b17 carb heat and air filters

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
ebbsy1
Airman Basic

b17 carb heat and air filters

Post by ebbsy1 »

hi i was doing a flight into Montreal temp was -7 c and i had the co pilot controlling the rpm cowl flaps. i was on approach and got the message that i was stalling while doing 130 knots.my question is is there a way to raise the carb temps while on approach.also ive noticed a message in the cockpit saying airfilters must be switched off above 15000ft and switched on bellow 15000ft but with the aid of the copilot turned on i get told to switch off above 8000ft to avoid overworking the turbo so not sure what the correct procedure is there.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: b17 carb heat and air filters

Post by AviationAtWar »

Leave your turbos up at 8 and pull power back with the throttles rather than the other way around. The turbos will provide a little heat.

ebbsy1
Airman Basic

Post by ebbsy1 »

thx for the reply,i think thats what i did but ill try it again see if it works,just trying to figure out if theres some other way of raising the carb heat when temps are low on approach and the outside temp is freezing.ill try control rpm my self manually see if thats helps or maybe turn turbo up to 10

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Turbo selector should be at "8" ("7" for 91 octane fuel)., if you have to go around there's a high risk of applying to much power. :)
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

ebbsy1
Airman Basic

Post by ebbsy1 »

still learning the aircraft,so your saying never set at 10. im not sure on what grade oil to use yet for hot and cold weather i flew aroung the uk from humberside to newcatle down to isle of white back up to humberside,next day i flew to shannon airport island then onto canada were i went to bed and left the flight running overnight woke up and landed. im currently at reagan air port washington using real world weather and not changed the oil setting once average weather s been about -3 so far and ive gone through 2 sets of landing gear lol but the engine appears to be fine
thx for the reply

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

have a look in the manuals :-)
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”