The secret airplane in development

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: The secret airplane in development

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Medtner wrote: Supermarine Walrus?

Would that be of the same origin as the Supermarine Sperm Whale, from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy"?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Logical progression on this would be a T-34 Mentor. I am surprised that this has not been the go to idea here. It's a warbird that is essentially a smashed flat Bonanza with a straight tail, and lots of places in the US have dog fighting experiences that use the T-34, and 90kias at 18,000ft to make the aircraft ready for maneuvers before going to combat speed doesn't seem like a big leap to me.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Or a T-28. How close to what has already been acccusimed are the engines in the T-34 or the T-28?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

b3a
Airman First Class

Post by b3a »

ImpendingJoker wrote:Logical progression on this would be a T-34 Mentor. I am surprised that this has not been the go to idea here. It's a warbird that is essentially a smashed flat Bonanza with a straight tail, and lots of places in the US have dog fighting experiences that use the T-34, and 90kias at 18,000ft to make the aircraft ready for maneuvers before going to combat speed doesn't seem like a big leap to me.
T-34C that would go with the "new engine" theme. Have a PT-6 on it. Also has pressure demand o2 to give it the sound of that mask. that being said im not sure if any t-34c's are in civilian hands yet.

Edit: Quick google search appears that a few T-34C's are in civilian hands. That time that we estimate the climb performance would make a lot more sense with the C model as im not sure the A or B would climb that well with the piston engine. Just my 2 cents.

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

Aerostar.

b3a
Airman First Class

Post by b3a »

clarkejw wrote:Aerostar.
Wouldn't have pressure demand oxygen

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

A T-34C is a very good possibility, I could see an Air Combat outfit contracting A2A for a study sim T-34C. If you ran an Air Combat outfit that takes up customers with little or no flight experience, an A2A designed training sim would be an excellent tool to have around.

If this is true, it would make sense for all the secrecy, and lack of communication. Researching and modelling a PT-6 to A2A's standards would take quite a bit of R&D time/manpower. This would set them up very nicely for future projects.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

b3a
Airman First Class

Post by b3a »

pilottj wrote:A T-34C is a very good possibility, I could see an Air Combat outfit contracting A2A for a study sim T-34C. If you ran an Air Combat outfit that takes up customers with little or no flight experience, an A2A designed training sim would be an excellent tool to have around.

If this is true, it would make sense for all the secrecy, and lack of communication. Researching and modelling a PT-6 to A2A's standards would take quite a bit of R&D time/manpower. This would set them up very nicely for future projects.

Cheers
TJ
Air Combat uses T-34C's?

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

A turboprop trainer T-34C, PC-7, Tucano...et al seem to be the only types that fit what is given so far. Whether the contract is for a private or govt training outfit, who knows, but it seems to make sense.

Didn't A2A have a hand in some jet trainers sim a few years ago?

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

Medtner wrote:Now, given the new update, we have some answers (the Bonanza), but also some teasing questions.

Here's what I gleaned from the video on the secret project:

1. "New Accusim Engine".
- Could this be the jet/super-sonic physics that A2A has been researching for years?

2. Oxygen.
- The sound of masks gives some indications.
- "Settle at 18 thousand"

3. Jet-trainer?
- "You've got the aircraft" - instructor, not a give-away, but an indication.
- "Set power and trim for 90 knots" - at 18k. this could be a trainer. T-33?

Sounds like the dawn of a new age to me! :-D
I am sorry to chime in here so late, but:

SKYVAN CAN DO!

even though I highly doubt that it is the secret airplane.
Pros: Twin, Turbine, complex, cheap, cool
Cons: Ugly
Public service announcement: You put an aircraft in a hangar, not a hanger.

mylee2
Senior Airman

Post by mylee2 »

A T-34 Mentor would be excellent....I logged 12 hours in one at Turner AFB, Georgia. :lol:

Dick
[urlhttps://imgur.com/df5Prt7=http://a2asimulations.com]Image[/url]

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

MaxZ wrote: I am sorry to chime in here so late, but:

SKYVAN CAN DO!

even though I highly doubt that it is the secret airplane.
Pros: Twin, Turbine, complex, cheap, cool
Cons: Ugly
I would maybe say unique instead of cool but definitely ugly yes :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

As they say about helis,they don't fly they're just so ugly the earth repels them lol.

LouP

b3a
Airman First Class

Post by b3a »

LouP wrote:As they say about helis,they don't fly they're just so ugly the earth repels them lol.

LouP
Ugly gets the job done, Like the Cessna Caravan.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

b3a wrote:Ugly gets the job done, Like the Cessna Caravan.
Well, yes and no. Knowing both types in slight depth, Caravan is rather simple, modestly rugged airplane with rather good product support and support systems. Skyvan is of unnecessarily difficult design, relatively fragile construction and lacks of factory support. The Skyvan is an interesting airplane, and in its own way a rather cool type, but it has its other problems outside the looks which probably prevented it of ever being of any significance as a mainstream type.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”