspection.
We have an axiom in the accident investigation business.
"Only the FAA and the NTSB believe that pilots have X-Ray vision that "should have every time" detected the undetectable problem that caused something to fail on your aircraft."
DH

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Interesting how badly the taxiway light has pierced the wing's leading edge, don't you think?

I've thought that those lights would be very easy to knock down, and that wing itself would easily just knock it down, maybe get bent a bit that's it...

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I have held a taxi light and that thing feels like a club made of lead. They are built very solidly. Airplanes on the other hand, are not so solid... :)

Really well done for all parties involved.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Wow! Good job from the instructor bringing her back to focus on flying the plane and the approach on the freq. Glad all ended well and smooth. Also happy someone notice she had lost a main on takeoff. Would have made for a bad surprise on touch down...

Edit:

Come to think about it.. I’m wondering if knowing cause more stress on the captain than she needed.. After all, the missing landing gear resulted in a lost of control on the roll out.. due to wingtip bitting the asphalt... knowing or not, the outcome should be the same no? what do you think?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

I definitely want to know if something is wrong!

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

The USAF ATC has a habit of confirming gear position if you lower your landing gear as a matter of procedure. I seem to recall when I was doing touch and goes at Eielson AFB they would call that my landing gear was good (and I was flying an old 172 without a retractable wheel).
ImageImage
ImageImage

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

CodyValkyrie wrote:The USAF ATC has a habit of confirming gear position if you lower your landing gear as a matter of procedure. I seem to recall when I was doing touch and goes at Eielson AFB they would call that my landing gear was good (and I was flying an old 172 without a retractable wheel).
"Gear down. 3 Green"
The standard call.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”