My Latest Spitfire Build

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

My Latest Spitfire Build

Post by Dogsbody55 »

As there's been no release of a new plane, I've spent less time on the computer and more time at my modelling desk. This is just as well as my latest build was part of a group build and there is a time limit for the group (31/5/18), so I've just made the deadline. The plane in question is a Spitfire MkXVIe, SL721, and it's painted as the personal plane of Air Chief Marshall Sir James Robb. In the time frame in which I have modelled this plane, 1947, Robb was the Commander in Chief of RAF Fighter Command. The plane has a long history, as it still flies today. Here's a few pictures of the model.

Spitfire SL721 never flew in WW2, as it was delivered new to No.6 Maintenance Unit of 27th August 1945. From there, it went to the Fighter Command Communications Squadron in October 1946, then later that month it went on to the Meteoroligical Flight for use by Sir James Robb, who at that time was Commander in Chief of RAF Fighter Command. Soon afterwards, it was sent back to Vickers Supermarine for refitting. All armament was removed, and the gun bays converted to luggage lockers. The gun sight was also removed, as was the rear fuselage fuel tank, and much of the remainder of it's military equipment. It was also painted in RAF Scheme D Light PRU Blue as seen here. In this form, the plane was a dream to fly as it's performance was very much enhanced by the removal of so much weight.

The plane was used by Air Marshall Robb to tour the various bases in Great Britain. It also appeared in a few races, including the Kings Cup. In June 1948, it was involved in a landing accident. The pilot on this occasion was AVM Sir John Boothman, who was also the pilot who took the Schnieder Trophy in 1931. SL721 was sent back to it's manufacturer's for repair, this time being repainted in RAF Scheme D PRU dark blue. The plane went back to the 31 Squadron RAF (nominally) for Sir James Robb's continued use, who by now was Commander In Chief, Airforces Europe, until he retired in August 1951.

On retiring, Sir James handed over his plane to the commanding officer of the Central Flying School at Little Rissington until in late 1954, despite many objections from the CFS staff, the plane was ordered to be scrapped. While awaiting it's fate at RAF Lyneham, it was spotted by an automotive garage owner who purchased it for 120 pounds for display on his forecourt at Swandean It was well looked after here, and the engine was stared regularly to keep it in reasonable fettle.

Three years later, the plane was moved to Lord Montagu's estate for display, where it appears to have stayed, in the open, until 1966. It seems to have been traded multiple times in a very short time span, without actually being moved, firstly for 2000 pounds, then 3000GBP, then 4000GBP. Finally in 1967, it made it's way to the United States, by now being owned by William "Bill" Ross, a Chicago businessman and aircraft collector. Ross had the plane refurbished in Atlanta, Georgia, and it was now painted in a glossy green/brown camouflage with azure blue undersides, but still wearing JM-R as squadron codes. SL721 spent some years now on the display circuit in the US, often flown by legendary warbird pilot Jerry Billing. Some time in 1972, the plane was sold to Englishman Doug Arnold, and shipped back to the UK. He repainted the squadron codes with his initials D-A. Again, the plane appeared at air displays until it was sold again in 1978 to Woodson K Woods of Chino, California. Here, Woods repainted SL721 in a more accurate green/grey camouflage and again refurbished the plane. It now wore the squadron codes WK-W and again flew on the display circuit. It also appeared at Reno in 1981, in mock combat with a Hispano ME109 "Buchon", where SL721 achieved her first "kill", shooting down the Buchon in mock combat.

Woodson loaned SL721 to the San Diego Aerospace Museum for 7 years, starting in 1982. On return, the plane was trucked to Colorado for a complete rebuild. Woodson's son Chris would care for the plane for another 8 years until in late in 1998, he had the plane repainted again, this time in azure blue and in the markings of Sir James Robb.

The plane was sold again in 2000 or 2001, soon after appearing again at Reno. This time, it went to Canada and became part of the Vintage Wings of Canada collection. Here, it was repainted in the markings of TB886, AU-J, a Spitfire XVI flown by 421 Squadron RCAF and has flown many displays in honour of fallen Canadian airmen of WW2. It was put up for sale again in August 2017.

Earlier this year, SL 721 was purchased by a Belgian consortium, and is now flying again in that country, registered as OO-XVI. [url]https://forum.keypub...ce-again-OO-XVI[/url] Who knows?? Maybe SL721 will fly again in the skies over Britain.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: My Latest Spitfire Build

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Amazing model Mike. The detail on the engine and the cockpit is crazy. What scale isn’t this in?

And thank you for the very interesting background story about the aircraft. Awesome stuff.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Dogsbody55 wrote:As there's been no release of a new plane, I've spent less time on the computer and more time at my modelling desk. This is just as well as my latest build was part of a group build and there is a time limit for the group (31/5/18), so I've just made the deadline. The plane in question is a Spitfire MkXVIe, SL721, and it's painted as the personal plane of Air Chief Marshall Sir James Robb. In the time frame in which I have modelled this plane, 1947, Robb was the Commander in Chief of RAF Fighter Command. The plane has a long history, as it still flies today. Here's a few pictures of the model.

