Amelia Earhart; the latest news...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Amelia Earhart; the latest news...

Post by Paul K »

This is appearing in the media here in Britain, and in the US, I believe. I'll stick with the BBC and Economist reports:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43323944

https://www.economist.com/news/science- ... w-evidence

The story of the bones seems to have changed over the years. I first read they were found by locals who were visiting the otherwise uninhabited Nikumaroro ( then called Gardner Island ), and were taken, not to Fiji, but to the Gilbert Islands, where the local British colonial officer wrote "they are probably those of the missing American aviatrix". Unfortunately he was onTarawa, and the bones were lost in subsequent events there.

Now the story is that they were discovered by British visitors and taken to Fiji, where a doctor identified them as male - a mistaken identification, according to this latest theory.

Whatever the true story, I bet Ric Gillespie of TIGAR, who is adamant that Amelia ender her days on Gardner Island, will be rubbing his hands with glee.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Re: Amelia Earhart; the latest news...

Post by jeepinforfun »

I hope some day we will know what happened to put this sad story to rest but the below quote, said with out the actual bones, just makes me laugh at this fellows arrogance.

"Until definitive evidence is presented that the remains are not those of Amelia Earhart," Dr Jantz writes in the paper, "the most convincing argument is that they are hers."

At best all of these past breakout theories are just that, entertaining plausibilities.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

It certainly is plausible. Nikumaroro is only 200 miles south of Howland Island. It is easier to believe than all the conspiracy crap. I was involved in investigations for almost 30 years and most of the time if it looks like a duck it's a duck. But I think quite a few people don't want to know for sure as the mystery is much more tantalizing than the truth. The woman's shoe and the booze is sure interesting. I don't think very many woman visited the remote uninhabited island of Nikumaroro with a bottle of Bénédictine prior to 1940. Too bad the bones are gone, might be able to extract DNA depending on their condition. "Only the shadow knows". :D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Paul,

I have it on very good (fourth hand) authority that there are anything up to 30 Amelia Earharts, wrapped in grease paper and buried in crates, somewhere on an airport in Burma. I've passed this on to TIGHAR but they haven't returned my call yet.... looking for backers really. Interested?

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

They have their top men on it. TOP. MEN.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Oracle427 wrote:They have their top men on it. TOP. MEN.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

dvm wrote:Too bad the bones are gone, might be able to extract DNA depending on their condition.
What happened to the bones? I was thinking the same thing: modern DNA testing methods.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Adam_NZ wrote:
dvm wrote:Too bad the bones are gone, might be able to extract DNA depending on their condition.
What happened to the bones? I was thinking the same thing: modern DNA testing methods.

Adam.
Adam, I think they've just been lost over time. If they were taken to Tarawa, as I read many years ago, they'll be mixed up with a lot of other bones and untraceable. If they went to Fiji, as is now reported, well, who knows - someone's memory might be triggered and can point to where they were buried. Somewhat unlikely, though.

I read Ric Gillespie's 'Finding Amelia' about six or seven years ago, which came with a CD of material - maps, newspaper reports and so on. He made quite a convincing case for Gardner Island, including some theories about Fred Noonan's navigation. Some of the relics Ric has found there, over a number of expeditions, are intriguing. There is a slight problem though, in my view - the island is "contaminated" so to speak, by the presence of a shipwreck, the S.S. Norwich City. Anything of a western origin found on the island could have been left there by people from the ship. Just my opinion, of course.

I do rather enjoy historical detective stories such as this. When Richard III's body was discovered, I was enthralled. :)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Oracle427 wrote:They have their top men on it. TOP. MEN.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

To summarize the BIG, VERY BIG!!! news: Many years ago somebody found bones that could have been Earhart's. An expert at the time examined them and said they were male bones, not Earhart's. So nobody bothered to properly account for those bones and they are missing. And now somebody is saying they probably were Earhart's after all.

The world really, REALLY needs an A2A news update! :D
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Killratio wrote:Paul,

I have it on very good (fourth hand) authority that there are anything up to 30 Amelia Earharts, wrapped in grease paper and buried in crates, somewhere on an airport in Burma. I've passed this on to TIGHAR but they haven't returned my call yet.... looking for backers really. Interested?

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

D
LMFAO!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”