Private pilot's license

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Private pilot's license

Post by AbstractArtist »

hi, I am looking for scholarships for aviation because I brought the C172 trainer to prep be on flight school. I live near KCRW. I also need scholarships where I am very low income in WV. Any advice and any help would be appreicated!

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Private pilot's license

Post by Paughco »

Talk to some of the local flight school operators and see if they'll let you work for instruction hours. First job will probably be to sweep out the hangar. From there you'll graduate to running the fuel pump and washing airplanes. Back in the day it was a day of work for a 1/2 hour of instruction.

Seeya
ATB

c141fe
Airman Basic

Post by c141fe »

AOPA is offering scholarships for flight training , check them out

plicpriest1
Airman

Post by plicpriest1 »

First of all, I wish you the best of luck!

Now, most pilots understand that luck is a last safety net. So lets see what we can do to figure something out.

Are you looking to do this as a career? If so, probably gonna need to move to a location where you can engage in full time training. If thats the case, I would recommend financing.

If this is something that you always wanted and am looking to stick with general aviation, then the best approach is to go to a flight school on the field. Once you make that decision, that no matter what, no matter how long it’s going to take, then it will happen. When I said I’m going to get my instrument no matter what, the pieces came together. Now I’m a 145 captain :)

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

If you are serious about becoming a pilot, working a normal job to save up is the best path. Scholarships are, as they are for anything, not always easy to get or all-inclusive. I don't want to make it seem like a small amount of money, but you can get your PPL in $4-6,000 at your average part 61 school. Its not spare change, but given many of the frivolous expenditures which people make: vacations, frequent eating out, weekly theater visits, etc. you can save your money and live a little more spartan a lifestyle if money is an issue. Or simply save up for a year.

If it is something you would like to do as a career, if you are not willing to save and spend the money, and make whatever sacrifice you may have to make to afford it, then perhaps it isn't the right thing for you. People go into far greater debt to attend a 4 year school to graduate with a degree in a vapid liberal arts major only to end up doing nothing related and being in major debt for decades. This, by comparison, is not much.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Another option is getting grants through FAFSA, to go to a college/university that offers flight training and degrees. There are many schools that do this. I was getting nearly $11,000 a year in grants to attend a university.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

I might be slightly biased, but another option to consider either now or further down the road is military flight training. Would require a lot of research and planning on your part, but it's darned good training! Best of luck with your goal; I learned to fly up to my commercial rating in the civilian world, then switched to flying for the USAF. It's definitely doable!

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

I always wanted to join Civil Air Patrol as a pilot, have a job and fly.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”