Around the world in the C182

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
fleurenf
Airman First Class

Around the world in the C182

Post by fleurenf »

Hi all,
Just wondering.

Is it possible to fly around the world in my trusty A2A C182T?

I sure would like to have a go if it is possible. Starting from the north of Australia.
Yours in flying,
Fred
Dell i7 1.8GHz; 8gb ram; AMD Graphics 2gb; Win10
Image Image Image

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Around the world in the C182

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I flew the A2A C172 around the world E to W N to S , on vatsim , every leg was recorded on twitch TV at the time , using ASN for real weather , every leg with wear and tare and repairs carried out is logged in the A2A C172 forum section , the videos have sadly long been deleted by TWITCHTV , as i only did ordinary saves , had i known i could have saved them to highlight , and they would still be there , the journey took about 3 months , and i had to wait at a russian airport for a couple of days , till the weather gave favourable winds , as it was just over a 700nm run over water , the extreem cold weather ment i could lean the engine more than normal , its sweet spot was 4000ft at 100knts in them conditions , i thought i was going to either land short or with fumes in the tanks , as it turned out i landed with 45 min res of fuel, you can check out my route , which was modified in a few places , when i found i had selected a mil airport instead of a civ airport.
The part you might find a stumbling block is from japan to russia to alusian isles as i think your C182 engine will use more fuel than the C172 , I WISH YOU LUCK.
regards alan. 8)

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I don't see why not. If you hit a wall, where you don't have the range and simply must keep going do what I did. Catch a commercial flight to your next desired stop and have your 182 ferried to you. :wink:

Extra: I give myself virtual drop tanks in my Spitfire sometimes. I adjust the weight to suit of course. Would sure be nice if I didn't have to. (Hint hint)

fleurenf
Airman First Class

Post by fleurenf »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi.
I flew the A2A C172 around the world E to W N to S , on vatsim , every leg was recorded on twitch TV at the time , using ASN for real weather , every leg with wear and tare and repairs carried out is logged in the A2A C172 forum section , the videos have sadly long been deleted by TWITCHTV , as i only did ordinary saves , had i known i could have saved them to highlight , and they would still be there , the journey took about 3 months , and i had to wait at a russian airport for a couple of days , till the weather gave favourable winds , as it was just over a 700nm run over water , the extreem cold weather ment i could lean the engine more than normal , its sweet spot was 4000ft at 100knts in them conditions , i thought i was going to either land short or with fumes in the tanks , as it turned out i landed with 45 min res of fuel, you can check out my route , which was modified in a few places , when i found i had selected a mil airport instead of a civ airport.
The part you might find a stumbling block is from japan to russia to alusian isles as i think your C182 engine will use more fuel than the C172 , I WISH YOU LUCK.
regards alan. 8)
Must have been a great journey. I to have ASN so will be an interesting journey to undertake.
Yours in flying,
Fred
Image Image Image

fleurenf
Airman First Class

Post by fleurenf »

Thanks all. I’m looking forward to the journey. My starting point will be Horn Island YHID. Currently I’m circumnavigating the Australian coastline and parked at Cooktown QLD.
Yours in flying,
Fred
Image Image Image

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

I saw lots of videos of ferry flights etc where they had extra fuel tanks inside the cabin that they could pump into the main tanks.

fleurenf
Airman First Class

Post by fleurenf »

Buffy Foster wrote:I saw lots of videos of ferry flights etc where they had extra fuel tanks inside the cabin that they could pump into the main tanks.
That would be great. I don’t think it’s simulated in this aircraft though.
Yours in flying,
Fred
Image Image Image

caleb1
Senior Airman

Post by caleb1 »

fleurenf wrote:
Buffy Foster wrote:I saw lots of videos of ferry flights etc where they had extra fuel tanks inside the cabin that they could pump into the main tanks.
That would be great. I don’t think it’s simulated in this aircraft though.
You can simulate it yourself. Find out how much total fuel is in your extra tanks. Lets say 45 gallons total. Multiply this by the number of pounds one gallon of avgas is (about 6 pounds). 270 total pounds of fuel in weight in your extra tanks. Divide this by 3 to find out how many pounds would be in each "seat" if the pilot seat is occupied by a person. 90 pounds per seat. Insert 90 pounds per seat for the 3 seats besides the pilot seat in the "shift+4" display. Now during your flight, as you run out of fuel in the wing tanks, you can add more fuel to the wing tanks in the "shift+4" display, subtracting 2 pounds from each seat per gallon you add to the wing tanks also by using the "shift+4" display. I'm sure it seems complicated, but it can be done. If A2A could add this feature by default it would be great, but until then, use the above procedure.

Caleb
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

This is the way how light airplanes are sometimes transferred for extended distances. Speaking generally, note, that depending on the airplane configuration, you may end up requiring additional transfer pumps for your cabin bladders, must power them by rogue connectors from the CBs at worst, must secure these wobbling balls of fuel in their places, must accept the constant sloshing of them, must depart well beyond your MTOW, must plan and arrange an approval for all this....

Not for faint-hearted.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”