My FSX will no longer start after purchasing many add-ons.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
RolandBP
Airman

My FSX will no longer start after purchasing many add-ons.

Post by RolandBP »

I bought the FTX Global Base Pack, FTX Global Vector, FTX Global Trees HD
I also bought the NZ North Island, the NZ South Island, the NZMF Milford Sound Airport, the NZQN Queenstown Airport and the EU England
Freeware: FTX Global EU Airport pack, AI Traffic Australia and New Zealand, AYEO Emmo Mission, Holgermesh Papua New Guinea.

While I was on this new spending spree, I decided to get Active Sky 2016 and Active Sky Cloud Art and the A2A 1 x C172 Trainer.

I am still deciding on either the payware FS FlightControl, or the freeware Plan-G. I tried the FS FlightControl first so got fairly used to it, then tried Plan-G and became a little bit confused as to its merits over the payware version. Apart of course the fact that it was free.
So still undecided at this stage.

One further thing is for some reason FSX has now stopped loading - perhaps it became confused as to all the new add-ons?
No it was working fine while I was using the A2A J3 Piper Cub, flying around New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the southern portion of England.
Then when I went back to New Zealand I decided to swap the "Cub" for the A2A Piper Comanche, I had trouble flying it, so I closed the game down. But when I went to restart later after checking my Joystick settings, FSX would no longer start. :?
I have tried several fixes like un-installing several of my add-ons {both of the Active Sky programs and MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 - England and Wales Complete Country, which I tried originally before I bought the ORBX EU England pack. Anyway that did not help at all. :cry:

Hopefully I can find the answer as to why FSX will not start from scratch, although I found I can go into some of my saves and restart the game from there although it will not let me go and change an aircraft or a new place to fly from. :roll:

My system is as follows:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.50GHz 29 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 7 (SOCKET 0) 26 °C
Graphics
S24E450 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (Gigabyte) 28 °C
ForceWare version: 388.13
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (SATA) 44 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD) 23 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FZEX-00SRLA0 (SATA) 34 °C
232GB Seagate ST325082 3AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 45 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: My FSX will no longer start after purchasing many add-on

Post by MarcE »

RolandBP wrote:I bought the FTX Global Base Pack, FTX Global Vector, FTX Global Trees HD
I also bought the NZ North Island, the NZ South Island, the NZMF Milford Sound Airport, the NZQN Queenstown Airport and the EU England
Freeware: FTX Global EU Airport pack, AI Traffic Australia and New Zealand, AYEO Emmo Mission, Holgermesh Papua New Guinea.

While I was on this new spending spree, I decided to get Active Sky 2016 and Active Sky Cloud Art and the A2A 1 x C172 Trainer.

I am still deciding on either the payware FS FlightControl, or the freeware Plan-G. I tried the FS FlightControl first so got fairly used to it, then tried Plan-G and became a little bit confused as to its merits over the payware version. Apart of course the fact that it was free.
So still undecided at this stage.

One further thing is for some reason FSX has now stopped loading - perhaps it became confused as to all the new add-ons?
No it was working fine while I was using the A2A J3 Piper Cub, flying around New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the southern portion of England.
Then when I went back to New Zealand I decided to swap the "Cub" for the A2A Piper Comanche, I had trouble flying it, so I closed the game down. But when I went to restart later after checking my Joystick settings, FSX would no longer start. :?
I have tried several fixes like un-installing several of my add-ons {both of the Active Sky programs and MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 - England and Wales Complete Country, which I tried originally before I bought the ORBX EU England pack. Anyway that did not help at all. :cry:

Hopefully I can find the answer as to why FSX will not start from scratch, although I found I can go into some of my saves and restart the game from there although it will not let me go and change an aircraft or a new place to fly from. :roll:

My system is as follows:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.50GHz 29 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 7 (SOCKET 0) 26 °C
Graphics
S24E450 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (Gigabyte) 28 °C
ForceWare version: 388.13
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (SATA) 44 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD) 23 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FZEX-00SRLA0 (SATA) 34 °C
232GB Seagate ST325082 3AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 45 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Hi Roland,

the good news first: your hardware should be absolutely fine to run everything nicely.

second: reinstalling addons seldomly leads to success. Code normally doesn't change, some files could be messed up, but most of the time planless reinstallations only make it worse. And yes, some developers tend to recommend this... for their own laziness. ORBX normally doesn't, neither does A2A. actually also some kind of good news. :)

Well, regarding your description of your issue I assume you are relatively new to FSX. To be honest, I have left FSX long ago for P3D but I try to remember as much as I can.