Spitfire SL721 never flew in WW2, as it was delivered new to No.6 Maintenance Unit of 27th August 1945. From there, it went to the Fighter Command Communications Squadron in October 1946, then later that month it went on to the Meteoroligical Flight for use by Sir James Robb, who at that time was Commander in Chief of RAF Fighter Command. Soon afterwards, it was sent back to Vickers Supermarine for refitting. All armament was removed, and the gun bays converted to luggage lockers. The gun sight was also removed, as was the rear fuselage fuel tank, and much of the remainder of it's military equipment. It was also painted in RAF Scheme D Light PRU Blue as seen here. In this form, the plane was a dream to fly as it's performance was very much enhanced by the removal of so much weight.

The plane was used by Air Marshall Robb to tour the various bases in Great Britain. It also appeared in a few races, including the Kings Cup. In June 1948, it was involved in a landing accident. The pilot on this occasion was AVM Sir John Boothman, who was also the pilot who took the Schnieder Trophy in 1931. SL721 was sent back to it's manufacturer's for repair, this time being repainted in RAF Scheme D PRU dark blue. The plane went back to the 31 Squadron RAF (nominally) for Sir James Robb's continued use, who by now was Commander In Chief, Airforces Europe, until he retired in August 1951.

On retiring, Sir James handed over his plane to the commanding officer of the Central Flying School at Little Rissington until in late 1954, despite many objections from the CFS staff, the plane was ordered to be scrapped. While awaiting it's fate at RAF Lyneham, it was spotted by an automotive garage owner who purchased it for 120 pounds for display on his forecourt at Swandean It was well looked after here, and the engine was stared regularly to keep it in reasonable fettle.

Three years later, the plane was moved to Lord Montagu's estate for display, where it appears to have stayed, in the open, until 1966. It seems to have been traded multiple times in a very short time span, without actually being moved, firstly for 2000 pounds, then 3000GBP, then 4000GBP. Finally in 1967, it made it's way to the United States, by now being owned by William "Bill" Ross, a Chicago businessman and aircraft collector. Ross had the plane refurbished in Atlanta, Georgia, and it was now painted in a glossy green/brown camouflage with azure blue undersides, but still wearing JM-R as squadron codes. SL721 spent some years now on the display circuit in the US, often flown by legendary warbird pilot Jerry Billing. Some time in 1972, the plane was sold to Englishman Doug Arnold, and shipped back to the UK. He repainted the squadron codes with his initials D-A. Again, the plane appeared at air displays until it was sold again in 1978 to Woodson K Woods of Chino, California. Here, Woods repainted SL721 in a more accurate green/grey camouflage and again refurbished the plane. It now wore the squadron codes WK-W and again flew on the display circuit. It also appeared at Reno in 1981, in mock combat with a Hispano ME109 "Buchon", where SL721 achieved her first "kill", shooting down the Buchon in mock combat.

Woodson loaned SL721 to the San Diego Aerospace Museum for 7 years, starting in 1982. On return, the plane was trucked to Colorado for a complete rebuild. Woodson's son Chris would care for the plane for another 8 years until in late in 1998, he had the plane repainted again, this time in azure blue and in the markings of Sir James Robb.

The plane was sold again in 2000 or 2001, soon after appearing again at Reno. This time, it went to Canada and became part of the Vintage Wings of Canada collection. Here, it was repainted in the markings of TB886, AU-J, a Spitfire XVI flown by 421 Squadron RCAF and has flown many displays in honour of fallen Canadian airmen of WW2. It was put up for sale again in August 2017.

Earlier this year, SL 721 was purchased by a Belgian consortium, and is now flying again in that country, registered as OO-XVI. [url]https://forum.keypub...ce-again-OO-XVI[/url] Who knows?? Maybe SL721 will fly again in the skies over Britain.

Cheers,
Mike
I knew Bill Ross fairly well back when he owned this Mk16. It was painted in camouflage back then.
Bill was a great guy. He was a charter member of an organization I founded (The International Fighter Pilots Fellowship).
He loved this plane above the others he owned and flew it often.
Here's an image of the Spit from our files. I thought you might like to have it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U5DGNM ... sp=sharing
Dudley Henriques

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Thanks Dudley, for the picture. This certainly is an amazing aircraft. I have had the idea of doing it again, in another paint scheme. It's had enough to choose from!!! :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Amazing model Mike. The detail on the engine and the cockpit is crazy. What scale isn’t this in?

And thank you for the very interesting background story about the aircraft. Awesome stuff.

Happy flying
Thanks for your kind words. The kit is Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire MkXVIe and it's the best kit I've ever built. Every last part fitted perfectly and there's no filler covering joints or gaps except for a slight mismatch of the fuselage halves at the petrol tank. Tamiya have released a range of these 1/32 scale kits. I have 2 more Spitfires (MkVIII and IX), 3 Corsairs (birdcage, F4U1a and d), 2 Zeros, a Mustang and a Mosquito. They're not cheap, but very well detailed out of the box. However, I always like to add more. This one has taken me six months to build, the last two months have been spent on the engine.

