A2A Development Update 4/8/18

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: A2A Development Update 4/8/18

Post by pilottj »

I remember my IP during my PPL was an ex Army chopper pilot. He really drove the 'pilotage' and dead reckoning skills into my head. I think his main goal was to show me, that 'we' with our ol grey matter, doing some basic math and some guesstimating can actually be quite accurate. For x-country, he would make me fill out the paper flight plan, do all the math....etc...then after takeoff, put me under the hood, make me fly my calculated headings based on Winds Aloft report, and with my predicted ETE. No VOR allowed, just heading and time.
He would pull off the hood when I said I was at my waypoint, look out the window and sure enough, the waypoint was below the plane.

But yeah the technology is great, and I believe you can bet the most out of the new technology if you have a solid grasp of the fundamentals. The G1000 has RMI pointers..."heads fall - tails rise" . A great feature for quickly glancing when you are about to cross an intersection.

It's all good. I think the automation can actually enhance the stick n rudder flying, with the new FADEC systems and such, freeing the pilot to focus more on the stick n rudder. Kind of like the P-51's automation allowing the pilot to focus more on the task of flying the mission...compared to the very manual P-47 for example.

Anyway, yeah, these are the kinds of discussions I love about A2A, the forums, and the products. A2A makes the old MSFS tagline 'As Real As It Gets' mean something.

Lol I wonder how many virtual pilots will be bitten like the many real life 'doctors' when the V35 is released. I suspect the V35 tech forum will have some interesting threads following it's release.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Oracle427 wrote:I guess they've never read Stick and Rudder!

Bottom line is, I look forward to the upcoming releases. It is very exciting to to hear about these subtle changes that will add to the character of the aircraft and expose more of the dimensions that make piloting an aircraft such a magical experience.
It's funny how different pilots look at flying. It probably depends on how long you have been doing it and what kind of flying you have done or are doing. For me, the "magic" left long ago. In my world flying is work and the aircraft is a tool to accomplish that work. The only emotion I feel is when we lose someone who I might have helped. For me, flying an airplane has been a VERY serious business where life and death were one bad decision away. I've spent a lifetime helping pilots toward the ability to make that correct decision. It's been a long hard road with very little time to enjoy the "magic".
There was a time early on when flying was fun. I miss those early days. Today my "fun" comes from being with other pilots like myself; pilots that have traveled that long hard road and survived. Today my world is a constant revolving effort to help those who came after me reach the point in life where I am now.
Dudley Henriques

HighBypass
Airman First Class

Post by HighBypass »

...children of the magenta.. (RIP Capt. Warren Vanderburgh) excellent set of clips on youtube from his presentations to American Airlines crews. 8) As a layman I found them both entertaining and educational.

Perhaps any aircrew training should include some glider flying?? Very little automation.. 8)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

"Click click, click click"

I'm saddened to learn of his passing. I've always loved that video and try to share it with others.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

HighBypass wrote:...children of the magenta.. (RIP Capt. Warren Vanderburgh) excellent set of clips on youtube from his presentations to American Airlines crews. 8) As a layman I found them both entertaining and educational.

Perhaps any aircrew training should include some glider flying?? Very little automation.. 8)
Amazing series of videos ! Thanks

caleb1
Senior Airman

Post by caleb1 »

A2A: Any chance you would be able to add TDFI's True Glass to the Bonanza? And maybe even the other planes too.

Thanks for any consideration.
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

Scott - A2A wrote:Just a small update. We're working on some new technology for the Bonanza, mainly a deeper modeling of the analog / steam gauges. We could have just pushed the Bo out the door as is but we ended up seeing something that interested us and are now following it. It's pushed things ahead a bit, but as someone who has owned and operated a bunch of older airplanes without digital panels, it's become more apparent that those pilots like myself who have become used to operating these kinds of physical cockpit environments, it's a different experience and skill set to those who have only operated new / glass cockpits.

So we've been consulting with our friends in the avionics field and are looking deeper into these gauges, in all of their beautiful imperfections. I expect next week this new avionics system will be in alpha, and then we can start to put everything together for beta.

Scott.
this is pretty cool because I love steam gauges. Make it a home run guys.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Scott

What year group will the V35 Beech Bonanza be modeled after? Will tip tanks be available as an option?

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :?:

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

I can only hope we are getting the exact same panel gages and layout that were used in the test flights in the video, including hopefully the digital ones. :wink:

And because as far as I can tell it has not been mentioned in all these posts I would like to say WOW on the modeling and textures on this aircraft shown in the video. Gorgeous work as usual and can't wait to get a hold of this when it's released.

One question I had about Scott's video was I noticed the head-on view of a running V-Tail on the ground and the back end was wobbling about and wondered if this aircraft suffers from yaw problems while on the ground also because all planes vibrate and shake but not like that from what I have seen on others that tend to bob up and down.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

caleb1
Senior Airman

Post by caleb1 »

jeepinforfun wrote:I can only hope we are getting the exact same panel gages and layout that were used in the test flights in the video, including hopefully the digital ones. :wink:
+1.

I like a good mix of analog/steam gauges and digital ones.
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Good grief, no! I'd prefer an analogue tachometer. Can't stand the digital ones.

As with a digital watch, a digital tach needs to be read properly, processed, analyzed, and reacted to. An analogue can be glanced at and you have all you need. Besides the movement of the needle will be more apparent than digits moving.

No to digital instruments (unless we can choose). :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I really try to like digital instrumentation and GPS navigation, but I just can't get there! As Erik pointed out, a glance and I know instantly where I am in the acceptable range and how much room I have to move within the range. I realize that it just comes down to me being more visual and not as easily incorporating a range of numbers in my mind!

So, I ask myself why I don't prefer GPS? And I guess thats because I'm a curmudgeon...and I fear change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Medtner wrote:Good grief, no! I'd prefer an analogue tachometer. Can't stand the digital ones. <br abp="704"><br abp="705">As with a digital watch, a digital tach needs to be read properly, processed, analyzed, and reacted to. An analogue can be glanced at and you have all you need. Besides the movement of the needle will be more apparent than digits moving. <br abp="706"><br abp="707">No to digital instruments (unless we can choose). :-)

I think it would make a good progression toward reading and understanding the digital gage age that is going on now and help train our brains, after all we already have all analog panels in the past releases and A2A does like to bring us new training practices.

Being able to choose back and forth would of course be icing on the cake. :D
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

Dragnhorn
Airman

Post by Dragnhorn »

My all time favorite aircraft! This is great news. :D

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

cflord wrote:Scott

What year group will the V35 Beech Bonanza be modeled after? Will tip tanks be available as an option?

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :?:
N40G, the virtual model featured in the video is a '72 V35B with IO-520, based in East Hartford, CT. Incidentally, this the same model briefly featured in the development video years back depicting wing types. Given this plane's location, it is a pretty good guess that Scott got quite familiar with this airplane.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/runway27r/37067807451

The one being flight tested in the video is Mr. Safran's N544T, which is a '61 N35 powered by an IO-470 based in Saratoga Springs NY.
https://flightaware.com/photos/view/551 ... 32967fa31a

I would put money on the V35B (N40G) for sure, and perhaps another variant or two in the package. As far as tips, I believe we will get Tip Tank options as well as a host of other speed mods, and maybe a prop mod or two. We shall see. :D I have a very good feeling about this release, I think it will be one of A2A's masterpieces.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”