Considering P3d v4 Conversion

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
rhenson529
Senior Airman

Considering P3d v4 Conversion

Post by rhenson529 »

Hello All,

I know this has been discussed several times but I am considering moving over to P3D v4.2. I know that it's just a matter of time before development ceases for FSX since it's on a 32bit platform. I would like to ask the group if anyone thinks I will notice any gain or if I should wait until I replace my system next year.

Here is my system hardware currently:
-i7 4790 3.6ghz (4.0ghz peak)
-GTX 970
-16GB 2600mhz
-240GB SSD
-1TB HD
-Satiek Cessna Yoke, pedals, TPM, Trim Wheel, Radio, Switch Panel, auto Pilot, and twin throttle quadrent

Current Software:
-Windows 10pro
-ActiveSky 16
-Spad vNext
-REX4 Texture w/Soft Clouds
-FSUICP 4.7 (registered)
-Lots of A2A planes
-Lots of Orbx scenry
-DX10 Fixer (I know won't work with P3D)

Couple of questions...
1. Should I see any performance improvements?
2. Will it improve stability?
3. Does anyone forsee any challanges?

I'm planning on doing a clean install and removing all FSX SE and add-ons prior to installing P3D. Any advice and feedback is greatly apprciated.

Thanks you,
Ron
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Considering P3d v4 Conversion

Post by Paughco »

I have P3Dv4.2, all the nearby ORBX scenery, Active Sky for P3Dv4, and I am very happy with my flight sim experience. Just got done flying my Comanche from KSAN to L70 via a dog leg course. Didn't even remember to save my flight with my trusty "Before impending DOOM" flight (I started doing this every 15 minutes or so with FSX and later with P3Dv3, particularly in the Connie). Just flew along and enjoyed the scenery.

The downside is you'll have to completely repurchase all your FSX-specific A2A aircraft. The A2A warbirds haven't been released for P3D yet, but some have had varying degrees of success in "adapting" the legacy aircraft into P3Dv4 (I've gotten my P-40 to work :D , but not my J-3 :cry: ). YMMV.

I have never regretted going to P3D, especially since they came out with P3Dv4.n. It's an individual decision.

Seeya
ATB

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Greetings.

Three potential problems I can see with your software list.

ActiveSky16 does not work with v4. I had a free upgrade to AS for P3Dv4 but am not sure if it is still on offer as a free upgrade.

REX4 Texture Direct w/soft clouds won't recognise P3D v4. Again, you will need the 'Enhanced' version, which was free for me.

FSUICP 4.7 does not work with P3D v4. You will need FSUICP v5 which will have to be bought again.

As for better performance, for me yes. It uses DirectX 11 and is 64 bit so OOM's are a thing of the past. So far. :wink:

Steve.

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Post by rhenson529 »

Thank you for your comments and feedback. I am aware that I will need to upgrade FUIUPC to v5 and ActiveSky16. I've factored those costs along with all the A2A planes. Looks like I might start upgrading tomorrow. :lol:
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Rig sounds good you wont be running full settings but it'll fly along at medium just fine.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I have a Great running FSX boxed setup DX10 and just added a third 250GB SSD that is dedicated to P3DV4. I would suggest this route as you can ease into P3DV4 if you have a good running FSX. My system is similar to yours and runs P3D just fine. One thing nice is that you can install all your ORBX scenery without additional cost. Getting P3D up to my FSX level is a long process as it took me years to get my FSX where it is today. Most of the A2A aircraft will not work with p3d for now and will be a big expense to buy the P3D versions when they become available. Adding a dedicated P3D drive and the P3D software will only cost about $125. (250GB ssd), That is less than buying two A2A aircraft for P3D. I am happy so far and I am slowly getting my P3D install up to my FSX standard $$$. If you like I will post my P3D settings for you and they are are higher than you might expect with my system. My P3D exorcise has renewed my interest in flt simming as I enjoy tweaking and solving problems almost as much as I do flying. I currently am customizing my scenery for the airports in my local area in my P3D install (ADE V1.75 works with P3d).

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

Background: I've had multiple copies of FSX and FSX Deluxe from the day the boxes hit Walmart shelves :lol:

P3Dv4 does greatly leverage more system hardware resources, such as actually using the systems GPU much more than FSX does.

I had actually purchased and refunded other P3D versions (P3Dv3), as it didn't make that much sense to me to upgrade to a sim that had fixed basically V.C. shadows and DX10.

P3Dv4 changed all that with the new 64x system being able to utilize more system hardware resources such as more ram and GPU power.

They have changed a lot of stuff but if you look hard enough you can still find those FSX settings buried deep, if you need them.

In my opinion it was finally the worthy upgrade from FSX as it actually overhauled some major code and improved greatly upon FSX for the price.

My specs are:
I5-4670K - Very similar to your 4790 architecture
GTX 1070
16GB Ram @ 1333 I think
240GB SSD for OS. 240GB SSD Just for P3Dv4
------
Windows 7
Active Sky for P3Dv4
Lots of A2A planes
TrackIR
Orbix FTX Global Base, Trees {If you update, be sure to turn off sim-flow objects or something named similar as it bricked my FPS with major stutters}
-------------
Right now with all that said we have fairly similar setups subtract a few addons that could hamper performance potentially.
I am getting a solid 60FPS locked. Of course this will depend on your scenery settings and where you fly. If you fly in large cities like Dallas, LA, Cali, forget 60FPS unless you turn scenery way down. I fly out in the boonies of Arkansas, so 60FPS with good scenery settings is achievable, even going into large places like Memphis, which is still surprising me on such an old base platform (Z97 board with a 4xxx Series processor)

However, it does take a while to adjust especially if you used FSX for 10+ years like myself. After 6 months I can finally say I am comfortable with P3D's quirks, I can identify if something else in the addon's list is causing FPS stutters. I am also finally comfortable understanding the graphics engine. Such as enabling Dynamic lighting with the highest AA setting will cause extreme FPS dips when using the landing lights on the ground. Similar things like this.

Bottom line - You probably won't be seeing any real major FPS increases, when trying to use identical FSX settings. In fact because of the new graphics engine(DX 9 in FSX VS DX 11 / 12 in P3Dv4), ULTRA in P3D is WAY more than ULTRA in FSX, so trying to replicate FSX settings doesn't work exactly perfect. I used FSX settings as a base and then worked around from there to achieve desired FPS and scenery levels. It takes a lot of patients, lots of testing, and lots of menu back and forth - As did FSX too, but many / most people just set scenery max-ish - wow it looks great! - and fly at 15 FPS. - It's whatever floats your boat! Me however, I can't stand anything under 55FPS especially with trackIR. I believe this stems from my extensive First Person Shooter background that I have since given up. Back in the day it was everything we could to do achieve 200+FPS to gain the edge.

However, if you use highly scenery intense airports, with billions of addons, you will notice (hopefully) less Crash - to - Desktops from an Out of memory error, as more 'stuff' can be loaded into memory (RAM) 2GB in FSX around 8GB in P3Dv4 as system resources will likely try and reserve 4+ gigs for the OS.

Hope it helps!
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”