Froogle and FSW

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
clarkejw
Senior Airman

Froogle and FSW

Post by clarkejw »

The latest Frooglesim News on You Tube is entirely composed of an editorial devoted to the demise of FSW, and his opinion of Dovetail Games.

He doesn't hold back in his opinions, and, as well, makes some interesting hypotheses about what DTG moight do to recoup its losses, including going after LM and ACADEMIC LICENSES for P3D! He stresses that it's purely conjecture, but those with Academic Licenses might like to have a look at the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ujKNoCVvVM

He also says some very nice things about A2A!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Froogle and FSW

Post by Killratio »

I would suggest that if DTG want to pursue LM over academic licences the best bet would be for them to watch late night television, or hang around ambulance entrances at hospitals, to recruit a legal team. THAT way, when the four floors of LM lawyers (who have already, no doubt, spent many thousands of hours making sure that LM was, at the very worst, EXACTLY on the edge of the legal agreements and licences), get the action over and done with in the blink of an eye, it will not cost DTG anything and THEIR lawyers will not suffer any significant damage to their (non existent) reputations.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

Well yes, there is that.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

:D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Just finsihed watching Froogle, thanks for the link....he definitley should have told us what he really thouight.. holding back like that can't be good for his health :) :) :) :) :) :)

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

That's what I thought. Sometimes you can be too restrained!! :shock:

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I doubt that DTG will part with the money necessary to challenge LM in court about what I would characterise as a deliberately vague delineation between professional and academic licenses. Instead I think they will concentrate on monetising something new, like "Everest Expedition 2019" or "Deadliest Catch -Norway" or the adrenaline infused "Miami Uber Driver".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

Now, "Miami Uber Driver" shows promise!

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Could Dovetail sue Lockheed Martin for not enforcing the Academic license terms and conditions ? I must say it's something that hadn't occurred to me.

So, for the first time, a Froogle youtube tells me something I didn't already know. It's been quite a week, one way and another.

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

:mrgreen:

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

Drone strike on DTG HQ in 3...2... :D

Doofer911
Airman Basic

Post by Doofer911 »

I don't think so... if it's financial matters which contributed to the decision to stop FSW.... would Dovetail chance it against LM? They would need to have an absolutely bulletproof case against LM because if it doesn't work out... with the "failure" of FSW and cost of legal action, would probably send Dovetail under.

Also, LM's legal team probably has more people than the total staff at Dovetail and they have decades of experience drawing up legal arrangements worth unfathomable amounts of money with Governments and private firms around the world.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Doofer911/
My Hangar = C172, C182, Comanche 250 + Constellation

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Dovetail will just move on. They knew the job was dangerous when they took it. As I said in a earlier post I doubt that LM is going to go to the time and expense of requiring documentation before they sell you the software. If you already own the software what are they going to do, serve a search warrant on you residence and take you PC ? :D If anything comes of any of this speculation LM will just eliminate the academic license would be the common sense move. $$$ talks and speculation walks. One last thought if the academic license promotes aviation to newbies it is in their interest since they are in the business of selling aviation products in many forms.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

So Froogle doesn't like DTG. That's earth-shattering. I did buy FSW, and made a few comments/suggestions on the FSW forum as they said that was what they wanted. No response. Nada. Zip. SFA. Then I saw the sim for sale in a local games shop. WHAAAAT???? It's still in beta, thinks I. I tried to be neutral regarding all the negative comments about DTG, and you may find some of my comments on this very forum. If anyone ever does comment on them, please note that I retract them unreservedly. I will be uncluttering my hard drive of this product, fifthwith!!

It seems to me that if DTG were to try to take on LM, they may well be throwing good money after bad. Others have said above that they would need to have a water tight case to take on LM, and I'd like to add they would need to ensure that there would be no blow back on them. This latter they cannot do, as to be selling new content only 2 days before you can the project is unconscionable behaviour, and borderline criminal. In this country, companies have been successfully prosecuted for such practice, and rightly so too. Furthermore, I'd suggest that if they were to try to take on LM and actually succeed, then the public/buyer backlash could be more than they could withstand. They would also just be feeding Xplane sales in a fit of pique brought about by their apparent lack of knowledge about the market they were trying to enter into. And that's just bad management.

Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and move on. Let's all hope they do that.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

My biggest worry with the failure of the FSW is what now happens to the intellectual property of the venerable MSFS lineup. I hope something good flies up from the ashes.

I find little reason to be afraid of FSW challenging the LM on their enforcing of the licensing, there is no much sense in that. I guess it is up to LM to enforce their rights or choose not to. The specific scenario I'm more worried about is related to LM starting to enforce that from their own standpoint, particularly if should they be in almost dominant position on the flight sim where it concerns civil aviation.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”