Should I get Track Ir

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Should I get Track Ir

Post by ratty »

Buffy Foster wrote:
WB_FlashOver wrote:Once you are comfortable with it you will catch yourself twisting your head around while watching YouTube videos of flying, trying to look around :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Cheers
Roger
Ha, you too?! :D
Same.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I've been using TIR since...er..a long time. Started with racing(several titles) and on to Flying. Flying without it is like have your head in a vice. But.

I've recently been introduced to VR and it is like the second coming, a miracle. That's my next stop and very soon.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Post by thunderstreak »

I’ll add my two cents.
I’ve had TrackIR for years, also since the days of the original IL2.
No issues, a must have in my opinion.

I never “fly” without it.
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S
P3Dv5 L049 T-6 172 182 PA-24 PA-28 Spit P-51x2 P-40 Bonanza B-17 Accu-Feel

[email protected], ASUS Z170-P 32GB DDR4 2133 RTX 2070 8GB Win10Pro P3Dv5.1 HF1

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

[quote="Buffy Foster"]I love my Track-IR and I use the pro clip instead of the hat clip; I think it's more reliable. You can center the view wherever you want, so you can have your main instruments included. And yeah, map a button to 'Pause' so you can look around your real desk or have a bite of sammich without moving your view. :)

And if you dont want to wear a headset but still use the pro clip, you can use a hair band like these:

I use a hairband I stole from my wife, I removed the colorful cloth and covered it with brown leather. Got to keep my rep intact. We don't need no stinking headset ! :D

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I consider TrackIR or similar to be the first priority to get after a joystick with throttle.

It's not just the immersion, the ability to look around effortlessly is extremely useful. For example, before TrackIR I could never get lined up on final properly. I never could figure out where to start my turn. With TrackIR it was immediately obvious where to turn. This kind of thing turns the A2A Cub into a whole new experience.

Something not immediately apparent is that because you can look around, you can set the zoom level to have your instruments and the outside world something close to actual size. After a flight in a real Cessna 172 I realized that the runway looked huge when on approach, while in the flight sim it was tiny, and started using a higher zoom. I can look out the windows at scenery or move my head a bit to look at my instruments, and I don't have to see all my instruments at the same time. It is very natural. It makes the scenery a lot more impressive. Judging from comments I've read, I may be the only person who has ever done this. Anyone else out there tried it?

To find the right zoom level, keep zooming in until your instruments look life size or you've gotten as close as you can stand it. I didn't start with the zoom level I'm using now. Heidi's head in the Cub looks a bit too big, but that's because her head would be closer to me in the real plane than my monitor is. :D

I have buttons on my joystick to center the view and pause the movement and I use them constantly. Setting these up is essential.

I had a bit of motion sickness when I first got TrackIR, then discovered the trick to prevent it: When you move your head to look in another direction, move your eyes in that direction as well. You would probably find yourself doing this naturally after a short time anyway.

Hook

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

In addition to the Track IR - add Chaseplane to the mix for instant zooms for various views to manipulate instruments - and it’s practically perfect...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

scottb613 wrote:Hi Folks,

In addition to the Track IR - add Chaseplane to the mix for instant zooms for various views to manipulate instruments - and it’s practically perfect...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SNAP, ChasePlane recommendation here too.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

+1 for trackIR. Like most others, can't imagine flying without it now.

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Been using TIR since my IL2 (original) days. I could not imagine flying a sim without it. It is up there with stick, throttle and rudder in importance.
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”