What version of FSX do you use? If not the Steam Edition, have you updated it to SP2 or to the Acceleration pack (last includes SP2)?

Have you run the A2A updater after your installation of the Cessna? Keep in mind to run it everytime again as soon as you have installed another A2A airplane.
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=57819

Please check your FSX.cfg for this entry at least:
[Graphics]
Highmemfix=1

The FSX.cfg is hidden, so you need to show hidden files in your Win Explorer. Then you will find it under C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.
The entry is not there by default so if you haven't added it yet you must do that. Yes, must.

Make sure FSX uses the GTX980 (which should have the latest drivers)

Also, if you have a wide screen, check for this:
[display]
WideViewAspect=True

But that's just cosmetics.

Then, regarding the "FSX would not start": What exactly is it doing? Does it show any errors? Does it load and then crash to desktop? Does the Startup Screen load? What Airplane is turning in the Window? It must be a default airplane, not A2A and no other complecated addon. It's an FSX bug.

WHAT you can easily reinstall is Simconnect. This was the first Google outcome but there are many other: http://www.fspassengers.com/?action=simconnect

If those steps don't solve it, go to FTXCentral and under settings you will find a "force remigration". run it...

if it's still not working, come back for further help :D

Cheers,
Marc

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Uninstalling programs that you added may well have damaged the FSX , as they have to be uninstalled in the sim before you uninstall from pc , also why uninstall AS2016 , this runs outside of the sim and the FSX can either start with or without AS2016. did you have a saved flight or do you always start the sim in the default trike.
Saved flights can sometimes get corrupted and cause the sim not to fire up .
Also the FSX.cfg can sometimes get corrupted , you can delete the FSX.cfg and the sim would build another , but all your settings would have to be redone.
I have win7 64 home system so i dont know where you would find the FSX.cfg in win 10 , but going by what you have already deleted , before asking for help , i think it might be best to uninstall FSX and reinstall it , i dont have mine installed in the default programs (86) as it can cause problems , this is due to this area of the PC being over protective and anything installed in programes (86) needs to be installed and run as administrator , and any anti virus programes need to be set to ignor anything flight sim related.
regards alan. 8)

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

This may seem kinda of tedious but in the future I would recommend after you install a large scenery program that you start FSX and make sure all is well before continuing further installs of new software and I would do the same for A2A aircraft. If you have a issue you will know what install has likely caused the problem. alan CXA651 may be correct could be just a corrupted CFG which is easy to fix.

OGfishm0nger
Airman

Post by OGfishm0nger »

Since you mention that you shutdown mid-flight (if I am reading your post correctly) it could be a corrupted logfile. There is an FSX logbook recovery tool out there on AVSIM and other places (sorry I don't have a link handy) that I seem to remember helping me with similar-sounding issues.

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

MarcE wrote:

Hi Roland,

the good news first: your hardware should be absolutely fine to run everything nicely.

second: reinstalling addons seldomly leads to success. Code normally doesn't change, some files could be messed up, but most of the time planless reinstallations only make it worse. And yes, some developers tend to recommend this... for their own laziness. ORBX normally doesn't, neither does A2A. actually also some kind of good news. :)

Well, regarding your description of your issue I assume you are relatively new to FSX. To be honest, I have left FSX long ago for P3D but I try to remember as much as I can.

What version of FSX do you use? If not the Steam Edition, have you updated it to SP2 or to the Acceleration pack (last includes SP2)?

Have you run the A2A updater after your installation of the Cessna? Keep in mind to run it everytime again as soon as you have installed another A2A airplane.
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=57819

[Graphics]
Highmemfix=1

The FSX.cfg is hidden, so you need to show hidden files in your Win Explorer. Then you will find it under C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.
The entry is not there by default so if you haven't added it yet you must do that. Yes, must.

Make sure FSX uses the GTX980 (which should have the latest drivers)

[display]
WideViewAspect=True

But that's just cosmetics.

