VAS Managment-Stopping OOM's

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Raebo
Airman First Class

VAS Managment-Stopping OOM's

Post by Raebo »

Well we live and learn.
I fly the 377 exclusively, everyday on FSX Gold.
My add on's are REX Essential Plus HD, the latest ORBX scenery, Base, Global, Vector, North America, South America, Europe, pretty well everything they offer, that's it, you know the old KISS principle.

I noticed as I added ORBX scenery to my library, ticking the boxes off I started suffering OOM's, they were few and far apart at the begging but human nature kicks in and well we/I got greedy.
So what to do? I did more reading and research, started backing off my sliders ( I have a new, very powerful system) still getting OOM's in/near HD airports, Toronto Pearson. CYYZ is crazy bad.
I'm sure many of you know exactly what I'm talking about, we start compromising, defining priorities, asking ourselves why we put ourselves through these tail chasing the dog scenario's, countless hours of tweaking, Maybe I should go to P3D v4? but A2A has not done the 377 as of yet.

Long story short, I figured based on my FSUIPC VAS counter that I had some kind of VAS leak.
Turns out, after I unticked Vector completely in my scenery library, everything was not only great again but even better, I can now do 8 hour plus flights enjoying fantastic ORBX scenery, and Rex weather, no more saving and restarting, no more compromising.
My sliders are all for the most part set at 75%, except water, and traffic, I'm just now flying into Ketchikan over the mountains at FL220 and pulling 75FPS out the front windscreen, no more warning bells, no more sketchy stuttering approaces as I squeeze the last bit of VAS out of my computer.
The difference? turning off ORBX Vector completely made such a huge difference in VAS usage, but it did not seem to affect the overall quality of my ORBX scenery, I can't actually tell the difference.

I can't remember what I paid for Vector not much really, but I would have paid hundreds of dollars to some hot shot computer geek to have the fix I have now.
Everybody's milage will vary as every computer is different, I am just passing on my findings, If you have ORBX Vector turn it off completely, to see if it does for you what it did for me.
Cheer's
Nvidia GTX - 980Ti Titan.

Seidon 240M liquid CPU cooler.

Intel i7-4770K, Asus Z87-pro.

Samsung- 840 EVO Sata III TLC SSD.

Trident X series 32GB (4x8)

Kingwin 1000- watt 80+ Bronze Power supply.

Asus - PB278 2560x1440 HDMI Monitor.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: VAS Managment-Stopping OOM's

Post by MarcE »

To be save from OOMs (as long as you have more hardware RAM than 4GB) you will have to move to P3dv4.

But: you are talking about FlyTampa airports. They are known to require a LOT of memory, mostly due to their high definition textures. You can save a lot of memory if you go down to 1024 or 512p. with 1024 you will most likely not even see a that big difference in FSX. Same for vector, it almost guarantees OOMs. I can't tell about the 377 but when it was designed people haven't cared about OOMS that much yet as development of high quality scenery addons was quite "young". Compared to today's sceneries at least. So I wouldn't expect a high degree of VAS management in the 377, I might be wrong though.

But I also ran into OOMs with the Connie when I approached West Coast ORBX airports.. And I was more or less unable to use big FlyTampa airports like Amsterdam, Sydney, Copenhagen... And yes, Toronto with P3Dv3.

Raebo
Airman First Class

Post by Raebo »

But: you are talking about FlyTampa airports.
Actually no I was not, I dont own any of their products, and I fly only in 1024.

The A2A 377 has never been a VAS problem IMO, as I said this is a ORBX Vector problem, it leaks VAS, big time. the developers must know this.
I'm simply trying to help those who have Vector and are having VAS problems in FSX.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Raebo, by "turn it off" do you mean de-select everything from the menu pages? Or do you mean uninstall the whole thing.

For myself, I can no longer fly anywhere in SoCal without mind jarring stutters in A2A, or complete crashes with other complex aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

How does uncheking vector effect frame rates?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Jacques wrote:Raebo, by "turn it off" do you mean de-select everything from the menu pages? Or do you mean uninstall the whole thing.

