I came home from an amazing adventure...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
MaxZ
Senior Airman

I came home from an amazing adventure...

Post by MaxZ »

...and the journey is only beginning.

Heres a litte update on my flying carrer, that started with flightsimming, and by the good feedback on my last post, I thought some might be interested in what is going on.

Two weeks ago, I was invited to Klatovy in the Czech Republic for a Class/Type Rating course, following an online application. Turned out the people there liked me and had the impression that I am able to fly. So I started my training with PINK Aviation Services. After a few system knowledge classrooms, tests, traffic patterns, quizzes and simulator rides, I got told that I was to commence training. On a one week mission to 69°N, Bardufoss in Norway to be precise. The mission was to help some soldiers who were on an exercise there get their parajumps done.
So on Sunday, 24.03., at 0500 hours we fuelled one of our planes, an SC7 Skyvan, up to the brim with JET-A1.

ImageImage
The pink party side and the grey business side of the Skyvan. You can take it for granted, that always the pink side gets presented.

The crew consisted of two trainees and our very experienced instructor. The first flight was from Klatovy, CZ to Linköping, SE (LKKT-ESSL) for a refuelling stop. Then on to Evenes (ENEV). The following days we always departed, very early from there to Bardufoss (ENDU) to conduct the mission. All flights were quality hand flying flights, since we do not have an A/P installed. On Friday, 02.03., we flew to Stavanger (ENZV) and left our Skyvan, with which I already fell in love with, there (for our next mission to Iceland next week) and continued on to Prag with Norwegian Air Shuttle.

To have this as a first aviation job is to me like hitting the jackpot. And also this mission to the north of Europe was simply breathtaking. But enough reading, see for yourself. I'll try to think of a small caption for each picture. Ask me anything you want to know.

ImageImage
This is a shot of the cockpit of one of our SC7. On the lower left, you can see the tiller, to steer the A/C on the ground. Seeing our PAX/Cargo compartment, I always have to think of the video, where Scott shows how spacious the Comanche is because of its rectangular cross section. Here you can even fit a car.

A selfie after my very first flight. Damn, it was cold. We couldn't turn on the heat, since we needed the range.

I know, the picture is pretty blurred, but I suck big time at taking pictures. Especially whilst flying.

Stunning Norwegian Fjordsca...ähm...landscape, enroute to ENEV.

Some more of this breathtaking scenery. I've had Orbx' Norway region since it came out, but I have never flown there so far. I think I should, njust to compare and check if they did a good job.

Mandatory, pokerface pilot picture.

Last PAX to exit the plane. Our passengers are even worse than the regular airline passengers who get up once the aircraft is taxying. Our don't even wait for that!!!!

Sunset on Friday, when we flew to Stavanger. I didn't even capture the best moments and scenes. I just enjoyed the breathtaking and awe-inspiring views I got.

Phillip, the instructor always had a watchful eye on me during the mission. We used all flights also as training flights for the rating.

I hope you have enjoyed my post - let me know what you think!
Greetings from Austria,
Max
Public service announcement: You put an aircraft in a hangar, not a hanger.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: I came home from an amazing adventure...

Post by AKar »

That's probably the most... tuned Skyvan I've ever seen. :D There have been two Skyvans around here, OH-SBA and OH-SBB, I understand with common origins for their time here. Bravo-Alpha is nowadays owned and operated by Aalto University (ex-Helsinki University of Technology), and at least was used to collect air samples to analyze pollution caused by marine traffic or something that sort of prop hat stuff. I've met that one in person several times. Bravo-Bravo was lost back in 1989 when doing their original job here: carrying mail. How I understand the story, it was usually refueled after the last flight of the day to be fully prepared for the morning, but due to delays or something in that specific occasion it was not. Undetected by the early morning flight crew, I think themselves behind the schedule if I recall, it ran out of fuel and ditched near Mariehamn. In a miracle bigger than that of Hudson's, there was no loss of life, but the airplane was total loss. Like any Skyvan having any sort of immersion damage will likely be, due to construction.

Nice pics you've posted there! Thanks for sharing! :)

-Esa

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

Yep, I guess that is why Fuel check is in the very beginning of our daily checklist. Electric Master ON, Batteries ON, Fuel Checked.
And afterwards we check it again with the dipsticks. Good to see that operators learn from mistakes of others.

About the mail-flying: I think PINK has an AOC for cargo also. Needs to be "renewed" but I think they may be planning that in the near future.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

It is not that they hadn't the fuel checks and double checks and then some in their daily routines back in late eighties, but you know how it goes when the cheese slices move inconveniently.

It certainly is a great packet freighter or mail carrier for sure! The problem as a cargo plane is its poor floor loading, in particular in the aft area. It may be an issue if attempting to carry more exotic stuff, even if it was dimensionally feasible.

-Esa

HighBypass
Airman First Class

Post by HighBypass »

Congratulations on your new job, Max. Thanks for sharing! 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Wow, stunning images thanks for sharing and posting on the forums. I know its not considered a good looker but I personally love the skyvans and the boxy aircraft, always shout out to me workhorse! A plane that gets the job done 8) 8)

Best of luck and all the best as things progress for you.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Great thread Max. Unusual to see a Skyvan - I've flown as a passenger in its big brother, the Shorts 360. Very odd to fly in a square aeroplane.

A question about this photo of yours - looking down into the footwell and rudder pedals in the image on the left - is that daylight coming in? Are there windows down there, or am I seeing things?
MaxZ wrote: ImageImage

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

@Paul K: Yes you are right, it is daylight coming in, but only because we opened the nose for maintenance, no windows down there.

Thank you, HighBypass and Lewis!
@Lewis: Oh yeah, goddamnit, I LOVE the oddballs and underdogs!

@AKar:Yes, I guess it is a great super-express freighter for small or bulky stuff, despite the speed. The company stopped flying cargo years ago, because they wanted to concentrate more on skydiving, aerial photography and measurement flights. Looking forward to flying at the RIAT this summer!!!!!!

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for the info, Max. You are going to RIAT ??

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

Yes, going to RIAT. We sell tickets for Air-to-Air spotters, flying formation with all sorts of aircraft there, so the photographers can get good shots.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

MaxZ wrote:Yes, going to RIAT. We sell tickets for Air-to-Air spotters, flying formation with all sorts of aircraft there, so the photographers can get good shots.
Max, I hope you enjoy it. I've never been ( it's on my 'to do' list ) - an incredibly diverse collection of military aircraft, all in one place. As a gathering of global air forces, I don't think there's anything to match it. I posted a couple of departure day videos here:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=63039

Please post some photos of your visit, and the flights there and back. :)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

MaxZ: Thank you for the great post! Congrats on advancing in your flying career. I like that Skyvan, and that crazy paint job!

Seeya
ATB

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Great report Max. Interesting that you should 'start' in Klatovy. Back in 2005 I was there with the dance
group and performed there for several days. Started my 'love of Europe in the summer' there in Klatovy!

Paul

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Awesome to hear that you got on with PINK! In the freight dog world, they're legendary, even on this side of the pond.

Cool to see they finally got the MT props put on the birds. They had been mulling it over for a while, but it's not an inexpensive proposition to do. Too bad you can't compare it to the "before" and know how loud it was inside with the old 3-blade props.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Wonderful post Max - the smile on your face says it all. Thanks for sharing, congratulations, and hope you have many safe and happy flights with PINK! :D

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”