Windows 7

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Windows 7

Post by thunderstreak »

I am looking for some thoughts/opinions on operating systems and system components.

Current system specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Quad-Core
NVIDIA 780i
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz (just added 2 more, total 8GB)
Seagate 2TB (4x500GB) SATA HDD
2 x NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+ (SLI)
Pioneer 20X DVD-writer SATA
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
Matrox TripleHead2Go
3 x Samsung 22"
Track IR 4 Pro
Saitek X52 Pro & Rudder Pedals
CH Products Yoke, Throttle Quadrant & Pedals
Buttkicker Gamer
Logitech 5.1 Surround

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

I have had this system for a year now and have been struggling to get reasonable frame rates in FSX.
I have read a billion posts and tried half a billion of the settings and tweaks and all possible combinations in between without any real change.
I consistently get framerates in the 20's but drop to the 10's whenever I get near cities and airports with even moderate detail.
Large cities/airports like New York or LA must be avoided, getting around 6 - 8 FPS.

The only scenery addons so far are UTX, Ground Environment X & Flight Environment X and FS Global X.
I reverted back to default scenery with no real improvement so I don't think those are to blame.
I have read alot of complaints about Vista.
I have noticed that Vista is a memory hog and always seems to have a million things going on in the background.
I tried Gamebooster and FSAutoStart to shut some of this down but the system became unstable using those.

Anyways after realizing FSX was providing me with hours of tweaking enjoyment (not!) and minimal flying time I formatted the hard drive!
I added another 4GB of ram and have now installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
Tonight I'll start reinstalling FSX and Acceleration and start all over again.
Hopefully all the good things I have read about 7 are true.

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the B-17!
All thoughts and comments are appreciated.
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S
P3Dv5 L049 T-6 172 182 PA-24 PA-28 Spit P-51x2 P-40 Bonanza B-17 Accu-Feel

[email protected], ASUS Z170-P 32GB DDR4 2133 RTX 2070 8GB Win10Pro P3Dv5.1 HF1

tazz
Airman Basic

Re: Windows 7

Post by tazz »

I had Vista 64 running on my system (Q6600 & GTX 8800) for well over a year. I applied every tweak known, and only got slightly better results with FSX over XP32. FS9 performance was better. So I stuck with FS9 until moving to Windows 7/64. Now I mainly fly FSX as Windows 7 seems to have made some difference. I still use some tweaks, and don't get the greatest frame rates over heavily populated autogen areas. But I'm happy with the performance I'm getting especially with Orbx's Pacific North West. In my opinion, Windows 7 is a big improvement over Vista. Or ... at least it was for me.

Dangerous Beans
Staff Sergeant

Re: Windows 7

Post by Dangerous Beans »

thunderstreak, a couple of things to note concerning your system and FSX.

First as you don't mention it in your specs I amuse your not overclocking your CPU.
The stock speed of the Q9550 is 2.83 GHz, FSX really starts to come alive at speeds over 3 GHz so even a small overclock should help.

Secondly "2 x NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+ (SLI)"
FSX doesn't support SLI and is even known to run slower on SLI'ed systems so if you use you system for games other than FSX make sure that one of the GPU's in disabled when running FSX.
If FSX is the only thing you run on it take one of those card out.

Other than that you should see a slight improvement with Win 7 but in wont be much.

Asus Strix Z270H
i7-7700K
16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
MSI GTX 1070 GamingX
Corsair H100i V2 Cooler
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case
Asus VE276Q 27" Monitor 1920x1080
Win 10

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”