For myself, I can no longer fly anywhere in SoCal without mind jarring stutters in A2A, or complete crashes with other complex aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I see the same problem with the OrbX Southern California scenery. Seems like every few miles when
I look around I get several second stutters. I have no doubts that there are serious problems
with that scenery and as a result I disable it in the scenery library.

Paul

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

The biggest culprit in vector is the road system. Did you try turning off the tertiary and secondary roads before deciding it was all bad and needed to go? You don't need them on flying the mighty Strat anyway. Doing that more or less sorted my OOM issues, beyond the usual suspects of fancy airports and fancy planes at the same time. A common route I'd fly is Frankfurt to London (with a full region at the London end), and not have OOMs. I've even got the tertiary roads off in V4.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Raebo
Airman First Class

Post by Raebo »

I simply de-select, untick the Vector boxes in my FSX scenery Library, all of them, don't forget the one at the vey bottom of the page, this one deals with airport elevations.
The scenery in Base, and Global is so good, you wont miss Vector.
I fly at Fl 220/230 but remember we high flyers see a great deal of scenery on our accents and descents,
If you fly low and slow and are looking for trains and tunnels one might notice some things missing.
Most OOM's are during long flights, most smaller GA aircraft dont fly the long haul routes that the commercial piston, jet aircraft do, so they would logically experence fewer if any OOM's when flying while using high end powerful computers.

My frame rates went up on average 15 to 25 FPS, I fly unlimited frame rates so the FPS will always fluctuate back and forth 10 to 15 FPS anyway.

The very best part of this tweak other than not loosing our flights is that you will notice that with all that extra VAS you have after a 7 hour flight that your final approach, landing and your taxi to the gate will be a smooth as silk, the low VAS chattering and stuttering on approaches nearly drove me crazy.

My advice from my experience is that you must have ( ORBX Base, and Global), then you pick ORBX North America, Europe, South America, and Oceania.
You simply dont need Vector IMO.

As for the regions like Pacific Northwest, or Northern California they eat a ton of VAS, I have them all but I try not to use them ( Live and learn ), your money would be better spent ( If you fly high and fast) on buying specific airports that you want to fly into like San Diago, or Palm Springs, these individual pay-ware airports by ORBX have so much detail, but surprisingly will hardly affect your FPS, go figure?
And don't forget ORBX free airports, there are over 350 of them and they are all optically jaw dropping as are all of the very high detail pay-ware airports offered by ORBX, both dont seem to affect FPS, or VAS.
To sum up ORBX Vector and ORBX regions are VAS hogs big time.

ORBX products are truly exceptional IMO, I can't say enough about how their scenery world wide has taken this hobby to a whole new level of enjoyment for me.
Turning off ORBX Vector however has made my sim experence so much better in every respect.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I went into the scenery library and unchecked all the scenery with vector in it's name. I got a considerable frame rate boost. From the low 20's to around 30 where I have frame rates locked. This was flying the Comanche at 8500 feet in costal Oregon. I could not see any difference in the scenery but want to do more flying before making a permanent change.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

CmdrSharp
Airman

Post by CmdrSharp »

I find Vector to be an important part, but it is definitely heavier than just the base sceneries. Vector adds a lot for me when flying through hilly terrain, especially.
For anyone still on FSX though, I'd probably turn it off. I remember having to mess with it quite a bit for P3Dv3 - but haven't had to touch it since moving to P3Dv4.

gnocgnoc
Airman First Class

Post by gnocgnoc »

Hi,

As Mickel said above the road system is an issue but I think the problem is not the roads themselves but the road traffic. Personally, instead of turning tertiary or secondary roads off I just moved the road traffic slider to the left ( in FSX ). It really improves it.
Marc

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I would up adding all the vector items back in by rechecking them in the scenery library, but I turned off secondary and terteriary roads and still get almost as much frame rate boost as leaving vector off completely.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”