New Stick and Pedals for Long Time CH User... Very Impressed

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
aonyn
Staff Sergeant

New Stick and Pedals for Long Time CH User... Very Impressed

Post by aonyn »

Hi All,

I have been using CH Gear for many years, over 15 at least, but the old pots were showing their age and were noisy even after cleaning.

Finally, I bit the bullet and decided to update my flight sim gear, and opted for a VKB Gladiator MkII and VKB Rudder Pedals. The reason I opted for these was the MaRS sensors, and smoothness reported by some users in other forums and videos. Also, I just wasn't prepared for the cost of Crosswind pedals and HOTAS Warthogs, which would have been my budget not an issue choice.

Well, after receiving them, and using them for almost a week now, I am very impressed and pleased with my choice. The build quality seems very high, especially for the pedals. All of the axis on both are super smooth, electronically and physically. On the stick, there is absolutely no center detent, and tension is even and increases naturally in all directions without feeling spring loaded. The pedals also are very smooth, with a very minor detent, but it is less than I ever felt with CH pedals, Thrustmaster pedals, etc. The tension is also easily adjustable to user taste with the pedals.

The only downfall, no physical toe brakes on the pedals, but VKB provides software which apparently will allow virtual toebrake axis, but I have not spent the time to figure it out and configure it yet. For now, I am happily using toe brake mapped buttons which is really not hindering me at all.

On another positive note, I also happen to enjoy helicopters. These pedals are absolutely ideal for helicopter anti-torque, as well as the very smooth stick. My helicopters have never been more enjoyable.

----

So, now I am interested in one other update, a MaRS or Hall Effect throttle quadrant to complete my new rig. VKB apparently have two on the horizon, including a WWII inspired quadrant, but neither of their planned quadrants are available at this time. I am debating on whether to wait, or get something inexpensive but new and clean in the meantime. Any suggestions on a smooth and AFFORDABLE quadrant?

[EDIT] First of course I flew the Cub, where better to check a new stick and rudder than the old reliable J3. Last night, I pulled the old B377 out of the hanger for the first time in a while, and had an absolutely lovely flight. Most surprising to me, I received applause from the passengers on landing for the first time with my new gear. I thought the landing would be sketchy, but it was perhaps my smoothest yet in the B377. [END EDIT]

Thanks,
Dave

FYI, here is a render of their idea for a WWII quadrant. It looks rather awesome.
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”