Then, regarding the "FSX would not start": What exactly is it doing? Does it show any errors? Does it load and then crash to desktop? Does the Startup Screen load? What Airplane is turning in the Window? It must be a default airplane, not A2A and no other complecated addon. It's an FSX bug.

WHAT you can easily reinstall is Simconnect. This was the first Google outcome but there are many other: http://www.fspassengers.com/?action=simconnect

If those steps don't solve it, go to FTXCentral and under settings you will find a "force remigration". run it...

if it's still not working, come back for further help :D

Cheers,
Marc
Hi Marc, I will reply to each of you comments/questions:
No I am not new to FSX My daughter bought the boxed version for me about 10 years ago and I used to run it on my 32bit XP computer, with no problems. I never had any scenery add-ons during that time, just quite a number of add-on extra aircraft. I mostly flew with my Logitech Wingman Force 3D Joystick until I bought a Saitek Pro-flight Yolk, throttle Quadrant and Rudder Pedals. Later I bought an HP 64bit Windows 7 machine and ran it on that. Two and a half years ago a friend built me this new system.

Oh yes I updated to SP2.

I have just run the A2A updater and it updated both my Cessna from 1 to 2.something and my Comanche.
Tried to start FSX but still would only get as far as the start of the "Sound" and crash {Faulty Sound file came to mind}

I ran the ORBX Vector Configuration and the Force Migration and downloaded and ran the 3 files from Simconnect. {Thanks for that link}

I checked the 2 items you mentioned for the FSX.cfg
[display]
WideViewAspect=True
Yes that is there.
[Graphics]
Highmemfix=1
No that is not there. Do I just type it in?

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi.
Uninstalling programs that you added may well have damaged the FSX , as they have to be uninstalled in the sim before you uninstall from pc , also why uninstall AS2016 , this runs outside of the sim and the FSX can either start with or without AS2016. did you have a saved flight or do you always start the sim in the default trike.
Saved flights can sometimes get corrupted and cause the sim not to fire up .
Also the FSX.cfg can sometimes get corrupted , you can delete the FSX.cfg and the sim would build another , but all your settings would have to be redone.
I have win7 64 home system so i dont know where you would find the FSX.cfg in win 10 , but going by what you have already deleted , before asking for help , i think it might be best to uninstall FSX and reinstall it , i dont have mine installed in the default programs (86) as it can cause problems , this is due to this area of the PC being over protective and anything installed in programes (86) needs to be installed and run as administrator , and any anti virus programes need to be set to ignor anything flight sim related.
regards alan. 8)
Hi Alan, Thanks for your reply.
With regard to uninstalling the programs, I actually did that after FSX had failed to load and it had been happily running, until I changed the J3 Cub to the Comanche and as I could not get it flying properly I closed the game down to check some Youtube footage to see how best to fly it.
Then then FSX would not load.
I have FSX installed on another Drive {1TB HDD} My operating system is a 231 GB SSD which is where all my saves are being put.
I will consider deleting the FSX.cfg if all else fails.
Actually I would like to know where is a safe site for downloading this file
UIAutomationcore.dll
I noticed during my search that there were some dubious sites.
Cheers, Roland.

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

dvm wrote:This may seem kinda of tedious but in the future I would recommend after you install a large scenery program that you start FSX and make sure all is well before continuing further installs of new software and I would do the same for A2A aircraft. If you have a issue you will know what install has likely caused the problem. alan CXA651 may be correct could be just a corrupted CFG which is easy to fix.
Hi, Thanks and yes some good suggestions - One step at a time, although I never had a problem with all the ORBX add-ons as I was flying my J3 for several hours. I did at one point think it may have been a problem after adding the two Active Sky products, then tried altering the cloud conditions. :?
Cheers, Roland

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

OGfishm0nger wrote:Since you mention that you shutdown mid-flight (if I am reading your post correctly) it could be a corrupted logfile. There is an FSX logbook recovery tool out there on AVSIM and other places (sorry I don't have a link handy) that I seem to remember helping me with similar-sounding issues.
Hi, Thanks for your reply, I installed and ran the program but it said it could not find any corruption.
Cheers, Roland.

