Why am I being forced to use Paypal

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Pinepix
Airman

Why am I being forced to use Paypal

Post by Pinepix »

How can I purchase from the shop without being forced to create a paypal account
Johan Pienaar

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Why am I being forced to use Paypal

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have not used the new purchase site , but you should have the option to pay via paypal as a guest without makeing an account at paypal , double check you did not miss anything during purchase , as i to always pay as a guest via paypal , else i dont use it.
regards alan. 8)

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

I'm afraid I also was made to start a PayPal account. I tried fruitlessly to find another option and even got my wife to see if she could see a way but no go.

I was eager to finally get the Comanche so gave in and started a PayPal account which I will promptly forget the account details and next time who knows!?!

Edit: I also miss the option to shop in GBP!
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

You can get KeePass (https://keepass.info/) which is a nice open-source password (and serial number!) saving utility that stores them in an encrypted database. Theres versions for iOS and Android, too. Plus, it can generate passwords too. :)

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

I used it last night and basically the sequence goes like this

1) Click "proceed with paypal"

2) You are given the option to log in to pay pay or set up an account. Directly below that in a less obvious part of the screen (light grey box instead of bright blue) is a box that says to "pay with debit or credit card"

3) After you successfully make the transaction you are prompted again to open a paypal account but are not required to do so

Hope this helps

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

When I was making my purchase about a week ago the grey box to pay by credit or debit card was there and I clicked it. But it took me back to the create a PayPal account. Round and round I went till I asked my wife to save me and she tried as well. Then I just created as account to save my sanity. Maybe a fault on the day. Maybe because I am in the UK. No idea.
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

dseagrav
Senior Airman

Post by dseagrav »

Someone else on another forum I talk to frequently has to pay friends to buy things for him wherever paypal is required because he is banned from paypal. He declared bankruptcy a few years ago due to medical bills after a car accident, and even though he did not owe Paypal any money, they told him having a bankruptcy on your record is grounds for an immediate and permanent ban from all paypal services.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I have some information that some may be interested in on encryption apps for keeping your passwords secure. I was and still am using safehouse (free) on some of my devices. I discovered an alternative when I had a problem with my safehouse install on one of my PCs and could not get it repaired. So I looked around and found out you can encrypt a file using 7zip. If you don't have 7zip you should as it can handle almost any archive available and is free. Here are a couple of links. The first is the 7zip site where you can download the app. The second is how to create a encrypted file with 7zip. Using an encrypted file for your passwords means you only have to remember one password. :D

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... irefox-b-1

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

Concerning the ability to pay with Paypal without creating a Paypal account, this was possible in the past (some years ago) from everywhere. But nowadays, this option is not available anymore in some countries. In France for example, you cannot pay without creating your account anymore, but you could a few years ago.
I suppose the situation is the same in some other countries.
In the end, I also ended up creating a Paypal account... and honestly, I'm quite happy about it. Never had any problems.
You only need to be careful about the spam emails you get from people pretending to be Paypal...

Pinepix
Airman

Post by Pinepix »

Eventually gave up and created a Paypal account. Even if you enter the credit cared details the Paypal section at the bottom of the screen does not allow you proceed as some Paypal required fields are missing.
Johan Pienaar

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”