FSX Steam

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
awash2002
A2A ACE

FSX Steam

Post by awash2002 »

I had problems with FSX Boxed so I moved to FSX Steam and now my A2A aircraft can't find FSX Steam and will not install

Vinceki
Airman Basic

Re: FSX Steam

Post by Vinceki »

Hi,

I had similar problems when I moved to Steam from Boxed. Please make sure that the boxed is fully and correctly uninstalled. Also, there are numerous forums that deal with this problem. Just type in in Google and you'll find many useful answers.

Vince

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

There are probably remnants of 'boxed' in your registry so Steam installed as a different entry. I know there are workarounds for a dual install. Try navigating to your Steam folder and look for the Steam Apps\Common subfolder (as I recal)l. There should be a sub-sub folder named FSX.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

There is

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

I bet its finding the boxed FSX entry in the registry first and then not looking farther? So maybe go in the registry editor and clearing that out?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Greg,

as Skycat and Buffy pointed out, if you still have a remnant of your old FSX on the computer, when you run the A2A installer (and updates) you will need to redirect the installer to the Steam location.

There's a page that comes up in the installer called Destination Location, and a box near the bottom titled "Destination Folder" and a browse button.

Click the browse button and from the next menu, select the drive (a,b,c,etc) that you have FSX-SE installed on, then navigate to FSX:SE, which should look like this:
your drive\games\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Select okay, then "next" and and then "next" again to begin the install.

. So mine is on the E drive, so my destination looks like this E:\games\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I got my original FSX Gold installed the path is C:/FSX and it loads up so much faster

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Well, that's fine. If it works well for you then keep using your regular install of FSX.

It does take a bit more time for FSX-SE to load, but I find it more stable than the disc version.

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I plan to until I get a new computer with P3D 4.2 on it. Yes I'm making to jump to P3D in the future

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Thats all good! Truth be told, when A2A ports over their older aircraft to p3Dv4 I won't be far behind!

Good luck to you, Greg!

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

awash2002 wrote:I plan to until I get a new computer with P3D 4.2 on it. Yes I'm making to jump to P3D in the future

Ditto, but it may be some months before I can afford a new PC. By then, all the existing fleet should be P3D V4 capable. I was hoping that A2A might also support FSW, but I'm not so sure I like where that sim is headed at the moment.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Same and I hope that FSW will be a great sim but for me I'm sticking with FSX then going to P3D V4

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I recently re-installed Steam:FSX for some testing and had the same problem with the A2A installers. They could not find it basically. I ended up using this registry repair tool to tell it where the Steam version was installed. FTX Central couldn't find it either.
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads ... lity-v121/

Steve.

Stafford Brown
Airman

Post by Stafford Brown »

I enjoyed my 3 years with FSX steam. At the time Dovetail games was my hero and I was rooting for them and checking in frequently. As time went on and we were waiting, and waiting, and waiting, then more waiting for their new sim, so long that P3D4 came out and XP11 came out (maybe that triggered their early access release, maybe it was a panicked response?)

More and more I saw developers only putting their older generation products available for download on steam on none of their current. After some fan fair in Steam editions release it seems it quickly fizzled out and the premium developers are making their products for P3D and XP11 only. After getting some big names on board for FSW and all the big announcements seems we never heard anything from them again regards to FSW.

After reading and reading and frooglesims state of the sim nation ending line "The way I see it, there are two simulators on the market, P3D and XPlane, pick one - and go fly" I thought good grief he's right.

I pulled the plug on FSX-Steam and went all in on P3D V4. Never been happier simming.

As a high level InfoTech worker we are constantly having to choose between 3-4 platforms. Just like these simulators, we can only wait so long for a platform while the others push ahead. At some point enough is enough. I never purchased FSW, and just reading the reviews on steam and watching the youtube reviews of the sim and the missions I thought oh good gosh this is pathetic. Just the fact they are making mission packs using seems like their own voices (come on can't even get a proper voice actor for day?) and charging for them.

I have this thing called an imagination, its free. I can imagine my own epic scenarios and fly them. It's upsetting to think they are spending time and energy creating these things then charging for it, just focus on all the missing pieces and finish it. Thank you P3D for getting me through my heartbreak :)

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I got FSX fixed running great

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”