Is this real?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Is this real?

Post by bladerunner900 »

My daughter sent me these pictures from Cardiff a couple of days ago and said it didn't look right to her. "For A Mk I Spitfire, hasn't it got too many stacks and shouldn't the nose be shorter?" she asked me. That's my girl I thought. A proud moment for me I can tell you. I told her it was probably a mock-up, looks more like a Mk IX or later with the A wing to me. Here's the pictures.

Whats's the story guys and how do I save face if I'm wrong. :lol:

Steve.

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Re: Is this real?

Post by guillaume78150 »

Spitfire replica. Too many exhaust pipes for an Mk I but they looks fake, there is no armoured windshield, the propeller spinner is weird, obviously there is no engine behind… :wink:
Last edited by guillaume78150 on 20 May 2018, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

It's not a IX. There is no second radiator under the wing. It intake under the nose looks like from an VIII (too small to be a proper tropo one), but that also had a second radiator so can't be that. If I were to speculate, it's a mishmash of a nose off an VIII (with a three bladed prop, instead of four) attached to a I, II or V.

A proper Spitfire expert will be along in a minute to tell me that's all hogwash.

Mike
Last edited by Mickel on 20 May 2018, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

bladerunner900 wrote:My daughter sent me these pictures from Cardiff a couple of days ago and said it didn't look right to her. "For A Mk I Spitfire, hasn't it got too many stacks and shouldn't the nose be shorter?" she asked me. That's my girl I thought. A proud moment for me I can tell you. I told her it was probably a mock-up, looks more like a Mk IX or later with the A wing to me. Here's the pictures.

Whats's the story guys and how do I save face if I'm wrong. :lol:

Steve.
I think your right. The information board depicts a Mk1 I think but the static aircraft looks like a later version although I couldn’t say which.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Ha! Yes. I found that yesterday after a bit of a search. I think you guys are right. It's not a Mk I but was not sure about my replica theory.

Nice one guys! I will send that link to my daughter.

Steve.

:D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

It looks like Bruce's Mk IX replica to me, Steve.

Ah...beaten to the punch!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

This is EB-L, an original MkI, likely a "neighbour" of the original EB-K. One can clearly spot the differences, windshield, exhausts, no external rear view mirror, five spokes wheels rims.

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

Part of the RAF centenary tour, I stole this from the duxford diary thread here.....
https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthr ... 018/page19

“The IWM Spitfire replica 'X4474' was picked up by the RAF this morning to take part in the RAF100 Tour, starting in Cardiff on May 18th. Details at:
https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/news/r... ... t-tour/“

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

The very fist thing that struck me was, that if it was real those exhaust burns would not have been left there. They would have been washed off.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Seriously, you'd think that if you were going to make a full size replica of an early war Spitfire, you think that the builders would do some research and get the details right. As one who builds models of these things, this a terrible hodge podge that I wouldn't waste a digital photo on.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Dogsbody55 wrote:Seriously, you'd think that if you were going to make a full size replica of an early war Spitfire, you think that the builders would do some research and get the details right. As one who builds models of these things, this a terrible hodge podge that I wouldn't waste a digital photo on.

Cheers,
Mike
I don't suppose for a minute that it was aimed at 'aficionados', but more to the general public who wouldn't know a MkII from a hole in the ground. With that in mind it's a pretty good representation.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

My daughter went back today for a closer look. She had a chat with 'one of the air women who was milling around' (her words) who confirmed it was just for show and not real. She, the daughter, said there was another one there which she thinks was a Typhoon. Something with triangular wings and tail with a double engine. I don't know. :roll: I'm going to have to teach her to take better notes and more pictures. :lol:

Steve.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Ron Attwood wrote:
Dogsbody55 wrote:Seriously, you'd think that if you were going to make a full size replica of an early war Spitfire, you think that the builders would do some research and get the details right. As one who builds models of these things, this a terrible hodge podge that I wouldn't waste a digital photo on.

Cheers,
Mike
I don't suppose for a minute that it was aimed at 'aficionados', but more to the general public who wouldn't know a MkII from a hole in the ground. With that in mind it's a pretty good representation.

I did think of that, but there are enough 'aficionados' about, at least one in every crowd, that a small amount of extra research and no extra cost in building the model would be worth the tiny amount of extra effort to get it right. Especially in Britain.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

You worry too much. :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”