Next air combat game announced - The Flying Tigers

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
RichardIII
Staff Sergeant

Post by RichardIII »

What "engine" is it? Does it already exist, or is it going to be created from scratch? Sorry, but I've got this picture in my mind of the WOP detailed aircraft and superior flight models in a combat sim and it makes my mouth water. :P

Rich 8)
I've got 40 109's cornered over Berlin!

mJolner
Airman

Post by mJolner »

Really exciting news.

2007 will be a great year for Flight Simming. So many developments. Olegs BOB Storm of War, LOMAC Black Shark, all of the developments with FSX, and now this new WWII Air combat sim from Shockwave, the trumpets are blaring. Considering the imminent release of Vista and DX10 I am almost giddy, with childish ecxitement.

I have already been thinking about my hopes for this new sim from Shockwave. I hope they stick to the same concept of "Absolute realism".

Fully "clickable" cockpits and aircraft engine performance variables are a must have. A flight model that utilizes complex dynamic real time calculations taking aerofoil shape into account, not to mention environmental effects and conditions.

So many aspects of a good FM, too many to mention, I guess if Shockwave's new FM has even 30% of them I will be happy.

I am hoping for realistic ballistics that actually compare the size of the round in calculations for damage effects. I am hoping for new bounds in damage modeling, and an auto log that provides a data sheet at the end of a scenario listing every round that hit and the damage inflicted, or something to that effect.

These are just a few ideas, many may say "what a pipe dream". Well, probably right, but the hardware in most PCs is capable of much of what I "Hope" will be possible and a reality in Shockwave's and many other new up and coming flight sims. Lets hope developers keep raising the bar. I understand there are limitations in both time and money when developing new software and games, etc. But new technology provides the foundation for new possibilities, I for one hope that Shockwave will keep setting the standard for what Flight simming and now Combat flight simming is supposed to be.

Note: I understand that Shockwave is not green in the world of Combat Flight sims, I have both Firepower, and Wings of Victory. I am anxious to see what they do with a blank canvas.

Cheers

Bolt
Airman

Post by Bolt »

This is great news indeed but.... will this have multiplayer ? for most PC pilots like me ..the offline missions are ok but eventually stale . multiplayer for me is what makes a combat flightsim great , playing with , or against other players is a big plus for any sim . I hope this happens ! 8)

John Pimlott
Senior Airman

Post by John Pimlott »

Great news indeed.
That sounds exactly what the combat sim community need.
Will this sim be built on an existing game engine or will it be built from the ground up?
Also, will it be expandable to other theatres in time.

CWOJackson
Senior Airman

Post by CWOJackson »

Thanks Scott and team. I'm glad to see someone developing a new era and theater.

I've long hoped for something such as the Spanish Civil War, that transition period where aircraft design and tactics collided and had to quickly evolve. From dogfighting with canvas covered biplanes to heavy all metal monowing aircraft with retracting landing gear.

Although not the Spanish Civil War, the CBI still has similar elements and should prove interesting. Thanks for taking us somewhere different.

jaffa
Airman

Post by jaffa »

John Pimlott wrote:Great news indeed.
That sounds exactly what the combat sim community need.
Will this sim be built on an existing game engine or will it be built from the ground up?
Also, will it be expandable to other theatres in time.
Actually what this community needs more is a bomber sim.
We already have fighter sims! (IL2,BoB etc)

Now when will we see our beloved B17? With online multicrew (humans) capability??

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

As our engine becomes more standardized and opened, it becomes easier to make more games. Already, it has strong features for a bomber sim. Hopefully, we'll see this happen in the future.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

mudmarine
Staff Sergeant

Post by mudmarine »

Now that's good news!! Hopefully a bomber sim in the future!! S/F MudMarine

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

One idea would be to market the flying tigers simulation as a History Channel game and include the flying tigers show with it.I'm looking forward to the heavy bombers simulation.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

stlkrash
Airman

ok

Post by stlkrash »

How about this, Make it expandable to the point where fighters bombers and cargo are all possible. And for that matter add in a new feature,like AI campaings to have a real time world war. Where as the time goes on AI does its thing and people can sing on the server and jump in a patorl. So every flight turns out to be an adventure. I'm sure the negitive aspects will be posted here, But I figure VATSIM can do it so can someone else.

heinkill
BDG

Post by heinkill »

why not start a new forum on shockwaveprod.com for flying tigers to do some premarketing? seems like there's plenty of interest scott, and you must have bits and bobs you can tease people with over the next year (screenshots, vids etc)

sounds like a great project, good luck!

GOZR
Senior Airman

Post by GOZR »

No link to see what is it ?
Thx
-GOZR

Pobs
Airman Basic

Post by Pobs »

great news guys :)...

looking forward to the release already :).... will it have an online component ?..

cheers,

Pobs

Wrongway Hooligan
Airman

The Flying Tigers

Post by Wrongway Hooligan »

JJB17463rdBombGroup wrote:One idea would be to market the flying tigers simulation as a History Channel game and include the flying tigers show with it.I'm looking forward to the heavy bombers simulation.
You have to see this: http://flyingtigersvideo.com/

Revvin
Airman Basic

Post by Revvin »

2007 will be a good year for us flight sim fans :D
Revvin
The CH Hangar - Profiles, news and help for CH users

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”