Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device

Post by Paughco »

Recently my Windows 10 machine has been asking me if I want to allow Active Sky and P3D to make changes to my device. Not necessarily, I just want to run them and fly my airplane! Still, every time I try to use Active Sky or P3D, I get that same question. The general fix for this is to totally "drop all the shields" so to speak, in the User Account Controls utility, which I would prefer not to do. So I searched the Internet for a more elegant solution, and hey! I found it! Here is the link to the method for selectively granting higher privileges to specific programs. It's a bit complicated, but I did it, for Active Sky, P3D, and even for Discord. Here is the link to the method: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/576 ... -10-a.html.

The deed is done through the Task Scheduler utility. I did it exactly as specified in the directions in that link, and created a task "Elevated command prompt" and a corresponding shortcut on my desktop. That was the test run. I did it again, only this time I named the tasks "Active Sky", "P3D", and "Discord". I had to create corresponding shortcuts on the desktop, and go looking for the correct icons in each of the programs. I found that I could just click on P3D.exe, for example, and the icon would be picked up by the shortcut.

Why did Microsoft add this new little inconvenience to their recent Windows 10 update? Is it just on my machine? Will they change their collective minds and put things back the way they were? Dunno. But, if you have the same hassle and want to fix it, check out that link. For now at least, I am cookin' in the fast lane.

UPDATE: This is a work in progress. Seems this asking if I want to allow thing is triggered by starting P3D in Administrator mode. So if I start it in regular mode that asking if I want to allow the app to make changes thing is eliminated. The fancy method described above works great except for one hassle, which is with the task scheduler routine and the special shortcut I get a message from P3D that it can't find my scenario and it will give me the default scenario. So I still get an extra click on the way to starting my favorite program, no matter what I do. Why do we need to start P3D in administrator mode, anyway?

Meanwhile, I'm going to fly my Comanche through some valleys to get from Jackson Hole to Billings.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”