UK Totally Paralysed!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
del
Airman First Class

UK Totally Paralysed!

Post by del »

Two inches of snow - schools and railways closed, panic buying. Lots of sledges.
Del

stiz
BDG

Re: UK Totally Paralysed!

Post by stiz »

fine around the Yorkshire coast here, 90% roads open (some on the moor are closed), shops open, people went to work, docs are open, schools were a 50/50 split between open and closed.

But yea, the chaos down south, if you didn't laugh at it all you'd cry in despair! :?

del
Airman First Class

Post by del »

We're half way between Scarborough and York. The local schools are closed and of course the kids are loving it! I think the trouble is that we rarely get conditions like this and so are generally unprepared for it.
Del

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Barely a dusting of snow in the U.K. and it's the usual panic. Trains cancelled, people stranded.. but in Norway, where they have ten times our annual snowfall every week, they just get on with it and it's business as usual.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIs5Q7MvEXI[/youtube]

:roll: Not so 'Great' Britain.

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Having grown up and lived half my life in the Canadian prairies and now living in the UK I can honestly say there is no comparison. The snow here is simply more dangerous due to the higher temperatures and warmth of the ground. It's WAY more slippery. Add to that the fact that nothing here is designed for snow and it is instant chaos.

I just don't go out when it snows to avoid some idiot with bald tyres driving at twice the ideal speed for the conditions careering into me.
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

del wrote:We're half way between Scarborough and York. The local schools are closed and of course the kids are loving it! I think the trouble is that we rarely get conditions like this and so are generally unprepared for it.
Del
just outside scarborough here, to be fair to SBC, despite their many failings they've really kept on top of it, all the major roads have been fully clear (though slushy), and mostly free of ice except for the more isolated ones.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

It's all about perspective. A coupe of inches in NY or NJ is a big deal. A couple of feet already on the ground in the middle of a blizzard in Hakodate is business as usual. That was an eye opener for me one January a few years ago.

They don't even bother to salt the roads as it's too cold.

Be safe out there!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

What amazes me is that schools close at the drop of a hat er, snowflake, yet the place is swarming with kids playing in the stuff! IN MY DAY we went to school and made killer slides in the playground. Streams of kids sliding down, arms out in balance mode, brilliant! Until the slides got so long and looking back, bloody dangerous, the teachers salted them. Booo!
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Ron Attwood wrote:What amazes me is that schools close at the drop of a hat er, snowflake, yet the place is swarming with kids playing in the stuff! IN MY DAY we went to school and made killer slides in the playground. Streams of kids sliding down, arms out in balance mode, brilliant! Until the slides got so long and looking back, bloody dangerous, the teachers salted them. Booo!

The school's cant take the risk of some kid falling down then being blamed by the parents.

Outside the school this morning when I dropped off my daughter there were three teachers just to make sure the kids walked safely 30 feet from the gate to the door and they were discussing possible closure if any teachers couldn't make it in.

Nobody really cares if the kids slide down the hill next to the school into the road though!
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

del
Airman First Class

Post by del »

One school in the UK has banned snowball fights - they're worried in case the kids embed stones or gravel in them!

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

to be fair ... mine did when i went .. and with good reason ... because kids WOULD but stones in (one kid liked to put razor blades in em, he didn't last long!)..... then you have the "ice balls" .. which weren't nice AT ALL! :shock:

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Paul K wrote: :roll: Not so 'Great' Britain.
You got that right Paul. :evil:
Excuse my French but, this country is an absolute f***ing joke!
No excuses, the place is ran by whats covering the ground at the mo, snowflakes, that are also corrupt to the core, and completely out of touch with reality.

I feel sorry for all the generations that fought, died, and lived through WW2, seems like such a waste now....we might as well be living in a different universe.
I'm only 42 and it's changed radically since I was a kid, and it gets worse literally every day.

This country is finished.

J
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

Thats global warming for ya ?

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

RotorWash wrote:Thats global warming for ya ?
No, it's about Britain's lamentable preparedness for what is normal weather at these latitudes in winter. It happens every year, and gets bloody tiresome.

And John...Amen.

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

Paul K wrote:
RotorWash wrote:Thats global warming for ya ?
No, it's about Britain's lamentable preparedness for what is normal weather at these latitudes in winter. It happens every year, and gets bloody tiresome.

And John...Amen.
actually it DOESNT happen every year in the UK, sure the higher bits and scotland get it yearly, but for everyone we haven't had THIS much snow of a good 5-6 years. As to how areas cope with the icing we normally get ... theres a distinct north vs south and country folk vs city folk difference :wink:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”