See ya

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
awash2002
A2A ACE

Re: See ya

Post by awash2002 »

I'll stick around and I could use some help on the T6 I can't land that dang thing to save my life HELP!!!!! Last landing almost resulted in a very nasty ground flip

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I feel your pain! I have a 75/25 success rate at controlling the ground loop. 75 percent of the time I completely lose control and spin off into the weeds. Oracle has some good advice In a related post that I think I'm going to take on board. Mainly, I'm going to concentrate on technique with fast taxiing exercises. Then progress to "touch and go's" and pattern work. It just takes time and determination.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

The only technique I have found for landing the T-6 is to basically oscillate the rudder pedals fairly quickly around touch down until you get to around 20kts or so. You really have to be on your toes watching to see if the tail is starting to swing in one direction or the other, and you have to be pretty quick to correct it otherwise you wind up skidding/ground looping. It took me quite a few touch and goes one day for a few hours just to get somewhat proficient at it and trying different methods. It also helps to be on the lower end of the landing speeds as well. The closer you are to stalling the better I have found since it reduces the amount of roll out after landing, and therefore reduces your chance of ground looping. :lol: It does seem from my experience to have a higher chance of ground looping with higher landing speeds for some reason even though in my mind I would think the aerodynamics flowing over the airframe would keep it straight at higher airspeeds.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Hey, AWASH, man. Don't leave. It's like we're all in the coolest fighter squadron out there. Sometimes we may have our differences, but we stick together and move on to the next mission. Hope you hang in. I appreciate your posts.

Far as the T-6 goes, I recommend that you watch this YouTube video and try again. Pick a comfortable field, something with a big runway and easy winds. Then pick it up from there. The key is a "stable approach." Here's the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UZmEha ... oy0A&t=18s (don't know how many times I've posted this... :roll: ).

Roadburner's got it. I would recommend that you make those rudder oscillations quickly, but keep the amplitude small; just enough to correct any tendency to swing (unless things really start to get out of hand, of course). Get that T-6 down and the Mustang will be no sweat. Can't tell you how many times I've parked my Six and have expected the Shift+7 crew chief to say that I need to replace my tires due to the tread being scrubbed off! :oops:

Seeya
ATB

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

:lol: Paughco the Mustang is easy as cake. With over 400 hours on her I can almost land with my eyes closed. The T-6 is wholly different beast to me. I do remember in the beginning having difficulties with the Mustang but that was easily over come. The T-6 still bites me every now and again even knowing what I do.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I love reading these responses because this is exactly why so many veteran pilots enjoy flying the T-6, because it always requires their A game and even then, it can still take you by surprise.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

aussietomcatter
Airman

Post by aussietomcatter »

Scott - A2A wrote:I love reading these responses because this is exactly why so many veteran pilots enjoy flying the T-6, because it always requires their A game and even then, it can still take you by surprise.

Scott.
I recently did my real world conversion to the Harvard here in Australia. I woke up last night after turning base in my dream. Haven't had an aircraft demand this much out of me before, it's something else.

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I love the T6

jclay13
Senior Airman

Post by jclay13 »

Greg,

I don't post a lot, mostly spend time just reading. Sometimes it never hurts to just stay in the shadows. I do know awash2002 is one of the handles I recognize on this forum and it won't be the same without you around. Stop back now and then and say hi.

Jon

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I will if I don't post it's because I'm getting my T-6 Texan ready for Sun N Fun

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

awash2002 wrote:I will if I don't post it's because I'm getting my T-6 Texan ready for Sun N Fun
We all need some Sun and Fun in our lives. Enjoy you flight awash2002

Keep smiling
Tug :)

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Jacques wrote:I feel your pain! I have a 75/25 success rate at controlling the ground loop. 75 percent of the time I completely lose control and spin off into the weeds. Oracle has some good advice In a related post that I think I'm going to take on board. Mainly, I'm going to concentrate on technique with fast taxiing exercises. Then progress to "touch and go's" and pattern work. It just takes time and determination.
Not sure what you have for rudder control. But a set of high quality high performance rudder pedals can make a big diff. Since I got my cross wind pedals the T-6 and Mustang are very manageable even with a reasonable cross wind. The problem with many of the pedals available is they do not have the long travel and precision and it is easy to over control.

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro twisting flight stick

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

using a twist joystick to control the T-6 or the P51 will be very difficult in my opinion. If no mater how much you practice you still cannot master it that is likely the problem. A run of the mill set of pedals will give you much more control and as I said something in the league of the crosswind pedals will surprise you how much easier it is to control your war birds on landing and takeoffs.

HighBypass
Airman First Class

Post by HighBypass »

I have no experience of the T-6, but I've been simming a while. My apologies if you have already tried this suggestion and/or if the T-6 doesn't like being treated in such a manner. Have you tried using differential braking? Assuming you have the brakes on the trigger of the stick, then perhaps you could try applying the brakes as you apply the twist for the rudder?

NOTE: That with only having a trigger for a brake switch I also make sure that the anti-skid system in the simulator is active for ANY aircraft I fly. If you do not have this activated then you will lock up the brakes. Again - my apologies if the T-6 has this built in by A2A.

I use a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X stick. It has a proportional rocker switch on the throttle as well as a twist function (I use the rocker). Some aircraft I use in FSX:SE have differential braking which will activate with rudder input... if the brakes are applied ;) .

Happy Flying! Clear Virtual Skies to you!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”