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

Here are some screenshots from the FSX files:
Oh I am getting a message in RED that says:
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Cannot remember off hand where on this forum , but it sounds like you tried to post screen shots directly , you need something like dropbox or host web site to download the pics to then post a link to them here , just search this forum for instructions on posting screenshots , this is why you got that message.
As for deleteing the fsx.CFG the FSX itself generates a new one , no need to download from any website , but i dont know where on win 10 it resides , in my win 7 64 bit system , it resides in (:C)Users\Asus\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX , you could just rename the old fsx.CFG to say Bak.fsx.CFG , then try re running FSX , because it now cannot find its original fsx.CFG , it then generates a new one , in the same location as the old was , but all your sim settings will need to be redone , I.E. controls unless these are in FSUIPC in which case should remain as was , screen setting slidders ectra will need re-doing.
regards alan. 8)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

How much free space is left on your disk?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Oracle427.
I forgot about that, going by one of is replies the FSX is on a 1tb drive , but the problem i see , is the operating system drive is very small at 231gb .
regards alan. 8)

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

Hi,
I have 110GB free on my 231GB SSD Drive
I have 301GB free on my 931GB HHD Drive
The following is a quote from the AVSim Document:
UIAutomationcore.dll (FSX boxed users only) – For Windows 7 users, this module, placed in your main FSX directory, will sometimes fix FSX from freezing up after hitting the FSX menu and right clicking the menu repeatedly (20 or more hits). The Vista version of this module will stop FSX from freezing up when you hit the FSX menu or do a lot of right clicking inside of FSX several times during a flight session. Some AVSIM members have tried to replicate this crash by repeatedly hitting the FSX menu and have been unsuccessful so the validity of this fix is questionable as the crash cannot be duplicated. The UIAutomationcore.dll is part of the Microsoft.net package, released for various versions of Windows. AVSIM advises members as follows:
• For Windows 7 users only, this “fix” only fixes menu and right clicking crashes and will not prevent any other type of FSX crash.
• Use only if you have Windows 7, 64-bit installed. Not for 32-bit Windows OS systems.
• For Windows 8.1 and 10, 64-bit operating system users only and using the FSX boxed version, it is mandatory that you place the 16386 version (see below) in your main FSX folder or FSX (boxed) will most likely crash. This does not apply to FSX-SE users as a version was installed during installation.

If FSX (boxed version only) freezes up or crashes, place the following 32-bit UIAutomationcore.dll module into your main FSX folder:
Version: 6.05840.16386 (click to download from the Internet – you must have an Internet connection) - This 32-bit version was the Vista and pre-FSX SP1 version which seems to work the best for most of members. We recommend this version be installed. If you have FSX (boxed version) and Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 installed, this version must be installed in the main FSX folder (Reminder: FSX-SE has installed a uiautomationcore.dll version that works for that version of FSX so please do not install in FSX-SE).
HighMemFix=1HighMemFix=1. When Acceleration/SP2 was released in 2007, this line item was to be added to the Graphics Section of the FSX.cfg, but inadvertently left out. So, it is really not considered a tweak but a graphics fix and must be added to your FSX configurations or you might see texture anomalies, like missing textures on an aircraft or building. This fix was installed during the installation of FSX-SE.
I have copied this "HighMemFix=1HighMemFix=1" into the FSX.cfg Graphics section of the document.
Note the mention of ensuring the
32-bit UIAutomationcore.dll module into your main FSX folder:
Version: 6.05840.16386
is added, this is why I wanted to know where I can get this file from a secure site.

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

When we are talking about the FSX.cfg file to be altered, which of the following is it?
Name Type
fsx CFG file
FSX.cfg TEMP File
fsx.CFG Text Document

Confused, Roland.

I tried this one "Bak.fsx.CFG - Text Document" but that did not work so have changed it back.
Tried this one "Bak.FSX.cfg" - TEMP File" also did not work but it created a new TEMP File.
So finally tried this one "Bak.fsx - CFG file" and blow me down and the game now starts, although first it wanted to know if all the added clients were regarded as okay.
eg. Saitek, A2A, fsflightControl I think was another, I don't recall ORBX being mentioned.
yes it looks like I will now need to reconfigure a few things.

Thanks all for your help to get me back in the air. Long may I fly High. :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”