Comanche @ 400 Hours

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Salud
Airman

Re: Comanche @ 400 Hours

Post by Salud »

Blitzer wrote: I have not posted the trip as yet, I was never intending to post about it at all until it was completed, however the 400 hours felt like a milestone. I was planning to post the full trip details once I had completed the tour.

The plan is to fly up through Newfoundland, up to Goose Bay before a long crossing to Narsarsuaq Greenland, then a similar long crossing to Iceland. From there to the Faroe Islands, Shetland and then down through Scotland. Chances are I may extend the route thereafter and continue to do a loop around Africa - guess that may get me to 500 hours! :shock: 8)
Hey Blitzer, how is your trip going? Did you make it over the Atlantic? And how is the Comanche doing?

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Salud wrote:
Blitzer wrote: I have not posted the trip as yet, I was never intending to post about it at all until it was completed, however the 400 hours felt like a milestone. I was planning to post the full trip details once I had completed the tour.

The plan is to fly up through Newfoundland, up to Goose Bay before a long crossing to Narsarsuaq Greenland, then a similar long crossing to Iceland. From there to the Faroe Islands, Shetland and then down through Scotland. Chances are I may extend the route thereafter and continue to do a loop around Africa - guess that may get me to 500 hours! :shock: 8)
Hey Blitzer, how is your trip going? Did you make it over the Atlantic? And how is the Comanche doing?
Hi Salud,

As it happens I made a bit of a push recently before the weather deteriorated to the point where the Atlantic legs may have been effected by poor weather. Before setting off from Newfoundland I did carry out a few repairs, both oil and air filters plus a dodgy flap with excess play in the linkage. I was brave and just checked the compression but otherwise left the cylinders alone.

Over the past few weekends I have crossed from Newfoundland (not via Goose Bay) to Narsarsuaq, then on to Iceland. This weekend just gone I completed two legs Iceland to Faroe Islands then on to Sumburgh in the Shetlands - so I am officially back in the UK I guess. Had some pretty dicey weather with strong cross winds, with low cloud and poor visibility, was an interesting experience but managed to make safe landing.

Despite the condition and relative abuse the Comanche has received it has proven to be a reliable workhorse. All going well I will head down the UK this coming weekend. Still not sure if I will elect to extend my trip to loop around Africa... kinda thinking it would be a good way to become more acquainted with the Bonanza and do that as a separate trip.

Thing is I would like to virtually fund the trip in Air Hauler 2 as I started halfway around my world trip, problem is I don't have the funds to buy a Bonanza and don't wanna sell the Comanche either. :) :wink:

_ME2_
Airman First Class

Post by _ME2_ »

Nice trip so far! :)
What tool are you using to track and visualize your flights?

Cheers, Mike
Cherockee 180 / Comanche 250 / Constellation L049

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

_ME2_ wrote:Nice trip so far! :)
What tool are you using to track and visualize your flights?

Cheers, Mike
I have been using Plan-G to plot my route and keep track where I have been. I will probably use Littlenavmap for my next trip though. :)

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

As it happens I finished my Globe Trotting tour after work today. Just a short final leg between Southampton airport and Shoreham which my starting point many many months ago and my final destination.

I will post some more pics and details at some point, but on landing the Hobbs meter was reading bang on 425 hours and I have covered about 45,000 miles. Checking the engine four of the cylinders are still looking worse for wear, but the Comanche it still proving to be reliable. :D

My intention is now to continue flying the Comanche in Airhauler 2 until I can afford to buy a Bonanza. Then I expect I will do as I said previously and take a tour around Africa and then back up through the med and Europe. That should be a long enough trip to get familiar with the Bonanza that I have not yet spent much time flying. :o

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Congrats on your round the world flight! Glad the Comanche got you back safe and sound! I heard that they have a rebuilt engine sitting on a shelf with your Comanche's number on it. Your current engine can go on display at the Lycoming Museum!

Seeya
ATB

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Paughco wrote:Congrats on your round the world flight! Glad the Comanche got you back safe and sound! I heard that they have a rebuilt engine sitting on a shelf with your Comanche's number on it. Your current engine can go on display at the Lycoming Museum!

Seeya
ATB
:lol: The museum will have to wait a while longer, I intend to keep running the Comanche to see how long it is before the cylinders deteriorate to the point where they turn red. :wink:

Paul

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”