Should I get Track Ir

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Should I get Track Ir

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

So I'm thinking of getting track ir and wanted to ask if it is comfortable and helpful as I have used face track noir which put me off as my camera was all over the place and can track ir be annoying also would the pro tracker thing be better with a headset?
AKA "Memey"

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Re: Should I get Track Ir

Post by Alfredson007 »

HE11DUDE04 wrote:So I'm thinking of getting track ir and wanted to ask if it is comfortable and helpful as I have used face track noir which put me off as my camera was all over the place and can track ir be annoying also would the pro tracker thing be better with a headset?
Imo trackir is comfortable to use only if you have very stable fps and no stutering at all. Also i want the center view to be so that i can see major gauges without moving head. None of these apply to my fsx and a2a planes.

In DCS and aerofly fs2 i use trackir almost always and love it.

Just my two eurocents.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Been wanting to ask the same question, He11dude. I'd like to tack on a couple of extra questions to this as well. Any impact on frame rates at all? And I've read of folks having to sync FPS with the monitor's refresh rate to eliminate tearing/stutters. Any truth to that one? I'm locked at 40, no way to get to 60, and I refuse to fly at 30. Thanks.

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

I don't have the best fps can be low at times but I'm hoping too get more ram which might fix it and of course track ir works with other games so I will do more research into it I would use it in il2 clod and bos
AKA "Memey"

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hi,

Myself use the TrackIR for years, can and will not fly without it. Tip: map the (re) center and freeze command to 2 joystick/joke buttons, works create inflight.

Use a cap with the "TrackClip", found this better then the bulky "TrackClip Pro". This is personal preference of course.

Marcel

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

mgr wrote:Hi,

Myself use the TrackIR for years, can and will not fly without it. Tip: map the (re) center and freeze command to 2 joystick/joke buttons, works create inflight.

Use a cap with the "TrackClip", found this better then the bulky "TrackClip Pro". This is personal preference of course.

Marcel
ok does the track clip work with headsets aswell?
AKA "Memey"

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

I love my Track-IR and I use the pro clip instead of the hat clip; I think it's more reliable. You can center the view wherever you want, so you can have your main instruments included. And yeah, map a button to 'Pause' so you can look around your real desk or have a bite of sammich without moving your view. :)

And if you dont want to wear a headset but still use the pro clip, you can use a hair band like these:

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hi,
HE11DUDE04 wrote: ok does the track clip work with headsets aswell?
Yes it does, could be a funny feeling in your hair, because the 2 "little feet" at the end will go under you headset-band.

Marcel

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

I have been using TrackIR for the last 8 years and while it is not perfect the pros certainly outweigh the cons for me. Have just ordered a replacement for mine that died recently - have not flown because of not having it.

Cons...
Can be sensitive to other light sources - my monitor faces the window so I pretty much have the curtains closed all the time.
I find it can need recentering quite frequently in use, I think this is more to do with me moving than the TIR. I have the recentring mapped to a joystick button as suggested above so it’s really not much of an issue.
At the extremes of head movement it can get slightly jittery where the camera not longer has a good line of sight to the pro clip.

Pros
Immersion, immersion, immersion - once you’ve got it set-up to your personal preferences and become coordinated with it in use it does feel very natural to be turning your head.
You soon find you turn your head accurately and start naturally pinpointing your view point which really comes into its own whilst in the circuit to land. Flying without TIR once you have used it for a while is quite frankly horrible, the straight ahead view or use of a hat switch really kills the experience.

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

On a slight tangent but related, I would add that if VR headsets were a little more affordable and/or were a generation or so down the road that would definitely be the way forward for simulation software/games.
My experience of VR headsets is very limited, so I am certainly no authority on the topic!
Certainly looking forward to the progress in VR headsets in the coming years. 8)

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Blitzer wrote:On a slight tangent but related, I would add that if VR headsets were a little more affordable and/or were a generation or so down the road that would definitely be the way forward for simulation software/games.
My experience of VR headsets is very limited, so I am certainly no authority on the topic!
Certainly looking forward to the progress in VR headsets in the coming years. 8)
I own the vive but prefer to use my monitor as it can be uncomfortable if i'm in vr for a while
AKA "Memey"

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Regular TrackIR user here, couldn't imagine flying without it.

I can't manage with the TrackClip - a personal thing, I've got too much light contamination for it to be workable. I tried the TrackClip Pro but found it extremely fragile - kept breaking them and had to order replacements once or twice a year. Finally settled on the Track Clip from TrackHat - much sturdier. I use a headset routinely, so mounting the clip isn't a problem. Recommend you give TrackHat a good look. Hope this helps.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I started using TrackIR in IL2 years back, maybe 2006 or 2007. The ability to keep the enemy in your view during twists and turns is a must and a real advantage against those without it. Moving into FSX I find the immersion to be indispensable. I will not fly without it. It is the best FS investment I ever made.

As mentioned above:
It will need centering often so have a joy button set.
You will want to pause so have a joy button set.
The camera is sensitive to sunlight, refrigerator light, fire place or candles, etc. The TrackClip Pro is the answer if you have any of these issues.
The TrackClip Pro is EXTREMELY fragile!!!!!!! Most of us that have been using this have electricians tape holding it together :x If I buy another I will tape it up before even the first flight just to protect it.
The camera base is very fragile. My camera is a v4 and I have a bread wire tie wrapped around the swivel point to keep it steady and aligned.

Also some personal recommendations.
Don't just plug it in and hope for the best. You will need to spend a fair amount of time adjusting and tweaking each axis.
You will need to find the best location for the camera. My 27" monitor sits on a shelf 10" above my desk. For me the best location for the camera is on the shelf the monitor sits on and about 30" from my head. But, this is with the TrackClip Pro which is much lower than the HatClip.
Make sure none of the wires can be hooked and yank on. Things are too fragile.
Some who have tried it say it gives them motion sickness at first but they get over it shortly.
Once you are comfortable with it you will catch yourself twisting your head around while watching YouTube videos of flying, trying to look around :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Much adoo about nothing. I have had a track IR since they became available (2002). There are no issues to worry about. Just get one and enjoy.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

WB_FlashOver wrote:Once you are comfortable with it you will catch yourself twisting your head around while watching YouTube videos of flying, trying to look around :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Cheers
Roger
Ha, you too?! :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”