However, if A2A had been able to release the Bonanza sooner, I doubt I'd have finished it yet. :lol: :lol: I'm now trying to choose the next build from my stash of kits and I suspect I'll struggle to finish it by years end.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Dogsbody55 wrote: Thanks for your kind words. The kit is Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire MkXVIe and it's the best kit I've ever built. Every last part fitted perfectly and there's no filler covering joints or gaps except for a slight mismatch of the fuselage halves at the petrol tank. Tamiya have released a range of these 1/32 scale kits. I have 2 more Spitfires (MkVIII and IX), 3 Corsairs (birdcage, F4U1a and d), 2 Zeros, a Mustang and a Mosquito. They're not cheap, but very well detailed out of the box. However, I always like to add more. This one has taken me six months to build, the last two months have been spent on the engine.

However, if A2A had been able to release the Bonanza sooner, I doubt I'd have finished it yet. :lol: :lol: I'm now trying to choose the next build from my stash of kits and I suspect I'll struggle to finish it by years end.
Wow 6 months with 2 on the engine only? I would never have the patience for this (or steady enough hands :wink: )!

Looks truly amazing.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

Magnificent!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

WOW that's a damn fine build! I assume airbrushed?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Michal - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Michal - A2A »

I was scrolling through first few photos and I thought, that's a nice build, then I got to the exposed engine.

This is an amazing model sir! Congratulations.

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

Dogsbody55 wrote:
Piper_EEWL wrote:Amazing model Mike. The detail on the engine and the cockpit is crazy. What scale isn’t this in?

Happy flying
Thanks for your kind words. The kit is Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire MkXVIe and it's the best kit I've ever built. Every last part fitted perfectly and there's no filler covering joints or gaps except for a slight mismatch of the fuselage halves at the petrol tank. Tamiya have released a range of these 1/32 scale kits. I have 2 more Spitfires (MkVIII and IX), 3 Corsairs (birdcage, F4U1a and d), 2 Zeros, a Mustang and a Mosquito. They're not cheap, but very well detailed out of the box. However, I always like to add more. This one has taken me six months to build, the last two months have been spent on the engine.

Cheers,
Mike
I have this kit! As well as a few others. My wife bought it to build for me, she just hasn't had time yet. If she finds the time, I'll try to remember to post the pictures. Nice job on this!

-stefan

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:WOW that's a damn fine build! I assume airbrushed?

thanks,
Lewis
Yes, it's airbrushed for the most part, and the colour and decals are then sealed in an airbrushed coat of gloss clear lacquer. I did try gloss clear rattle can, but after using up an entire can, it still looked rubbish.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Piper_EEWL wrote:
Dogsbody55 wrote: Thanks for your kind words. The kit is Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire MkXVIe and it's the best kit I've ever built. Every last part fitted perfectly and there's no filler covering joints or gaps except for a slight mismatch of the fuselage halves at the petrol tank. Tamiya have released a range of these 1/32 scale kits. I have 2 more Spitfires (MkVIII and IX), 3 Corsairs (birdcage, F4U1a and d), 2 Zeros, a Mustang and a Mosquito. They're not cheap, but very well detailed out of the box. However, I always like to add more. This one has taken me six months to build, the last two months have been spent on the engine.

Wow 6 months with 2 on the engine only? I would never have the patience for this (or steady enough hands :wink: )!

Looks truly amazing.
Wait til I start the birdcage Corsair!! That has another 6 cylinders :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Michal - A2A wrote:I was scrolling through first few photos and I thought, that's a nice build, then I got to the exposed engine.

This is an amazing model sir! Congratulations.
Thank you. My feeling is that if you're building a model in this scale, you want to see the engine. The kit engine is very well done, but I studied many pictures and used 0.3mm and 0.4mm wire, 1mm rod and even a little scrap guitar string to enhance it. You also need very fine drill sets and a pin vice, but better eye sight than I have would help some more!! I almost suffocated, holding my breath when drilling 12 0.3mm holes in a 25mm length of 1mm rod for the spark plug wires that run inside the V of the engine. There are 2 groups of 4 plug leads that need to be grouped very closely because of the design of the inlet manifold. The spark plugs are underneath this.

The Spitfire has a very special and hard to define quality about it that makes me want to do my best on this kit. Being a model of a plane that is still flying enhances that. I'm hoping my next Spitfire, which will be a MkIX, will be better still.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

shortspecialbus wrote:
Dogsbody55 wrote:

Happy flying

Cheers,
Mike
I have this kit! As well as a few others. My wife bought it to build for me, she just hasn't had time yet. If she finds the time, I'll try to remember to post the pictures. Nice job on this!

-stefan
If she wants some inspiration, do a search at the Large Scale Planes forums. Mine is under a Group Build forum, but there are plenty more in the Works In Progress forum.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Stunning Mike!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”