Froogle and FSW

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Froogle and FSW

Post by AKar »

MarcE wrote:Why should they... they haven‘t cared for years about all those youtube-guys competing for the top 10 of „who makes te best NGX tutorial“ using the academical license.
I don't know, perhaps they might reserve that to the day they basically own the market, should XP11 not gain momentum. But generally speaking, I find either platform's licensing system or misuse of the license unsustainable in the long run.
MarcE wrote:How should they even enforce it? Checking the school attendance of every owner of the academical license?
This is the way it is usually done in professional software, yes. How it is done varies.
MarcE wrote:And if DTG tried to sue them they would probably roll their eyes at best...
A thought of having a third party suing them for not enforcing their own intellectual rights seems quite idiotic to me, I don't think this ever was an issue.
MarcE wrote:And if they ditched the aca license we‘d have to pay 200$ every two or three years (if we want to be up to date)... wayne... honest people to that anyway.
Well, I have done that, while being highly critical of the lack of proper update path with main releases. Kind of foolish by me, financially supporting a platform I find little nice things to speak of while legitimately torrenting DCS major updates for free, the latter doing everything better but being FSX. :mrgreen:

-Esa

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

MarcE wrote:And if they ditched the aca license we‘d have to pay 200$ every two or three years (if we want to be up to date)... wayne... honest people to that anyway.
Some of us *are* students and *are* honest. ಠ_ಠ

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Stafford Brown wrote:I found this review on steam of "The Last Frontier" mission pack. This part resonated with me strongly when I watched some videos of the Missions Packs. I think the Epic Approaches mission packs it was Stephen Hood and Aimee themselves doing the voices? I recognized the voices and thought oh my gosh things must not be going right if they can't even get a voice actor for just 1 day to assist.
Well, maybe they chose to use in-house voices simply because that's what they wanted it to be? Several of the packs were voiced by the people who created them because they wanted to voice their own stuff. They also wanted to minimize the actual costs because in the case of Aimee's packs - the profits from them went to charity. But I guess the person doing the "review" missed that part of the description.

Then again, I guess FS2Crew and A2A must be in big financial trouble since neither of them use "Professional Voice Actors" to do their work either.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

This is the way it is usually done in professional software, yes. How it is done varies.
they have sold the licenses to the whole world, not only to one country..

I just don't think it's realistic that LM will change anything except some phrases in their licenses maybe. More likely (in MY opinion) is a new simulator by the group of developers mentioned above. Robert Randazzo, Scott, Mathijs Kok, Lefteris Kalamaras... Those guys have the knowledge about aviation, about flight sim and about what they urgently need for their products to improve. They could achieve so much and solve a lot informally, it would just be ridiculous for Microsoft to play the bitchy nanny now. I personally have known DTG for their Train Sim addons/DLCs and all I thought when I heard they would start a new sim was, that's the end of high quality development. But that was in the beginning, I have actually never cared about them later on. I was happy that LM had the pro license and that my favourite developers like A2A and PMDG were releasing their products there. And tbh there wasn't much that would have caught my attention. Froogle released his video in which he flew one of those missions with the Archer I think... It was hilarious, but not even worth a thought to me. "red and white Archer to land blabla"... outch. It was so obvious that none of them had a clue about aviation and to all appearances they weren't interested in it at all. In extreme contrary to Scott, Robert and so on. But this was the same with the Microsoft versions of missions.

For now we have got just what we did before... two sims (DCS not included). But now we have a lot stuff to fly on. Flight sim has matured that much, completely independently from FSW.
Last edited by MarcE on 08 May 2018, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Buffy Foster wrote:

Those are not meant of course :P I should have written "honest people purchase the correct license anyway" =)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

MarcE wrote:they have sold the licenses to the whole world, not only to one country..
Like have most developers creating professional software. :)
MarcE wrote:More likely (in MY opinion) is a new simulator by the group of developers mentioned above. Robert Randazzo, Scott, Mathijs Kok, Lefteris Kalamaras... Those guys have the knowledge about aviation, about flight sim and about what they urgently need for their products to improve.
Nah, having such a takeover of the FSX entertainment licensing would be interesting surely, but given how little the developer community actually skates on the same ramp, it would be a shake and bake solution to me, an opportunist takeover by maybe one or few players driving those not participating the conspiracy but already abandoning the FSX as of now further under the LM wings.

-Esa

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

CAPFlyer wrote: Then again, I guess FS2Crew and A2A must be in big financial trouble since neither of them use "Professional Voice Actors" to do their work either.
Hey now! I thought the copilot of the B-17 was quite good.
ImageImage
ImageImage

caleb1
Senior Airman

Post by caleb1 »

Buffy Foster wrote:
This is true.

May I also ask the time in the video where Froogle talks about the Academic Licences of P3D? I would like to watch that part without needing to watch the whole video.
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

Stafford Brown
Airman

Post by Stafford Brown »

CAPFlyer wrote:They also wanted to minimize the actual costs because in the case of Aimee's packs - the profits from them went to charity. But I guess the person doing the "review" missed that part of the description.

Then again, I guess FS2Crew and A2A must be in big financial trouble since neither of them use "Professional Voice Actors" to do their work either.
CAPFlyer I respect your position on these matters. I purchased Flight Sim World for $8 this weekend as a way of saying thanks for trying and at least I can own it.

I'll have to fly it some more and try tweaking it some more. At the moment, I don't have much to say about in a positive light so I'll just leave it be.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

CodyValkyrie wrote:
CAPFlyer wrote: Then again, I guess FS2Crew and A2A must be in big financial trouble since neither of them use "Professional Voice Actors" to do their work either.
Hey now! I thought the copilot of the B-17 was quite good.
You must be the guy always telling me the boys in the back are cold!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”